Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

I think this is going down the information overload path. Does the general population really need to know about the warning levels of an individual user?

That being said, I also think that things like post count breeds quantity over quality, so I'm on the lunatic fringe of moderation policies.

I think the rap sheet should always be visible, banned or not. Because in my opinion, this should go two ways and allow people to expose partial moderators. And I'm more thinking about topical partiality, not personal grudges. You know, to keep things like John S (sorry to pick on you, but it's polarizing enough as example), aka adonai, so pro-christian that it hurts, moderating RWI back in the day as normal mod, which more often than not contains a fair amount of religious threads.

And fear not, I'm not even going to argue this past this post unlike that MVC stuff back then.

RWI is a completely different kettle of fish with its own set of problems. The majority of members are not affected by what goes on in the Real World Issues forum. That isn't what this thread is about.

To answer your question, however, we have a variety of political opinions on staff and as such we tend to cancel each other out. If I present a liberal bias then John S. can counter that. Balance is restored and peace spreads across the universe. It's only really a problem if we have too many people of one political perspective.

You will find that mature people can work well together on these issues. There have been several other moderators that have or do represent a more right wing perspective and I have always had a pleasant time working with them. As I have said before, all moderator actions are logged and issues are often discussed as a group. There are no cowboys on this ship.

I think the rap sheet should always be visible, banned or not. Because in my opinion, this should go two ways and allow people to expose partial moderators. And I'm more thinking about topical partiality, not personal grudges. You know, to keep things like John S (sorry to pick on you, but it's polarizing enough as example), aka adonai, so pro-christian that it hurts, moderating RWI back in the day as normal mod, which more often than not contains a fair amount of religious threads.

Having an opinion and moderating according to it are 2 different things. If I moderated RWI according to my opinions, there'd be nobody left.

I know, I was only stating my view as the whole Snyper hype happened when I was lurking. :) We are going way off topic though so let's get this ban material back on the tracks.

Ps. So that's what it's called in English "the feather that broke the camel's back". Down here with would be "the drip that let the bucket run over".

It's 'straw that broke the camel's back'. Not feather. Just fyi.

What shockz said is correct, that is what i was trying to say lol, i just suck at explaining things :p

Okay Colin, thanks. Actually I shouldn't have said anything - guess I was just a little sensitive yesterday.

Does the system work?

You only have to look at all the crap in the Mac Book Air News Post, only 1 or two probably have a Air, only some have a Mac and only about 10% are bothered about the news story, the rest are in there to have a jolly old bash, this type of behaviour is allowed, sometimes even joined in by the Respected mods and admins. Should this behaviour be allowed which can be classed as a prelude to the type of behaviour that will get people warnings.

Does the system work?

You only have to look at all the crap in the Mac Book Air News Post, only 1 or two probably have a Air, only some have a Mac and only about 10% are bothered about the news story, the rest are in there to have a jolly old bash, this type of behaviour is allowed, sometimes even joined in by the Respected mods and admins. Should this behaviour be allowed which can be classed as a prelude to the type of behaviour that will get people warnings.

If you see something inappropriate then report it. We, however, can't force people to have an informed opinion. Usually those sorts of comments stand out as such anyway.

Well, the present system will punish someone that makes a single Personal jibe against someone.

But posters that can enter a thread with no intention of actually contributing to the news story and post what could be classed as multiple trolling posts, well all do it, but sometimes it goes over the top and the result is that some is going to get personally insulted and result in a warning.

This type of behaviour is allowed, if calling someone a idiot is worthy of a warning, shouldn't there also be warnings against this type of behaviour?

Well, the present system will punish someone that makes a single Personal jibe against someone.

But posters that can enter a thread with no intention of actually contributing to the news story and post what could be classed as multiple trolling posts, well all do it, but sometimes it goes over the top and the result is that some is going to get personally insulted and result in a warning.

This type of behaviour is allowed, if calling someone a idiot is worthy of a warning, shouldn't there also be warnings against this type of behaviour?

Rules 5 through 7 and 10 cover it all.

You need to have 2 warnings for it to show.

The easy way to not get warned, is to report the comment and move on, if you start making personal attacks, you're going to get warned.

Does the system work?

Well, if the staff ends up heavily moderating ?Apple-related news threads, they'd have to do the same to just about any major article about Vista ?where 75% of the thread turns into ?a Vista -sucks-ass-no-it-doesn't-yes-it-does flamefest.

Don't mistake me, yes, it goes on in many other threads, I just used that as a prominent example. Yes the Vista vs XP debate is almost as bad, but I don't go in the Vista threads as I havn't ever used Vista so it is something I can't comment on.

We try to facilitate and encourage mature posting. We try to eliminate flames and flame-bait. We do, however, have to strike a balance between letting people express themselves and getting rid of the worst stuff. If I removed and/or warned for every post that didn't meet my personal standards then there may not be many posts left.

If we remove too much we get blamed for being nazis. If we remove too few and flame-wars break out that then need to be put under control, well, we get blamed for being nazis there too. It is a delicate balance.

We try to facilitate and encourage mature posting. We try to eliminate flames and flame-bait. We do, however, have to strike a balance between letting people express themselves and getting rid of the worst stuff. If I removed and/or warned for every post that didn't meet my personal standards then there may not be many posts left.

If we remove too much we get blamed for being nazis. If we remove too few and flame-wars break out that then need to be put under control, well, we get blamed for being nazis there too. It is a delicate balance.

...And that is why I respect the mods here. It is all too often a thankless job. Everyone likes to complain about x or y, but hardly anyone compliments the mods for the amazing work they do here.

...And that is why I respect the mods here. It is all too often a thankless job. Everyone likes to complain about x or y, but hardly anyone compliments the mods for the amazing work they do here.

I agree. And most of the complaining is from people who have gotten warnings and cause problems and such. I've gotten a few warnings, but I recognize what I did wrong and I agree with the action taken. I think if people are mature, even if they slip up once or twice, they can handle a warning now and then and get over it pretty easily.

i like the new policy ... but you should take it even further and anyone with a 40% warning or higher should have their post count frozen (the equivalent of having their e-penis nicked off) :p .

Edited by WolfDV

• 2 weeks later...

no news since i hired all staff to investigate where my "subscriber-paypal-money" went :ninja:

i still think it's a bad idea to expose people. will only cause alot of trouble.