Neowin's Top Hosts

Question

I've created this sticky thread for members to post their hosts that they use for their website. Clearly, we arent really looking here for the free hosts- geocities, lycos etc - rather the ones you pay for. We want to know about your good and bad expierences, how reliable they have been, how flexable on bandwidth, and overall feature wise. Do it in this format :

host name :

Notable Features :

Pros:

Problems:

Overall:

Link:

So - i'll start of for my website Zeebit :)

host name : OLM

Notable Features : PHP /Mysql, lots of free cgi scripts, PuTTY access, Password protect directories, FTP access

Pros: Excellent tech support- like 5 min replies - and useful ones at that, gives basic stats, Always fast and i've never had the website down - good VFM in general.

Problems: Only 1 FTP account on my setup, No PHPMyAdmin for DB stuff, Have a few probs everynow and again accessing the control panel - which is fairly limited if i'm honest- i'd prefer Cpanel - but for the price- its ok.

Overall: Mainly good- but a few downsides.

Link: http://www.olm.net

I will edit this thread to keep it clean and to the point :)

Host Name: Site5

Notable Features: 3 GB space, 50 GB bandwidth for $6.95 per month, unlimited MYSQL databases, Netadmin4, my.site5

Pros: Great support, plenty of space and bandwidth, very fast loading servers

Cons: None so far

Overall: 10/10 - This host is unbelievable. Anyone that goes with them will not be sorry.

http://www.site5.com

Name: FusionXHost

Features:

2 Gigs of Space

50 Gigs of Bandwidth

Unlimited Email accounts

Unlimited FTP accounts

Unlimited Sub Domains

Unlimited MySQL DB's

80 Parked/Add-On Domains

Free Setup

All for $15.00

Pros: Fast Support, SO MUCH SPACE, lightning fast servers!

Cons: None yet, I have been with them for more than 6 months!

http://fusionxhost.com

Clint

Is "A Small Orange" managed by Neowin? I'm looking into possibly creating an account.

585435120[/snapback]

It's managed by Tim Dorr, a coder for Neowin.

I currently own an account at A Small Orange and have for the past year or so. The year before that, I went through two awful hosts with little support staff and limited uptime. Having the amount of support at ASO was like a dream at the time. During civilized hours, response time is 20 mins - 1 hr... a big improvement from my other host that went on a vacation for a week straight with no email.

Thanks ASO/Tim Dorr!

Host Name: FreedomsNet

Notable Features: yourname.freedomsnet.net or they host your own domain ,Unmetered Bandwith and Space, MySql Databases, Free Control Panel (Plesk), 24 hour server monitoring, 99% Uptime guarantee, 24x7 Support, Website Stats, Raw Stats Log, Multi Language Cpanel, Multiple Themes for the Control Panel and much much more ...

Pros: It's Entirely Free and all you have to do is post consistently in their forum.

Problems: Nothing I can think of.

Overall: 10/10

Link: http://www.freedomsnet.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=531

Host Name: Blitz Out

Notable Features: Free domain name on certain plans, excellent support, cheap prices, free sub-domain, etc.

Pros: Very friendly admin, always willing to help, excellent uptime, etc.

Problems: None so far. :D

Overall: 10/10 - Highly Recommended

You won't regret ordering hosting from Blitz Out. :cool:

Host Name: ResellerZoom.com

Notable Features: Incredibly cheap reseller prices

Pros: Complete control over your own sites

Cons: Non so far

Overall: 10/10

They oversell which I must admit but they still manage to offer great service. Also another good host I've been with was TotalChoiceHosting.com. But I'm no longer with them.

Host Name: Site5

Notable Features: 3 GB space, 50 GB bandwidth for $6.95 per month, unlimited MYSQL databases, Netadmin4, my.site5

Pros: Great support, plenty of space and bandwidth, very fast loading servers

Cons: None so far

Overall: 10/10 - This host is unbelievable. Anyone that goes with them will not be sorry.

http://www.site5.com

586055888[/snapback]

Can anyone else vouch for Site5 as well? It really does look amazing and I would consider signing up if another Neowin member recommended it.

i have been in several hosting company's but the best one is WiredHosting

Host name: WiredHosting

Pros: 99.9% Uptime, really cheap, awesome support, accept paypal

Problems: they only register .com domains, if you want any other you will have to buy it yourself.

Overall: 4.5/5

For Sales: santiago@wiredhosting.com.ar [MSN Messenger]

www.wiredhosting.com.ar

Host Name: GoDaddy

Notable Features: Cheap Linux hosting, Java, Frontpage extensions

Pros: Fast, stable servers, MySQL, free email, PHP, custom 404 pages, etc. for $6.25 USD/month

Cons: No support for common Apache extensions (no mod_rewrite, etc.), no MultiViews for non-HTML files, long contracts for the price, no anonymous/public FTP, databases are on another server and take a while to create/delete, cluttered interface (i.e. control panel sucks)

Overall: 8/10

Link: GoDaddy

IMO, they do better domain hosting than web hosting.

If anyone could recommend a good host with the features my GoDaddy account has but also with what I have in "cons" (anonymous FTP isn't necessary) and not exceeding $7 a month, I would be happy :) I'm currently thinking about switching to Bluehost as soon as my two-year contract ends with GoDaddy. If anyone's using them, can you tell me whether or not they'll transfer MySQL databases and such? Thanks.

Host name: Dreamhost

Notable Features: RubyOnRails, free .com domain, 2400mb space & 120gb monthly Bandwidth

Pros: Excellent price, great spec packages, wide user base, Fully Featured.

Problems: Sometimes technical support can take 12-24 hours to reply (usually it's a couple of hours)

Overall: Good host - 4.5/5.

http://www.dreamhost.com

Tip: You can get their basic package for $35.88/year ($2.99/month) instead of $119.40/year.

Here's how it's done:

Go to https://panel.dreamhost.com/signup/?next_step=Index and click the button that says "12 months for $119.40" underneath L1: Crazy Domain Insane.

Choose your domain name and a username etc..

When you get to the verify total page enter "2Dollars99" (without the quotes) into the optional promo code box and click update.

That's it! You now have 12 months for $2.99/month which works out at $35.88/year.

Host name: Conquer Hosting.com

Notable Features: cPanel, Shell, FTP, MySQL, Custom 404 403 401 500 etc, PHP

Pros: Very Cheap!

Problems: None whatsoever!

Overall: (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

Link: Conquer Hosting.com

post-114320-1123074742.png

IPOWERWEB / IPOWER SUCKS!!!

Don't get me started.... I have had "ipowerweb" for allmost 2 years and one day out of the blue they changed my SQL Database Quota from 20 to 5. This really really uset me. They then went on to tell me "I never had 20, that was a glitch." Then after talking to various people and getting no where. Someone from iPowerWeb or a really good hacker put a Trojan IN the ADMINISTRATION PANEL. This should not be possible unless you have physical access to the server. I canceled immediatly and switched to A Small Orange.

DO NOT USE IPOWERWEB or IPOWER (same company, 2 names).

Jason

Host name: Resiware Inc.

Notable Features: Cheap, reliable, lots of features, host contacts you ahead of any planned downtime/upgrades.

Pros: Brian their main engineer is very reasonable, if you have any questions he is more then happy to try and help you out. Their pricing is usually pretty flexible as well if you ask.

Problems: None so far.

Overall: I've been happy with them so far (over a year have been with them). I would recommend them to anyone!

Link: http://www.resiware.com

Host name: Dreamhost

Notable Features: RubyOnRails, free .com domain, 2400mb space & 120gb monthly Bandwidth

Pros: Excellent price, great spec packages, wide user base, Fully Featured.

Problems: Sometimes technical support can take 12-24 hours to reply (usually it's a couple of hours)

Overall: Good host - 4.5/5.

http://www.dreamhost.com

Tip: You can get their basic package for $35.88/year ($2.99/month) instead of $119.40/year.

Here's how it's done:

Go to https://panel.dreamhost.com/signup/?next_step=Index and click the button that says "12 months for $119.40" underneath L1: Crazy Domain Insane.

Choose your domain name and a username etc..

When you get to the verify total page enter "2Dollars99" (without the quotes) into the optional promo code box and click update.

That's it! You now have 12 months for $2.99/month which works out at $35.88/year.

586312687[/snapback]

I can't edit the original post. Dreamhost have double their webspace to 4800mb from 2400mb.

www.serverplex.com - Definately the most reliable host I know of. The only bit of downtime I had was for a couple of minutes when they rebooted the servers. Other than that, they've been fast, reliable and the support have been helpful.

i was about to sign up with "A Small Orange" because it seems like they offer quite a bit with there package. and from what i've learned around this forum since i've found it, is that the customer service is pretty good. but i do not know a lick of HTML and i couldn't pass up there sitebuilder. plus when i joined i got the package for $8.96 and it had:

25 gig bandwith

2 gb storage

and no PERL/MYSQL(not totally sure what that is)

and like a day later they upgraded that same package to:

200 gb bandwidth

5 gb storage

and added PERL/MYSQL support

i'm cool with the package so far.

i was about to sign up with "A Small Orange" because it seems like they offer quite a bit with there package.  and from what i've learned around this forum since i've found it, is that the customer service is pretty good.  but i do not know a lick of HTML and i couldn't pass up there sitebuilder.  plus when i joined i got the package for $8.96 and it had:

25 gig bandwith

2 gb storage

and no PERL/MYSQL(not totally sure what that is)

and like a day later they upgraded that same package to:

200 gb bandwidth

5 gb storage

and added PERL/MYSQL support

i'm cool with the package so far.

586704411[/snapback]

I'd love to know which package you're on because I'm paying the same amount for 400MB storage and 10GB bandwidth with ASO...

My Website: Prowl.ma.cx

Host name: Ixel-host.net

Notable features: So many to list, check the packages list.

Pros: Great value.

Cons: None that I can really think of.

Overall: 9/10

Link: www.Ixel-host.net

I've been with Ixel-host since it's early days and it's gotten better with time. The signup process is easy to use and support is really friendly. :happy:

host of katharsis.int.tl

amazingly nice people. all of their services are amazing!

host name : Zephyr Enterprises

Notable Features : ALL paid services have unlim bandwith, cpanel x, mysql, php, etc etc. comes with unlimited ftp, email, yada yada.

they have a free service too (that is thru an application unless u pay $10 upfront). also includes most features above and has 200mb and 20gb bandwith.

Pros: everything

Problems: slightly low disk space

Overall: cheap and very nice

Link: Zephyr Enterprises