Retailers see format war dragging on

Demand will lower the prices. When the winner is official, more companies come out with devices, the prices drop. Simple as that.

Not necessarily (example: FireWire devices).

In fact, the licensing fees for FireWire espablish a *floor* for both device pricing and device compatibility (depsite it's ubiquity on the Mac and darn-near-ubiquity even on the PC; in fact, the only OS *not* to support FireWire is Solaris).

Other than PC drives, the PS3 has the pricing floor for BD drives in North America; why is that?

Why is this not on Blu-ray.com, or as a matter of fact any credible sources? I've never heard of variety.com but meh, no worries I guess.

But if this is true, all I can say is I'm definitely surprised to hear this so early after Warner's switch to BD. I wasn't expecting Universal to jump ship so early into there deal, this is definitely brutal and the end of HD DVD. People didn't see Warner switching, this is an even bigger surprise then Warner's move.

I'm surprised to say this but its quite clear that the studios want the consumer to have one format to choose from, which is something to be happy about. :yes:

I expect prices to hit $199 for BD players this Christmas, it will be a very pleasant surprise to see them at that earlier but I doubt it. I can see the PS3 at $299 or even $249 by this Christmas. Most gamers who want to go Blu, will just pickup a PS3 instead of a stand-alone. This will hike up PS3 sales significantly.

there is an article over at highdefdigest:

Responding to published reports that its commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended, Universal has issued a new statement of support for HD DVD.

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

Demand will lower the prices. When the winner is official, more companies come out with devices, the prices drop. Simple as that.

It isn't official? I've been a big supporter of HD-DVD since the beginning, but anyone who thinks Blu-Ray hasn't won is fooling no one but themselves.

Actually the article doesn't say that either.

It simply said their COMMITMENT to hd-dvd has ended. There has been NO other annoucement.

Therefore at THIS point in time, Universal are commited to HD-DVD, and are NOT backing BR, nor making movies for it.

Unless there's another annoucement, this is the status quo, and thats the hard facts. Case closed, I do believe?

Actually the article doesn't say that either.

It simply said their COMMITMENT to hd-dvd has ended. There has been NO other annoucement.

There's no reason for them to drop their "commitment" to HD-DVD unless they want to support Blu-Ray as well. Otherwise they might as well have done nothing rather than damage the already tenuous brand of HD-DVD.

*If all is true*

Every studio will now be putting out movies on Blu-Ray, compared to the two who put out HD DVD titles.

Just read and interpret that sentence one more time. Is the war not over?

HD DVD has been wounded to the point where it cannot recover.

Please just let HD-DVD die and this war end. People have invested so much money into both formats and to have one die out later rather than now would be more of a huge loss than it already is.

please just let Blewray die and let this war end...Sony has hyped the crap outta their bleuray originally priced at 699-now-players-selling-for299-400$ standard-with-its-root-kit-enabled-media and it needs to stop. HD-DVD = final.....blowray....work in progress.....no thanks.

/sarcasm

really hopeing hd-dvd pullls through.

I dunno, without a exclusive contract there is nothing to stop BDA from buying Paramount and Universal out and ending the war? and I feel that is exactly what might happen. I will continue to purchase and enjoy my HD-DVDs but quite frankly I feel HD-DVD has had it. Even if Paramount and Universal say they are committed, a little cash incentive can change that ;) (considering Warner said they were committed to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and then out of the blue (no pun intended :p) dropped HD-DVD and went Blu-Ray exclusive)

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

if you want to know which blu-ray movies are region free. majority of them are.

Nice list, thanks. Most those movies are produced in the US tho, which isn't what I really meant in my post :p The stuff I'd want isn't even out on BR or HDDVD, but it's unlikely it'll be multi-country when they are released I'm sure.

lmao, even spanish media is reporting that universal and paramount will now support BD too, based on NY times info which is based on the Variety article

Who cares if they still commit to HD-DVD when everyone is starting to believe that they are neutral at least? It's the typical case of a lie that's been said so many times that it ends up being the truth xD

Spanish media reporting today that Uni and Paramount are supporting BD now. Lmao, the Variety article spread like fire and now everyone believes that, at least, neither is contractually obliged to stay with HD-DVD any longer.

It's not good when every other newspaper is already mourning HD-DVD.

Repeat the lie a couple of hundred times more and you got a blu victory!

Repeat the lie a couple of hundred times more and you got a blu victory!

Maybe the HD-DVD group could start their own publication and spread similar rumours in a bid to get consumers over to them and boost sales.

Ok so the Reason you switched to Blu-ray is because it is getting online features and Picture and Picture features and other features in witch HD-DVD already has so that is why you are switching.

That makes no sense.

It's getting obvious that HD-DVD will no longer be doing films within the next year or so.

It's rivaling against Blu Ray, which is obviously the better one, it's winning and everyone is going to them, so they must be the best.

You might be thinking I'm a fan boy, but in actual fact I absolutely hate blu-gay, it's got something to do with Sony who I majorly hate.

If anyone was to 'win' I would have preferred HD-DVD