Neowin's Top Hosts

Question

I've created this sticky thread for members to post their hosts that they use for their website. Clearly, we arent really looking here for the free hosts- geocities, lycos etc - rather the ones you pay for. We want to know about your good and bad expierences, how reliable they have been, how flexable on bandwidth, and overall feature wise. Do it in this format :

host name :

Notable Features :

Pros:

Problems:

Overall:

Link:

So - i'll start of for my website Zeebit :)

host name : OLM

Notable Features : PHP /Mysql, lots of free cgi scripts, PuTTY access, Password protect directories, FTP access

Pros: Excellent tech support- like 5 min replies - and useful ones at that, gives basic stats, Always fast and i've never had the website down - good VFM in general.

Problems: Only 1 FTP account on my setup, No PHPMyAdmin for DB stuff, Have a few probs everynow and again accessing the control panel - which is fairly limited if i'm honest- i'd prefer Cpanel - but for the price- its ok.

Overall: Mainly good- but a few downsides.

Link: http://www.olm.net

I will edit this thread to keep it clean and to the point :)

I am looking for a new host, currently on asmallorange.com BUT they go down on me a lot, at least once or twice a day for a few minutes and I cannot have that. They do have fast support though..

Basically what I'm looking for is something just like asmallorage.com (fast, cheap, great support, same features) but without the down times.

What would you guys recommend?

Hey, this is a server that nwBen, Guol and I own.

Host Name: BTE Solutions - www.btecomputers.net

Description: BTE Solutions offers a range of Domain Names, Web Hosting and Graphic Design services for affordable prices

Notable Features: Linux Servers located in USA, Cpanel, Fantastico, AW Stats, Unlimited e-mail accounts, PHP, MySQL Support, All prices are AUD, Paypal accepted, reliable support.

Site Uptime Monitor: Over 98% Uptime

Testimonials: Customer Reviews

Inquiries: Please PM nwBen, Guol or me :)

Edited by Manson_AAN

I'm using One.com for my website OpenSource Developer.

Host name: One.com

Notable Features: Your database and webspace are put together, so if you have a package of 1000 MB, and you used 50 MB for your webspace, then you are free to use 950 MB for your database!

Pros: 24 hours support, editing some php.ini options, ASP, PHP and MySQL in one package. Webeditor and 22 different domain extensions (like .net, .com, .org, .info, .eu and .biz).

Problems: couldn't login at PhpMyADmin once, but the server admin fixed it within 2 hours that day

Overall: I'm very happy with One.com and I don't think I will ever use another host (since the prices are also very cheap!)

Link: http://www.one.com

im using dreamhost, Best service ever, i once had an issue that i accidently ordered the wrong packaged, they returned my my cash in matter of hours.

space and bandwidth are so big i don't even need to look into it (5TB bandwith and like 500GB hosting and it grows every month for "sticking with them :p")

also domain is free as long as you host with them. cost me like 50-60 dollars a year (used coupon, the link on my siggy also contains my promo code, which is 50$ off (Which is the most you can have :p)

host name: Host Excellence

Notable Features: Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Bandwidth.

Pros: Programs as low as $5.95 / month

Problems: Only 2 plans, and not much in terms of php.ini modification.. It's a shared host :(

Overall: I'd rate this the best hosting company out there. Can't go wrong with a great uptime, never experienced any problems with them.... and everything is unlimited.

Link: http://www.hostexcellence.com

Moved from Godaddy due to their restrictions. I have been using these guys for the past year. Their uptime and support have been great even through my learning curve, so i thought i would post.

Host name : XKO Hosting

Notable Features : Fast Servers and reliable, cpanel and Live support.

Pros: Prices $9.95 & Support

Overall: Excellent plans and features. 64bit and Raid 10 nice and fast for SQL.

Link: www.xko.com.au (Australian Web Hosting)

They have excellent Cpanel Tutorials which really help me get started.

I've began using Dream Host for around 6 months now and it's been great!

Host name: Dream Host

Notable Features: Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Bandwidth.

Pros: Debian based webhost, with SHELL. One click installers and a WIKI for setting up pretty much everything.

Problems: None so far.

Overall: I've had a really great experience so far. If I had a problem I'd visit the WIKi for answers, otherwise post something up in the support forums and members/staff will try and help you.

Link: Dream Host

Edited by Kudos
No coupon codes.

Host name: SmootHosting

Notable Features: Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Bandwidth, Unlimited everything!

Pros: Affordable hosting on Linux Based with Shell access as well as Windows server hosting. One click installers and instant support.

Problems: Just once when email system was down for 2 hours from 7pm in June to upgrade the email server.

Overall: I guess I am advertising here but I wanted to offer the service to the neowin family as I have been a member here for years. People have been very helpful. And would like to help people here by offering a cheaper service. If you do need hosting contact me and let me know you are a member of neowin so I can give you a discount.

Link: Smoothosting

I'd like to offer my own company, recently we opened free hosting service.

What we offer in the free package is:

2 Gigs of space,20 Gigs of bandwidth,4 MySQL Databases,3 Mail Accounts,1 FTP account,CGI Access,PHP5 Perl,Cpanel 11 and lots more.

thats the core resources etc.

Now its located on a rock solid network, hosted on quad opteron servers, current up time is: 10:26:25 up 320 days, 18:53, 1 user

Instant setup as you "order" it.

you can use domains, free dns, and subdomain we offer on the package.

we give minimal support even for the free hosting clients.

For any other paid packages you can see the site.

Link: Asletic Hosting

I run a DirectAdmin-based (control panel) hosting company focusing on high performance/reliability at http://www.vectorlevel.com with plans starting at $5/mo if anyone is interested. Thanks. (Assuming this isn't against the rules as I've seen earlier posts of self-promotion.)

Edited by Orien

Host Name: OVH/Kimsufi

Notable Features: Cheap dedicated servers

Pros: kimsufi range is cheap and the standard ovh boxes are more "pro"

Problems: They just introduced a 3tb transfer limit on the kimsufi servers when it was previously unlimited. European connections are amazing but latency to like the us and asia isnt so great.

Overall: Um i suppose they sort of leave you to yourself. But there is the option for support and stuff if you need it. Don't think you will find cheaper dedicated servers with these features anywhere else.

Link: http://kimsufi.co.uk or http://ovh.co.uk

I just wanted to note Yahoo! Small Business webhosting is now unlimited bandwidth/storage and includes most common hosting features. Price is as low as $4.99 per month with 12 month commitments. The $4.99 deal is for GeoCities customers as they're shutting it down in October.

Host Name: Crucial Paradigm

Notable Features: Cheap VPS and Linux based Shared Hosting Plans

Pros: Cheap VPS 128 Linux Plans and Cheap basic starter hosting for Students / Starters

Problems: Slightly more expensive Shared Hosting Plans but comes with a few extras.

Overall: If you want a quick Virtual Server to mess around with for cheap, this is the place to go! They have US and AU based hosting.

Link: AU Based - http://www.crucial.com.au and US Based - http://www.crucialp.com

Host name : BlueHost

Notable Features : Only 6.95 per month. UNLIMITED Hosting Space, UNLIMITED File Transfer, UNLIMITED Domains

Pros: Fantastic Tech Support, never had a question they couldn't answer in less than a few minutes. Easy to use interface!

Problems: In the past 6 years I can not remember any problems.

Overall: I can not say enough about them. I recommend and host multiple clients and accounts at Bluehost

Link: www.bluehost.com

Edited by John S.
refereal links aren't allowed

host name : Cari.net

Notable Features : Blazinlgy cheap dedicated servers. clusters, etc

Pros: awesome support, superior uptime, Got a memorable bargain there ! ( A dedicated server with 2gb ram for 48$\month - I mean it!)

Problems: none so far.

Overall: Number 1 choice.

Link: http://cari.net/

====================

Hostname: hostmonster (same company as bluehost).

Host name : BlueHost

Notable Features : Only 6.95 per month. UNLIMITED Hosting Space, UNLIMITED File Transfer, UNLIMITED Domains

Pros: Fantastic Tech Support, never had a question they couldn't answer in less than a few minutes. Easy to use interface!

Problems: In the past 6 years I can not remember any problems.

Overall: I can not say enough about them. I recommend and host multiple clients and accounts at Bluehost

Link: www.bluehost.com

I got it for 3.95$ monthly :yes:

I run a UK based web hosting company - being VealHost.com

Notable Features would be: Low cost, professional service - providing linux shared and reseller hosting - cPanel control panel. Automatically setup. 24 / 7 Support. Real people available on the 0800 number.

Pros: Telephone, Email, Ticket, Live-Help support. Personal touch with web-hosting. Auto-installers.

Link: http://www.vealhost.com

host name : DigitalFyre Internet Solutions, LLC.

Notable Features : cPanel/WHM, Fantastico, MySQL, PHP, SSH, FTP, phpMyAdmin, SSL Certificates, Domain Names, AWBS & Kayako Licenses.

Pros: High uptime, excellent support, and cheap prices.

Problems: SSH is not enabled by default, you have to submit a helpdesk ticket (but they enable your jail-shell for free).

Overall: Happy with them for my domains and hosting, cheap prices and reliable service.

Link: http://www.digitalfyre.com/

host name : Shark Space

Notable Features : free R1soft daily backups... Backups for the last 7 days.

Pros: Fast, Reliable and good value for money - Staff are always available to help and can get back to you within minutes and it is not scripted at all, you get the answer you want first time.

Problems: none at all personally

Overall: Sharkspace does not oversell their servers meaning it is fast and reliable at all times.

Link: http://sharkspace.com/

current promotion 75% off first month - code: '75starter'.

Host name : Shocking Host

Notable Features : It has a post to host hosting plan. There is live chat and tickets if needed. There is a knowledge base as well.

Pros: Support is given if needed most likely immediate. We have friendly staff and negotiable hosting rates.

Problems: We are currently on a master reseller account not a VPS.

Overall: Overall I'd give this host a 8/10 due to the VPS and the lack of forum activity. Other than that the host has affordable hosting and sort of lenient.

Link: http://shockinghost.com

You apply for hosting in the sign up tab.

Host Name: DreamHost

Notable Features: PHP, MySQL, PHPmyAdmin, feature-packed admin area, accessible support.

Pros: Fast support with blogs for notification, unlimited bandwidth/disk space, fast servers, humorous and interesting staff/management, cheap domain registering

Problems: I believe I experienced one or two slight downtimes during the year, but were fixed quickly and they made every effort to let their customers know when the issues are and when they will be resolved.

Overall: Great shared hosting solution for something relatively cheap. They frequently have discounts for new users, such as the 9.95 for the first year discount which they often publish.

Link: DreamHost

Currently using iPage also. Less features compared with DreamHost (several advanced features which DreamHost provide for free requires payment), and I had some slight kinks since I started hosting on it. However, their staff were fairly efficient and the problems were resolved fairly quickly.