Sick of PS3 Bashing

The initial point I'm trying to make is that sony has a good idea (sometimes). But then the initial replies from a 360 user is normally something like "we got that already", or if the 360 don't have then its "whats the point"

Don't take my comment as bashing you. I'm not trying to. My point is simply to ignore what a 180 oops--360 console user says. I'm impartial on this one. I have a brother that has a 360 so I've experienced the nasty RROD and I have a friend that has a PS3, so I know the frustration from both sides. What gets me is neither one really is any worse than the other. The 360 has the game support (meaning the more games), but has huge hardware problems, but the PS3 has the lack of games, but the better hardware. There's no point in bashing either console, all it is--is fanboyism. It is stupid and a waist of time to bash the opposite console.

The only reason I see anyone bashing the other console is because they know their console is crap and they have make someone else feel bad for them to feel good about the poor choice they made. The same goes for operating systems with Windows and Apple fanboys. Sad and pointless.

Another point is that by making these threads, you're really just opening the door for more PS3 bashing. No offense to you, I see where you're coming from, but it is true nevertheless.

I hope that users can at least see my point

I think that given a little more time the PS3 is going to pick up.

I would have bought a 360 some time ago (I want all the consoles, makes things easier), but the reliability is a major issue for me. it would be running in a warm room (next to PS3 and PC)

PS3's issues aree mainly software wise, but the 360's issues are hardware related

no wonder people are going for the Wii

The RROD isn't caused by the 360 overheating, per-se, it's caused by the console heating up and cooling down constantly (in fact, apparently if you wrap a warm towel around your console when you get the RROD, it occasionally brings it back to life. Although that's more of a rumour than anything else).

Plus, even if something DOES happen, you've got a 3 year warranty from Microsoft covering it. It's an inconvenience but you've got a WiiS3, you'll be fine =P

The initial point I'm trying to make is that sony has a good idea (sometimes). But then the initial replies from a 360 user is normally something like "we got that already", or if the 360 don't have then its "whats the point"

The thing is that Sony doesn't have a good idea this time around. They let the success of the PS2 go to their heads and they thought they could do whatever they wanted. They started treating customers and potential customers like crap and this is the backlash.

As for developers (and sayings it's all the developer's fault) we are not talking about the PS3 being crap strictly because of the hardware. A game console is just that, a game console. You need the hardware and the games in order for it to be successful. Sony has apparently made it hard enough to code for that crappy games are coming out. Do you think major developers actually want to waste their time and effort into making a bad game? They'll do the best that their time and effort allows.

Frankly from my point of view it seems that the PS3 is a waste of time when compared to the 360. I'm sure some people will say they got it for some specific game, which is fine even though I don't understand it. That's a lot of money to spend so you can play one game, whether it's Halo or Metal Gear Solid. I think most of the PS3 buyers did not buy the system out of rationale but more out of blind loyalty. That's the part that I don't understand.

Edit: Oh, as for Blu-Ray, again I think it's a lot of money to spend for a format that could go the way of UMD.

its only in the last month or two that the new chipsets are rolling out, thats nearly 2 years after release.

It's been longer than that, and the RROD issue has been fixed for even longer. July or something iirc.

End of the day, problem is solved, who cares when. Plus 3 years warranty to top it off :)

The thing is that Sony doesn't have a good idea this time around. They let the success of the PS2 go to their heads and they thought they could do whatever they wanted. They started treating customers and potential customers like crap and this is the backlash.

As for developers (and sayings it's all the developer's fault) we are not talking about the PS3 being crap strictly because of the hardware. A game console is just that, a game console. You need the hardware and the games in order for it to be successful. Sony has apparently made it hard enough to code for that crappy games are coming out. Do you think major developers actually want to waste their time and effort into making a bad game? They'll do the best that their time and effort allows.

Frankly from my point of view it seems that the PS3 is a waste of time when compared to the 360. I'm sure some people will say they got it for some specific game, which is fine even though I don't understand it. That's a lot of money to spend so you can play one game, whether it's Halo or Metal Gear Solid. I think most of the PS3 buyers did not buy the system out of rationale but more out of blind loyalty. That's the part that I don't understand.

Edit: Oh, as for Blu-Ray, again I think it's a lot of money to spend for a format that could go the way of UMD.

umd died because only psp played them, there were no set top players

in the EU bd has got the slight edge on HDDVD atm, US its too close to call

if BD movies die out they'll still release games on them, same as what they do for UMD

IMO PS3 multimedia > X360 Multimedia

X360 Games (atm) > PS3 games

cannot compare live to psn, live has been around longer and has had time to mature.

as for Blu-Ray, again I think it's a lot of money to spend for a format that could go the way of UMD.

I think it's disgusting that Sorny force consumers into their war...

They let the success of the PS2 go to their heads

100% QFT!

umd died because only psp played them, there were no set top players

in the EU bd has got the slight edge on HDDVD atm, US its too close to call

if BD movies die out they'll still release games on them, same as what they do for UMD

But that's my point. It's too close to call (IMHO) to spend the money just to say "I got a BR player". Your last point is why I specifically mentioned UMD. It would still be used as a proprietary game medium, which is fine. Cartridges were doing that for years.

As for UMD dying because of no set top players, that may be, but it doesn't mean BR will success because they have set top players, particularly when you can get the same quality out of a $99 or $199 player vs. a $499 player. Actually, that sound much like the game side. There is another format that offers the same or better quality for much cheaper. You keep adding it up from any side and it just doesn't make sense.

Uncharted is a good ps3 title....finally. The fact of the matter is, ps3 does not have any games that have been highly rated by a respectable company or by everyday people. I'm talking about ps3 only games, games that you would go out and get the ps3 just for that. I feel bad, with all the power under the hood, people can't make a fun, yet good looking game?

I'm totally cool with all other parts of the ps3, other than backwards compatibility

But that's my point. It's too close to call (IMHO) to spend the money just to say "I got a BR player". Your last point is why I specifically mentioned UMD. It would still be used as a proprietary game medium, which is fine. Cartridges were doing that for years.

As for UMD dying because of no set top players, that may be, but it doesn't mean BR will success because they have set top players, particularly when you can get the same quality out of a $99 or $199 player vs. a $499 player. Actually, that sound much like the game side. There is another format that offers the same or better quality for much cheaper. You keep adding it up from any side and it just doesn't make sense.

my preference is bd tbo, but thats an argument for another thread

my preference is bd tbo, but thats an argument for another thread

Well, you were the one to have brought BR into this from your original post.

Uncharted is a good ps3 title....finally. The fact of the matter is, ps3 does not have any games that have been highly rated by a respectable company or by everyday people. I'm talking about ps3 only games, games that you would go out and get the ps3 just for that. I feel bad, with all the power under the hood, people can't make a fun, yet good looking game?

I'm totally cool with all other parts of the ps3, other than backwards compatibility

Resistance, motorstorm, drakes fortune, R+C?

I like the fact that when i 'm bored pplaying a game I can watch a tv show/movie without getting up. I also prefer the XMB over the X360 menus

I think it's disgusting that Sorny force consumers into their war...

100% QFT!

Nobody is forcing anyone into a "war".

You can buy your PS3 to play games and never touch Blu Ray movies you know.... :rolleyes:

What stops someone having a PS3 and an HD-DVD player?

Nothing.

Sony wanted to include Blu Ray in the PS3 for gaming AND movies - Whats optional for you is what you use it for. Games only, movies only or both.

As for the price for us in their decision to include integrated Blu Ray, get over it. The consoles have come down and price and will continue to do so - If you want a PS3 buy it at a price thats comfortable for you. Unlike other electronics that are more stubborn in price drops - eg take longer, don't go down as much over the lifetime, consoles come down in price quite a bit, and fairly often - Well the consoles that start off at a "high" price tend to. Something like the Wii won't come down as quickly as it enters the market "cheap" and is selling a ****load.

I mainly use it for games as most of my movies come in AVI format :p But I like using it for games, as I personally feel more space is good for now/and for the future. Thats what I believe, so please don't bombard me with DVD9 is adequate - I know it is for now.

As for the "bashing" it comes through a few main things. Sony mistakes, a vast media presence in the bashing, and on forums like Neowin the higher population of MS/360 gamers.

Oh and I also love it when the folk that tell you to "ignore" fly into these topics almost every time to leave their comment. They don't exactly abide by their own beliefs do they? :p

It's very difficult not to get pulled into a discussion when a product/topic you feel strongly about gets mentioned - That's just the way it is. What can be changed is your approach to the situation, eg be respectful and have consideration for other views.

Edited by Audioboxer

As for the "bashing" it comes through a few main things. Sony mistakes, a vast media presence in the bashing, and on forums like Neowin the higher population of MS/360 gamers.

I think if you go back about 2 1/2 years ago you'll find that Xbox players were in the minority to PS players. I just think because this forum is so tech centric people make decisions less on the blind loyalty I was talking about and more around facts. Some high profile Sony supporters from before the launch have either stopped posting or severly limited their posting. While there are some "PS3 is teh sux0rz. 360 FTW!!11!" people, I think most are just frustrated at the attitude Sony has and the illogical support a lot of Sony users have in this forum.

You can buy your PS3 to play games and never touch Blu Ray movies you know

Oh cool - how do I get my rebate on the unneccessary BD hardware they chose to insert? Do I mail in?

What stops someone having a PS3 and an HD-DVD player?

Cost?

As for the price for us in their decision to include integrated Blu Ray, get over it.

That seems to be Sony's stance too. Nice way to show respect to prospective consumers.

I think if you go back about 2 1/2 years ago you'll find that Xbox players were in the minority to PS players. I just think because this forum is so tech centric people make decisions less on the blind loyalty I was talking about and more around facts. Some high profile Sony supporters from before the launch have either stopped posting or severly limited their posting. While there are some "PS3 is teh sux0rz. 360 FTW!!11!" people, I think most are just frustrated at the attitude Sony has and the illogical support a lot of Sony users have in this forum.

I understand.

But you know where im coming from. If you go to the 360 section of www.ps3forums.com you expect to be "outnumbered" and have a greater chance of forum antics to arise. Likewise if you visit a 360 forum as a PS supporter.

The more supporters you have on one side, the greater the chance of forum antics (not always though). Sometimes it's because certain people acknowledge their "competition" is outnumbered and act in a childish way about it... other times it's just down to the higher populated camp having more idiots (more people = greater chance of an idiot signing up :p)

Thats the drift im getting at... as I've said in the past, on Neowin we actually have a pretty good community. Due to the heated "war" thats on between consoles this generation some sites comments are practically unreadable - It's like a mass war of 10yr olds fighting.

The day there is a handfull of games, that I can actually consider buying, available for the ps3 is the day I will stop talking about how useless it is as a gaming system.

Until then, I will play some Wii games. Because ironically my 360 got the RROD yesterday. :laugh:

Oh cool - how do I get my rebate on the unneccessary BD hardware they chose to insert? Do I mail in?

Cost?

That seems to be Sony's stance too. Nice way to show respect to prospective consumers.

The PS3 is what it is. Sony designed the product they wanted to be released it to market. It is their design, and their approach. The decision on what to do is in their hands. None of us created the PS brand, or the consoles that have come out over the last few years.

Blu Ray is a part of the product the PS3 is. You can title it uneccessary but another 10 people may be happy with it. Games are shipping on Blu Ray as well as movies. If you want to game you need Blu Ray, if you want to watch HD movies you can use Blu Ray or use HD-DVD.

It's a choice thiing njlouch, there is no answer to be settled on here. I get the vibe you don't want a PS3 at all, so yes, get over the fact others do, and you don't. Go game/watch HD movies where you want and be done with it.

It's a bit of a moot point to argue about the cost of a product you don't want and try to say it's for the good of others who do want to buy - There is an easy remedy for them, and one they will know already down to common sense - It's save up more money, or wait till the price hits something they are happy with - Whether that be waiting for a normal price drop, a sale or buying 2nd hand.

The PS3 is very close to the cost of the higher end 360's just now. There isn't a massive difference between them and in some cases in the UK you can pickup a PS3/360 for the same cost. Keep in mind as well that the PS3 is "newer" technology in the sense that it has only been through 1 year in the market (6months europe). We'll see what price point the PS3 is at when it has around 2yrs (current 360 life) on the market.

What Sony don't have in the PS3 is an entry model to compete with the Wii/360 Arcade in terms of cost. They are relying on the PS2 to do that in a sense, and while it's not really an entry PS3 at all, it's working OK for them in the sense the PS2 is selling well still. This is one of the gambles Sony have taken though with the PS3.

If you come back to me and say you do want a PS3, why? Tell me why.

Edited by Audioboxer

Sony designed the product they wanted to released it to market. It is their design, and their approach.

And this is the problem - their arrogance. Their decision to include BD on every iteration of the console forces customers into the BD/HDDVD debacle. (I personally don't care who wins that one, if it's BD, then fair enough). But when you have people who want the console but have no intention of using it to play films - where is the choice for them?

I can title it uneccessary, and 100 other may title it otherwise. But 1/100 of a potential market worth considering.

This arrogance is possibly reflected in the lacklustre sales figures (not just for consoles but also games figures) - from what I have read, they certainly haven't created the buzz the initial PS2 did.

I agree, it is a choice thing. And people seem to be chosing not to purchase (or develop for) the PS3. Why? Sony's arrogance? It's even reflected in their marketing. Adverts that don't really push the console at all - why? Because the PS3 should sell itself? It just aint like that anymore. Especially with Sony still pushing the PS2 so hard.

Their whole launch campaign was filled with half-truths, slagging off other consoles and so on.

Do I want to see the PS3 fail? Hell no! The 360 is only what it is today thanks to the PS2. Competition is good for the industry, and I loved the PS2.

Do I want a PS3? I don't know yet. There are no games that interest me yet. Maybe in the future? Remains to be seen. I refuse to buy into a format that may be dead within a year. I refuse to buy a console that offers me nothing. Once the PS3 comes to maturity - that may change.

I am far from a blind fanboy - I own a Wii, Xbox (original), PS2, and am getting a 360 in a few weeks. If something amazing comes out for PS3 then I MAY get one (Singstar being a possibility - what Sony does well, they do VERY well).

As for going elsewhere? This is an open forum - I am airing my view. I am not anti-ps3, anti-you or anything like that. But I have my views. I also appreciate your arguments - because if anyone can ever prove me wrong and open me up to things, then cool!

its only in the last month or two that the new chipsets are rolling out, thats nearly 2 years after release.

and how long did it take for sony to fix the DRE issues with the PS2. They still haven't even publicly accepted there's an issue with it, let alone fixed it.

I understand.

But you know where im coming from. If you go to the 360 section of www.ps3forums.com you expect to be "outnumbered" and have a greater chance of forum antics to arise. Likewise if you visit a 360 forum as a PS supporter.

The more supporters you have on one side, the greater the chance of forum antics (not always though). Sometimes it's because certain people acknowledge their "competition" is outnumbered and act in a childish way about it... other times it's just down to the higher populated camp having more idiots (more people = greater chance of an idiot signing up :p )

Thats the drift im getting at... as I've said in the past, on Neowin we actually have a pretty good community. Due to the heated "war" thats on between consoles this generation some sites comments are practically unreadable - It's like a mass war of 10yr olds fighting.

My point was that this isn't necessarily an Xbox fanboy haven, it just has turned into one because people have defected away from Sony. I think we see more people basing their support of the PS3 with no logical arguments vs. people doing the same for the 360.

Nobody is forcing anyone into a "war".

Sony wanted to include Blu Ray in the PS3 for gaming AND movies - Whats optional for you is what you use it for. Games only, movies only or both.

Of course they've been forcing people. For more then a year! The only thing I had for the PS3 was essentially movies. No games. I paid $600 not for both, I paid $600 for a player as I got movies only. By deliberately not encouraging gaming, because they wanted to push Blu-Ray they have used me and other consumers who bought PS3. It's that simple.

The games are JUST starting to trickle out, but even though most people who ADORE Sony for some reasons and PS3 (which I don't really understand because we as consumers have been fu*ked so many times by that company not to mention their completely cartel like business behavior that's ILLEGAL many times) these new games are not so HOT after all. Drake Uncharted is a beautiful game, although lacks substance. It's a good game, but in no way shakes the ground. Same with R&C. I have bought, I've played numerous games on Xbox 360 and I play these games on PS3. Playstation fanatics would like Drake and R&C to be portraited as Messiahs, but their sales numbers show a different story. Not one broke 100k while multiple titles on Xbox 360s sold over a million.

Xbox 360 is simply a better platform, it has very powerful hardware and actually more graphics strength, Xbox Live is absolutely worth the money and achivements bring a completely new level of owning games. Mulitplayer and online friend network on XBL is amazing. PSN in comparison is a joke. Xbox 360 is easier to develop for due to the fact that Microsoft IS a a software company.

Just for the record, I have all consoles, and despite all the RROD, I still have my first Xbox 360 and never had a single problem. I guess I was lucky, but from my own point of view and in comparison Xbox 360 has given me TON of fun and PS3 possibly 10-15 hours since I bought it. Simple truth.