Gearbox Reveals New FPS Called "Borderlands"

Thanks for that LOC. Guess I won't be buying the game then :( That is a real shame too - if it supported cross platform play would definately of picked it up, but alas, I know no-one else with the PC version to team up with :(

Cross-plat would have been great for this type of game imo. It's not really a twitch shooter at all (though it feels like that sometimes lol) and it's more of a grinder looter game to me. So, cross-plat with 360 users would have worked out fine I think. Plus, the PC version has an aim assist that is quite strong compared to other games that use it. The controller/mouse+keyboard thing wouldn't have come into play at all.

Plus it's a co-op game, not competitive (though there IS PvP).

So I finally played it properly last night, with two other people so there were three of us, and it is definitely an okay game. I would not call it great yet, but it is definitely decent fun and okay. I am kinda not crazy about pressing X to pick up stuff (and yes I know holding X will grab everything if it is lumped up) but overall it is pretty cool. And if I did not know MW2 was coming out soon, I might care about leveling up a bit more, so do not plan on putting that much time into it (that and I am renting the new Ratchet & Clank game and plan to beat that before MW2 release).

I wish I could get this for 360 actually, I'd have alot more friends to play it with. Which is sad but true. Also, I kinda think it would play better with a controller for some reason...

I wish I could get this for 360 actually, I'd have alot more friends to play it with. Which is sad but true. Also, I kinda think it would play better with a controller for some reason...

Yeah actually I think even though it is an FPS I agree with you there about the controller. As you said it is not really a twitchy shooter, but I find myself jumping and shooting a whole lot when dealing with these skag things, which plays very well on the controller.

Yeah actually I think even though it is an FPS I agree with you there about the controller. As you said it is not really a twitchy shooter, but I find myself jumping and shooting a whole lot when dealing with these skag things, which plays very well on the controller.

Yep initially I thought controlling was extremely twitchy even after turning the sensitivity down. About 20 minutes later I got it all figured out and I think the controller works really well especially considering my love for hotkeys in a game like this.

I want to get in as much time as possible before MW2 comes out because I know I won't touch Borderlands for at least two weeks after MW2's release.

As far as pc version goes its tons of disappointment considering what great features were promised. Game it self is fun and all. Id even say it could be really awesome. BUT. Lack of ****ing primitive functions botched menu with no options for almost anything. Also - where did dx 10 support go? I want my AA! :) Its almost like Age of Conan launch - you get tons of promises that in 90% of cases turn out to be lies. Though you still get quite ok game.

All in all, great game with sloppy finish. Its almost like they ran out of time and threw whatever they had together somehow and released it. Hers me foolishly waiting for some mega patch (a la Titan patch for UT3) to fix all that. Though doubt.

Oh, and btw - if MW2 multiplayer experience is going to be anything like this - ill drive a ****ing screwdriver through their heads. I mean in terms of usability and performance, as once you finally get into game with somewhat ok ping somehow its fine.

Dirty we definitely need to coop sometime. I checked Xbox.com to see who was on and Borderlands was saying you are already level 14! I'm getting passed up by everybody. :p

We actually had room tonight for one more person!! And I am a Level 14 pretty much solely thanks to Massiveterra, He is 21 or something like that so he has been helping me and Habnad out tremendously, but definitely hit me up if you are on and see that we are playing. It is for sure a better game as you level up. I have to say it is pretty damn challenging as well.

yeah skags are tricky espically if your a sniper and dont have a revolver which I have trouble finding.

just wait till you fight skagzilla, hehehehe dont google it if you have not fought him it needs to be a suprise

I got this on 360. I love this game. The "Second Wind" is a nice touch, it's an integral part of the gameplay for me since i'm dying a bit often :) . Add me if you want to do some co-op.

DirtyLarry said:
We actually had room tonight for one more person!! And I am a Level 14 pretty much solely thanks to Massiveterra, He is 21 or something like that so he has been helping me and Habnad out tremendously, but definitely hit me up if you are on and see that we are playing. It is for sure a better game as you level up. I have to say it is pretty damn challenging as well.

asdfasdfasdfasf

I think I'm getting close to the end of the game now and my soldier is at level 30. I'm addicted to completing the missions. I hate seeing unfinished missions in my log, so my OCD keeps kicking in. Probably would've completed the game if I wasn't so set on beating everything. :laugh:

I don't know if I have ever had this much fun playing coop. Yes it is kind of a weird feeling at first because gamers are used to doing the whole RPG thing solo. After a solid three hour marathon, you would think you would be a ways through the game, but thankfully we are still pretty early on in the campaign and enjoying every minute.

Sleeper hit of the year, big time!

The coop in this game is fail because it doesn't work worth crap. I have NEVER had to forward ports on my router for ANY game ever until borderlands. What the hell kind of modern game, especially a coop based one doesn't support upnp? Seriously. Half my friends cant get the game to be able to host games at all.

Also if you are not in the exact same part of the game as the other person all your missions say "ineligible" I am only a few levels ahead of most of my friends and I couldn't do any missions with them. Things like this should have been taken into consideration, You cant be expected to always make sure you are at the same progress through the game as all your friends.

Personal i think the game is good.

Vehicle controls are odd due to mouse movement been steering and some objects you can drive though were as others are not. Perfect case was 2 rocks, one small one big, the big one I could drive though the small one I couldn't, not even over!

The COOP or hosting is a problem, private servers don't seem to work for a LOT of people. I pretty much always have to forward ports for hosting games, so doing it for this wasn't a problem, finding the ports was a bit (Google found them in end). I hosted a game at level 9 and my friend was 17 and he could join. I think its if its the other ways round. As the missions are aimed at the person running the server, so if a lv20 player hosted players that are 8, 9 , 7 ish won't be able to play, it will be to hard. But a lv8 player hosting can have lv20 players join as they can help out with lower level missions.

That's how I understand it.

I do think that graphics are 'different' and pretty cool looking but AA at x16 could be better, its not enough for the black outlines that the objects have.

BTW server name when I am playing is robyholmes if anyone wants to join, lv20 at mo.

While I can live with them, I do feel these are some of the worse vehicle controls I have used in awhile to, and I always tend to do the whole vehicle thing pretty good. They just feel real "flighty" to me if that makes any sense.

I thought the vehicle controls seemed pretty normal as well. What is bothering you about them?

It just feels wrong. I don't like to use both sticks for aim and throttle control on a ground vehicle. It feels wrong in some tangible way. I'd much rather use X to accelerate, Square to brake/reverse, L stick for direction and leave R/L keys for target designation and fire controls.

I find it bizarre that they didn't use that combination and instead came up with their method.

It just feels wrong. I don't like to use both sticks for aim and throttle control on a ground vehicle. It feels wrong in some tangible way. I'd much rather use X to accelerate, Square to brake/reverse, L stick for direction and leave R/L keys for target designation and fire controls.

I find it bizarre that they didn't use that combination and instead came up with their method.

To each his own I guess. I'm not saying I like it but its just one of those things where I'm having so much fun with the game I don't even notice.

Fantastic game, loving it so far. At first, I was a little bothered by the tearing on my screen, however, after overriding it in the NVIDIA control panel I had no problems. I love the graphics - the comic book style graphics take you away in the atmosphere. The lack of AA is a little frustrating at first, but I don't even notice it anymore.

I've yet to forward my ports, but I imagine that'll be fixed soon.

I have to say, I was left a little red faced after I discovered that microphones were "always-on" by default :D and having played with some players for an hour or so...

The only other complaint I have is the chat, where you have to delete the "msg" text before you can type your own message, which makes it very tricky to type and play at the same time. However, after setting up a voice chat in Steam, we got by ok.

Overall, really loving the game (Y).