Retailers see format war dragging on

you call it being paid off. i call it business.

This is not good, about a month or so ago it was looking quite positive for HD-DVD, especially with sales of players

I just hope the movie companies change their mind eventually but i do get the feeling sony/the bluray assotiation paid off a lot of the movie companies to go blu exclusive

Good news I think. I wanted HD-dvd to win but franky either winning is better in the long run I think and I don't think the HD-DVD group can recover from the past 10 days or so.

I think they missed the chance really. Instead of offering cheaper Players perhaps they would have been better off offering cheaper films also for the first 12 - 18 months or so as it would have really helped them sell films. In the end I think the PS3 was the trump card for Sony. People argued that Toshiba were selling far more dedicated hardware but ultimatly it pales comparred to PS3 + BluRay player sales combined.

I find it interesting to think that had MS used the HD-DVD drive in the 360 the war would have gone the other way with MS having 10million 360's on the market before the PS3 had managed to make a dent (although HD-DVD was out a bit after the 360 launch i think). Subsidised hardware to MS that didn't completly throw off the consoles price may have done them alot of good assuming they could keep prices down.

HD-DVD was only cheaper in specific regions too. In Australia it was never sold at a fraction of the prices it was in the US which is another mistake IMHO. Not only was HD-DVD slow to hit retail stores in a big way here but the 40GB PS3 sells for the same price or maybe $100 AU more which in the end doesnt make the HD-DVD drives look too appealing. And I can't imagine people wanting to jump out and buy them even if they do want HD-DVD when the units are $200US so I'd imagine many HD-DVD backers like myself were waiting for the price drop which now will be too late.

Anyway bad news for toshiba, but ultimatly good for consumers I think.

edit: As for this being bad for consumers, I don't agree. I think theres more merits to having a single standardised format than having two incompatible ones. Sure, BluRay's format is evolving and has been a bit of a messy scenario which is one reason I liked HD-DVD more, but it's still ideal I think to having movies in both formats. With the way studio's were going consumers were going to have to wait for the dual players to drop in price (currently they are too expensive to be mainstream) or adopt two players in order to play their entire collection. At least now it looks more and more like families can buy a single player that will play most of the movies they could want.

On the competition side, a single format never stopped VHS and DVD manufacturers competing on a hardware and media side and it won't stop them doing so now. You may not see the same five free films with any player that Sony and Toshiba have been doing, but individual manufacturers will likely offer similar deals or price drops in order to keep ahead of other companies products. That and retailers too will be offering more and more deals as the formats become more mainstream (which should be easier if theres one format as it's safer for consumers to invest in) as the stores attempt to outdo other stores. If DVD's are on the decline due to market uncertainty then the companies backing the format will want to give an incentive for consumers to adopt now to reinvigurate sales (and it will also help many of them push HD displays which most of the manufacturers will also be selling)

So ultimatly I think everyone wins besides the HD-DVD early adopters and companies invested in the format. Technically neither format was/is perfect and you can argue the benefits of each until the cows come home (I also liked HD-DVD's lack of region encoding) but ultimatly the cons of each format is outweighed by the benefit of there being a single format.

Now I know I'm assuming Blu Ray wins, even if hell freezes over and HD-DVD wins the above stands. I just think one format has to give otherwise the market will loose another 6 to 12 months waiting for Dual format hardware to go mainstream and be affordable which might be a challenge if individual players are still too expensive for many.

Edited by Smigit

HDDVD was, is and will be a joke.

Not long enough before all the companies that go neutral will go BluRay exclusive.

awesomeemote2pm3.png

how is and was HD-DVD a joke.

what i dont get is everyone who does switch to blu-ray is right now switching to an unfinished product ok and when it is finished they will be praising features HD-DVd already has so they are switching over just to wait for features that they already have in there grasp does not make since

how is and was HD-DVD a joke.

what i dont get is everyone who does switch to blu-ray is right now switching to an unfinished product ok and when it is finished they will be praising features HD-DVd already has so they are switching over just to wait for features that they already have in there grasp does not make since

BluRay has been selling more. More selling equals more money. Companies go for the money, not the features.

Companies go for the money, not the features.

Wrong!

The number one feature that lured more studios to support Blu from the beginning is DRM. Tto this date, Blu-ray's encryption has not been compromised, only HD-DVDs. Don't think for a second that the studios turned a blind eye when Digg was covered with HD-DVD's encryption key in the not so distant past:

"9 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0"

:rolleyes:

With more studios supporting the format from the word go, there were more movies available for the consumers to purchase which then spurred Blu-Rays growth, not the other way around.

what tha? Blu-Ray not cracked? Try that 40GB+ file i saw on the newsgroups of Resident Evil extinction. There's lots of other 10GB ones too that were ripped rom Blu-Ray.

Anyways, this thread can be locked now since Universal themselves released a press saying they NEVER said anything that this thread is quoting. They will continue HD DVD production and will for a while as far as they are concerned (surely that can change)

1) Are you kidding? It is what every promoter of HD-DVD says. I'm not twisting any words. To those who got the players at $99 (like myself), it was great. But it is ridiculous to keep talking about it like its still possible. It is not the entry level for HD-DVD.

2)The A2 and A3 are 1080i players. The alone is enough to consider them lacking in comparison to their counterparts. I never said the players were subsidized either, another poster did. I agree with Boz on the issue anyways (that Sony has subsidized their division far more than Toshiba has). Its pretty clear who is spending more money in this venture.

3)$1000 for a BD player? The MSRP is high, but they won't come that high. With the upcoming release of the Funai(?)/Sylvania player @ $300 and expected to hit even lower with Profile 1.1, it would be foolish for anyone to release a $1000 unit [Denon is, but we all know its foolish. Its by name only]. BD's entry point is indeed higher, I won't argue that, but its not nearly the gap that people are making it out to be.

1) Name a BD player that's been EVER below $100. HD-DVD managed it. Maybe not every day, but BD hasn't managed it yet.

2) Makes no difference to a person with a 720p TV, which is most people. If you needed a bigger TV, you'd buy a different HD-DVD player, wouldn't you?

^ From what I've read its not the Blu-Ray version but rather the HD-DVD versions of the films that were printed in Europe that were ripped and uploaded. Here in the states, studios don't give us much choice as our brethren overseas. :laugh:

LINKY for you to read

Edited by GOJI_GKing2000

I'd say both are VERY viable candidates but to go multi platform. It's one thing to say "We will continue our HD-DVD support", another thing to say "We have no intention on supporting Blu Ray". Wait and see I guess, but I suspect they will both go multi format in the near future. Even if Paramount had some form of an escape clause I'm sure Toshiba has enough in the contract to prevent them going all out Blu Ray exclusive in the time the contract existed.

Wrong!

The number one feature that lured more studios to support Blu from the beginning is DRM. Tto this date, Blu-ray's encryption has not been compromised, only HD-DVDs. Don't think for a second that the studios turned a blind eye when Digg was covered with HD-DVD's encryption key in the not so distant past:

With more studios supporting the format from the word go, there were more movies available for the consumers to purchase which then spurred Blu-Rays growth, not the other way around.

Thanks for supporting my point, even though you labeled it as a wrong one.

Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended. And Paramount has an escape clause in its HD DVD contract allowing it to release pics on Blu-ray after Warner Bros.' decision to back that format exclusively.

Neither studio is ready to throw in the towel immediately, however. Universal is committed to a series of promotions for the high-def format in coming months, and Par has said its current plans are to keep supporting HD DVD, which it backed exclusively in August.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...612591&st=0

Boom!

It's one thing to say "We will continue our HD-DVD support", another thing to say "We have no intention on supporting Blu Ray". Wait and see I guess, but I suspect they will both go multi format in the near future.

Yep, that's what it seems like. They should have said the latter if they wanted to stop those rumours.

BR anime is starting to get ripped a lot now already...

My understanding is that not all Blu-Ray discs have the encryption; its a studio choice. Those that do however use a randomized system where the codes on one print could be different from another disc. Because of the more complex nature of this system over that of HD-DVD's the system has yet to compromised, for now. Though we all know the script kiddies of the world are trying.

Finally, another step in the right direction. This could have all been avoided if HD-DVD and Blu-Ray had collaborated earlier when they had the chance, which would have benefited consumers and cost the losing side less money - afterall, it was unlikely that both formats would succeed equally and Sony would have never allowed their studios films to be released on HD-DVD.

I want Serenity and Star Trek on Blu-Ray and then I'll be happy to grab a PC Blu-Ray drive and start my hi-def collection.

Wrong!

You have no idea what you are talking about. Both HDDVD and Blu Ray were hacked .. actually both of this format use AACS copy protection and that is what got hacked. That key that you posted doesn't really work anymore with newer discs.

Some (only few) newer Blu-Ray discs are now using BD+ on top of AACS and that hasn't been hacked yet.

Well it is, because Blu-Ray will need to get more people too buy it, so in order for Blu-Ray to get people onto HD they still need to lower prices and do BOGO's. It sill it a war. HD-DVD was just the battle.