On 16/05/2022 at 19:56, margrave said:

I have no problem with fan service. I'm a fan. Service me. 😃

Alongside good writing and not in such an obvious fashion, me either

• 5 months later...
On 25/10/2022 at 09:00, margrave said:

In case it's been missed:

He's back for 3 episodes!!!!

I can't wait!

man I can't wait either!! just sad we have to wait till November of NEXT year to see the specials :(

• Like 2

Thank Zod it's all over. Maybe I can go back to watching my favourite show again now that hack Chibnall is out the door.  It's a shame he was paired with Whittaker, really... She might have had a good run if she'd had a decent writer behind her; instead she got landed with a pile of utter tripe.

• Like 2

Must be honest I finally gave up watching Doctor Who after the second episode of the Flux story arc in series 13, it just wasn’t interesting or enjoyable. I think the series works better with single episodes; the Flux story seemed like one long bad episode.

Although I do feel the series has got progressively worse over the years though and questioned why I kept watching for so long. Series 1-4 for the most part we’re consistently good, then it's been a mix of good and bad episodes since.

However, since Peter Capaldi became the Doctor I feel the series lost the spark that made it enjoyable for the most part. The exception been Series 11 when Jodie debuted, that was one of the most enjoyable in recent times.

With David Tennant back as the Doctor and Russell T Davies writing I might well have to give the 2023 specials a watch for old times sake.

On 28/10/2022 at 01:01, FloatingFatMan said:

Thank Zod it's all over. Maybe I can go back to watching my favourite show again now that hack Chibnall is out the door.  It's a shame he was paired with Whittaker, really... She might have had a good run if she'd had a decent writer behind her; instead she got landed with a pile of utter tripe.

I'm in the same boat. I'll actually come back for at least 4 episodes now to test out the new Doctor, but I'll happily walk away again if this one sucks, too.

On 31/10/2022 at 08:49, Dick Montage said:

Can this please be the end of the abysmally crap actor who plays the current Master

The dancing by the Master to Ra Ra Rasputin was so cringefest 😦

• Like 4

On 31/10/2022 at 07:49, Dick Montage said:

Can this please be the end of the abysmally crap actor who plays the current Master

I haven't liked ANY of the actors playing the Master in NuWho.  The Master is meant to be a cold, calculating genius with zero morals and virtually every actor in NuWho has portrayed the character as a psychopath.  The closest we came was Missy...

Question - If you're new to DR Who and have no idea where to begin...where should I begin?

I prefer stuff with better CG/Graphics than really ancient content though but if its REALLY good I would get past that.

The great thing about The Doctor is each actor has their own story, just to that actor. And each actor is told to play The Doctor as they see fit. So if you start and don't like what you see, just change actors, and try again. While it's all the same character, I think you could start with the first appearance of any of the actors.

My favorite is David Tennant, which I think you might want to start with Eccleston for that though story-line wise. They had a tiff and had to cast Tennant to replace Eccleston.

Before Tennant the best was Tom Baker. Baker, and his storyline are just brilliant! Can't go wrong there at all.

Each Doctor gets to pick their outfit, and has a different writing staff from my understanding. So try each out until you find the one for you.

They say you never forget your first doctor. You never forget the one that's just right for you for sure.

• Like 2

On 31/10/2022 at 16:36, DramaInc said:

Question - If you're new to DR Who and have no idea where to begin...where should I begin?

I prefer stuff with better CG/Graphics than really ancient content though but if its REALLY good I would get past that.

If you have access to it, definitely Doctor Who (2005) Season 1 with Christopher Eccleston.

I preferred the earlier seasons to what we started getting with Peter Capaldi (who is a great actor but the storylines weren't interesting to me), so my favorite seasons would be with Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith (9th, 10th and 11th Doctor's).

Hopefully the new Doctor Who can go in a different direction than Chibnall's writing and get me interested again.

Edit: Like margrave above me, pre 2005 Doctor Who, my other favorite was Tom Baker, who was I think the 4th Doctor. It was on TV when I was a kid and he was the one that got me hooked to the series.

On 31/10/2022 at 14:11, FloatingFatMan said:

I haven't liked ANY of the actors playing the Master in NuWho.  The Master is meant to be a cold, calculating genius with zero morals and virtually every actor in NuWho has portrayed the character as a psychopath.  The closest we came was Missy...

I absolutely adored John Simm - but I will say that his character was NOT the Master but another villain called the same name

So… the new guy who isn’t the doctor yet is being referred to as the 15th. So this means that Tennants return is the return of the 11th. Not another doctor who is same as 11th, it IS 11th?

On 31/10/2022 at 19:35, Dick Montage said:

I absolutely adored John Simm - but I will say that his character was NOT the Master but another villain called the same name

Sure. John Simm was great, but he wasn't the Master.  There hasn't been one since Anthony Ainsley, may he rest in peace.

On 31/10/2022 at 19:37, Dick Montage said:

So… the new guy who isn’t the doctor yet is being referred to as the 15th. So this means that Tennants return is the return of the 11th. Not another doctor who is same as 11th, it IS 11th?

Don't try to work it out, mate... You'll just get a migraine. ;)

• Like 2

On 31/10/2022 at 19:37, FloatingFatMan said:

Sure. John Simm was great, but he wasn't the Master.  There hasn't been one since Anthony Ainsley, may he rest in peace.

We do need a real cold bastard of a Master. But who is too kid focused right now for that to happen. The merchandise is a big draw for the Beeb, so that is unlikely to change.

Actually no! We don’t… cos he is overused now.

On 31/10/2022 at 19:39, Dick Montage said:

We do need a real cold bastard of a Master. But who is too kid focused right now for that to happen. The merchandise is a big draw for the Beeb, so that is unlikely to change.

In my mind, the best option is Richard E Grant.  He's previously played the Great Intelligence on Who so he's appropriate for the show, and has the right amount of gravitas for the role...

Richard_E_Grant_2014.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 07/09/2023 at 14:08, margrave said:

Sorry to post in an old thread, but anyone have an idea when new episodes start up again?

November is when it returns, no date has been given, I would expect the 23rd as that is the 60th anniversary.