What was your biggest problem with Windows ME?

roadgeek9
I hate me.. (isnt that funny?)

We probably all know about psychotic Nathan Lineback's site - Toastytech.com, but this was funny...

A few jokes about Windows ME's name:

ME operating system? - No, me Nathan.

Windows ME is the most worry free operating system. What ME worry?

Windows Millennium is appropriately named as it is supposed to be the end of the world and all.

Bill Gates originally wanted to call it Windows Bill, but he settled on ME instead.

98Lite for Windows ME could be called Mini-ME.

ME have good time with you hard drive.

Remember, its not about YOU (the user) it's all about ME (Bill).

The new name is an attempt to make users sound stupid to tech support: USER: "ME did something wrong". TECH: "I know you did"

• 2 weeks later...
ozgeek

While I agree with the System Restore not working on ME, I had absolutely no problems running ME. It ran as great as 98 and even XP. I used System Restore a couple times because I, the user, has messed up when installing drivers....??? (I can't remember). But the OS ran otherwise great. I had it ran always-on for nearly a month. I still have the Upgrade ME disc I need for XP installaiton.

People, what's your hardware that causes ME to have problems to you?

chrisj1968

the biggest problem with windows ME is, it was released. ;)

Eric

I didn't have a problem with ME... It worked better than the other Windows OSes that were based on the 95 kernel. The only reason it wasn't around too long is because they retired the 95 kernel and switched all their systems to NT.

Joseph B

My biggest problem with ME was the whole...

BSoD everytime I click on something that my computer thought I wanted to do.

So i'd have to trick it, by clicking maybe AIM then swiftly highlighting Internet Explorer...

To make it think I was just trying to talk to people instead of to browse the internet on maybe a forum to where I could whine about how much Windows ME sucks...

I swear it is like it tried to keep it a secret how much I hated that operating system.

zivan56

I didn't have any big issues with ME...the only major thing was various compilers would use up all the resources, and no new programs could be opened. This forced me to restart like 3-4 times daily.

Andre S.

It would get stuck midway through turning off - and so, it never turned off correctly and ran scandisk on every startup. It would hang as soon as any program showed signs of instability (like all pre-NT Windows systems). It looked bad and performed worse. Ah, Windows XP was such a relief.

• 2 weeks later...
roadgeek9
I didn't have any big issues with ME...the only major thing was various compilers would use up all the resources, and no new programs could be opened. This forced me to restart like 3-4 times daily.

Sounds like a big problem to me. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
win 98 fan

The missing of the REAL MS-DOS Mode, like I used to know it in 98.

ME did have features which 98 , and 2000 didn't have, but it was kinda a bad mix of reduced functions that 98 had and 2000's good stability. I think because it was kinda a beta of Windows XP, ME was much worser than 98 and 2000, the intersection between the 9x and NT line was just better in XP, than it was in ME.

Edited by win 98 fan
roadgeek9
The missing of the REAL MS-DOS Mode.

If you really wanted to, you could boot off a Windows ME boot disk...

aussiefloyd_fan
Everything caused a blue screen.

even the bluescreen its self... i had a blue screen before and was trying to read it and jot down the tech details and got a blue screen from a BS

Soldiers33

the system kept locking up.

darren89

blue screens really annoys me when i'm doing my work with it. :/

cork1958
the biggest problem with windows ME is, it was released. ;)

Kind of Like VistaMe, huh? :D

Never had anymore of a problem with Me that didn't occur in 95 or 98.

roadgeek9
even the bluescreen its self... i had a blue screen before and was trying to read it and jot down the tech details and got a blue screen from a BS

There was an error in the error? That's definitely stupid.

wst50
I used it when I was 9 on my mom's old piece of $#17. One time it crashed and never came back up.
I've fallen, and I can't get up!
Steeley

I never had a problem with it. Always ran fine. Sounds like I'm one of a very few lucky ones.

DomZ

ME was on my first ever computer, and back then I just accepted that computers had BSOD and locked up every few hours. Oh how times have changed ! (hugs his ubuntu)

J400uk
I never had a problem with it. Always ran fine. Sounds like I'm one of a very few lucky ones.

+1

I actually found it to be OK. I used it for 2 months in late 2001, it was when I did a upgrade install to windows xp home editon the problems started and I seriosuley considered going back to ME at one point..

roadgeek9

You probably had one of those "weird machines."

Steeley
You probably had one of those "weird machines."

Maybe. It was a custom build.

Pupik

I don't remember any problems with it while I used it, almost ten or so years ago.

-T-

I found it used to crash even during the install, but there was a way to get it to run a bit better, which involved copying many of the files from the cd to the system folder, it didn't crasdh so much after doing that. I forget the exact details but i do recall it crashing all the time. I used to run a tech dept in a small pc store n we hated dealing with machines that had Me on it

basix
Maybe. It was a custom build.

I beta tested ME on a custom build celeron 300A and it was fine, that said those of us were an isolated few

Steeley
I beta tested ME on a custom build celeron 300A and it was fine, that said those of us were an isolated few

Mine was an Intel Pentium 3 700Mhz from memory.