Gearbox Reveals New FPS Called "Borderlands"

Made by Gearbox? Awesome, they were in on the original HL if I recall...I'm excited!
Yes there where... you might also know 'em for this;
They are best known for a number of high-profile PC and console games such as Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood, Halo: Combat Evolved for PC, and the Half-Life expansions Opposing Force and Blue Shift.
Should be awesome :D

Made by Gearbox? Awesome, they were in on the original HL if I recall...I'm excited!

No, but close. They weren't involved with making the original Half-Life at all, but they made expansions for it (Blue Shift and Opposing Force). They also made Brothers in Arms and ported Halo to the PC.

Looks like they have encompassed every on going gimmick (4 player co op, mad max-esq and RPG elements) at the moment.

Wonder if it'll be any good. :/

• 2 years later...

I'm ressurrecting a 2 year old thread. My copy shipped this morning. A lot of my friends are raving about the game. Some of them played it last night and went online and played games with the developers, and they said the developers were waaay cool.

There's even an achievement for playing with developers. Weird, right?

Anyway, I'm really excited for this game. Here's a few video reviews:

Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-h...rderlands/57869

IGN:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/957206/...vdr_101909.html

Mostly everyone is describing it as a mixture between a FPS, WoW, and Diablo.

4-player cooperative game?

Can you play it alone? :p

yes, you can play it alone, but it's not as fun...so I've heard.

It's basically a grinding and looting game, and these aspects are more fun with more friends

saw a commercial for this last night, is this cell shaded?

Yes it is, looks like a much more refined visual style as seen in the game XIII

I am really on the fence about this. I am also renting it from Gamefly so I will try it no matter what, but grinding and looting are two things I despise doing in video games, so it really hopefully has a bit more or I will keep playing Uncharted 2 until Modern Warfare 2 comes out.

LAWL "Concept Art" style.

I actually have the exact issue that's posted in the OP, and it's crazy how much the art direction changed. I do like the current art style though

Yes it is, looks like a much more refined visual style as seen in the game XIII

I am really on the fence about this. I am also renting it from Gamefly so I will try it no matter what, but grinding and looting are two things I despise doing in video games, so it really hopefully has a bit more or I will keep playing Uncharted 2 until Modern Warfare 2 comes out.

Larry, let's loot together

Larry, let's loot together

Yeah no doubt, AJ is getting it as well so we have some other people.

If it is weak though I will pass.

Let me guess Larry, you're not a Blizzard fan

Yeah all those games are for the birds. :laugh:

Just not my cup of tea is all, but FPS's obviously are. I gave Oblivion and Fallout each a pretty decent shot, Fallout I even played a few hours, so it is not I will not play them, it is however they need to keep my interest. And I did just watch the Gametrailers review, and they make it pretty clear that the first few hours are a lot of leveling and grinding, so it may indeed lose me. Only one way to find out though, and I am down to give it a shot.

It doesn't look exactly "cell shaded" to me, it's more in the Crackdown art style, so it has "inked lines" like a comic book.

Having played this today, here is my terribly condensed review: If you don't like grinding, give a toss about plots and like doing things solo. Don't buy it.

Having played this today, here is my terribly condensed review: If you don't like grinding, give a toss about plots and like doing things solo. Don't buy it.

How bout this...what if I have half an hour to kill and want to BS with a few friends while shooting sh*t?

I saw a video review for this game and I must say I'll pass. It looks like a Kindergarten rendition of Fallout 3, but with a lot more tedious quests. Plus, you seem to be confined to town for the first part of the game, which pretty much eliminates the freedom. It's cool that the world opens up later on, but I want to be able to run around as I please from the get-go. I have friends who have said Fallen Earth is much better.