What was your biggest problem with Windows ME?

Maybe. It was a custom build.

It worked fine on the following of my 2 computers...

My Old Dell Latitude C600: Pentium III 750 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB Hard Drive (now runs a dual-boot of 98 and 2000)

My Old Desktop at my Mom's House: Pentium III 866 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive (now runs XP)

The fact that it was designed for multimedia but sucked at games... (games are multimedia)

Windows ME was my first Windows OS. The Big Bang was my first Apple operating system.

Was at a friend once, back when ME was still new.

I saw there was a few updates available through Windows Update and asked him if I could update. I went ahead and downloaded them, first patch-install crashed the computer and the thing would never boot again :laugh: He had to re-install.

i found windows me to be uite ok too. there were few occasional bsods, but i had them in win 95 as well. it was a bit slower too, but nothing as major as people tend to think.

i found windows me to be uite ok too. there were few occasional bsods, but i had them in win 95 as well. it was a bit slower too, but nothing as major as people tend to think.

Well, most Neowinians have those "weird" machines that actually can run Windows ME. Just as I have been saying for an EXTREMELY long time.

• 2 weeks later...

No real major problems other than sometimes it would still want a cd in the drive-- and had to hit multiple times the cancel key. Though on some computers it ran like a dream with one BSOD a month (which was good for the time compared to the 3 or 4 a month with WIN98SE). Other than that people give it such a rag... I mean after all it was the first of the 9x line that would make backups on its own (restore Points) without user intervention. Other than that I think it was doomed due to poor timing with other releases.

No real major problems other than sometimes it would still want a cd in the drive-- and had to hit multiple times the cancel key...

I get the same problem sometimes in XP...

The only issue I ever had with WinME was that it was based off of Windows 9x.

Other than that, I never had any problems that I didn't have with Win95 or Win98.

Windows ME was totally pointless it was an attempt to boost sails going into 2000 after 2 years without an OS, it was totally untested or it they would of picked up some of the issues. The only things it introduced that were news was system restore, which had a bug that rendered it useless after some date in September.

I think I had a really raw deal I had it installed on a Time PC so you never really new if it was the PC or the OS that caused the frequent BSOD's.

Lets hope we never see an OS like that again.

My biggest problem with Windows ME was that it would work perfectly fine and then just fall over dead without any sort of explanation; I think the reason why Microsoft released it in the first place was to bridge the gap between Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 as more and more people were buying Windows 2000 thinking it was the same code-base as Windows 98 and that it was a simple upgrade, not realizing that it was in fact Windows NT, this may be why a lot of the visual aspects of Windows 2000 were brought over to Windows ME.

And you know what? As soon as Windows XP was released, Windows ME disappeared from store shelves and from prebuilt computers faster that you can blink, it was a mistake and Microsoft realized it. With Windows 7 on the horizon, I can see the same thing happening to Windows Vista.

My biggest problem with Windows ME was that it would work perfectly fine and then just fall over dead without any sort of explanation; I think the reason why Microsoft released it in the first place was to bridge the gap between Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 as more and more people were buying Windows 2000 thinking it was the same code-base as Windows 98 and that it was a simple upgrade, not realizing that it was in fact Windows NT, this may be why a lot of the visual aspects of Windows 2000 were brought over to Windows ME.

It would make sense...

That it wouldnt install at all on my top of the line pc. The install would start up and bam error out. I installed 2000 instead.

By top-of-the-line, do you mean the following (or similar)?

Pentium III 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive :p

Is there any rule on posting legit serials/license for this stuff cause i have spare Windows ME one laying round might get rid of/donate for people in here to use haha :rofl:

Is there any rule on posting legit serials/license for this stuff cause i have spare Windows ME one laying round might get rid of/donate for people in here to use haha :rofl:

I don't think it's allowed.

My Desktop would BSOD randomly. I didn't know what caused it because I wasn't that knowledgeable about computers in general during that time.

I guess that's the HUGE problem with ME...

My mother-in-law still uses ME on her HP. It still does everything she needs it for and it actually has never crashed. I think she was the only user that had a good experience with it.