Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

1. Other forums tend to be more of a private club than a true community. That is why I like Neowin. I didn't know anybody here in real life when I joined as a member or when I became staff.

2. Some will be embarrassed but not everyone.

3. Different personalities is what makes this a community. A collection of robots would be rather dull.

4. Some people might get restricted from certain forums, some people may not be able to post for several days, some people may not be able to edit their profile, some may not be allowed on the IRC channel. Blue Fmods (or just moderators) and Green Gmods (global moderators) are responsible for moderating either the forums, the front page comments or both. Supervisors are responsible for solving the day-to-day problems that come up. Admins usually concern themselves with coding, advertising or other long-term issues. If you have a problem with a moderator/global moderator then you can take it to a supervisor. If you have a problem with a Supervisor then you can take it to an admin. If you have a problem with an Admin then, well, you've got problems.

5. Rumours are, however, that there will be a cash bar.

Cash barrr??????? Well, if it's Legion/Mess prices it should be okayy.

There will be a time where someone with a very high warning will post something and someone will go "I think ill take the advice of someone who isn't 60% warned thank you :)". Currently when someone posts the only thing which seems to effect "matters" is their post count.

People said that about the MVC badge too, but that didnt happen. I dont see this being any different.

And guys, it's not because you have a warning that you're bad. Look at Stevo FC. He has a 60% warning level and he has been banned before yet he still obtained an MVC badge because he's a contribution to the community. Your warning level increases as you do something wrong but mistakes are human. It's not because you have a warning level above 0% that you're bad, not at all.

And guys, it's not because you have a warning that you're bad. Look at Stevo FC. He has a 60% warning level and he has been banned before yet he still obtained an MVC badge because he's a contribution to the community. Your warning level increases as you do something wrong but mistakes are human. It's not because you have a warning level above 0% that you're bad, not at all.

Amen. :p

People said that about the MVC badge too, but that didnt happen. I dont see this being any different.

I beg your pardon? Unless I'm very much mistaken, one of the reasons for the "mvc" designation is so posters will recognize those who have proven themselves helpful over time and give their posts a little more weight. If you're saying that was neither the intent nor the result perhaps you can explain the purpose of "mvc" designations.

I beg your pardon? Unless I'm very much mistaken, one of the reasons for the "mvc" designation is so posters will recognize those who have proven themselves helpful over time and give their posts a little more weight. If you're saying that was neither the intent nor the result perhaps you can explain the purpose of "mvc" designations.

I think what he was saying was something along these lines:

Poster1: I need help with this

Poster2: Do this

Poster1: Oh... well you're not an MVC... I'll wait for one of them to chime in

That fortuantely never happened.

Thanks for your politically correct response shokz ;), but I'd still like to hear from Colin.

(and of course I recognize it's 2:30 AM his time right now)

Edited by allan

Nice to see a few changes in the rules and how things are carried out every once in a while glad to see the work being done by our wonderful team.

I find it amusing how you keep coming back. That weak attempt at wit was delivered with what intent? To make staff members feel awkward or embarrassed? It definitely wasn't to make a point since there's none to be found.

At the end of the day, be a man and own up to your mistakes, that's all. You act like a warning is the end of the world or some great injustice placed upon your already overburdened shoulders. It's not. It simply means you hit submit before fully thinking out your post or you thought it out and decided to act foolishly, anyway.

This is an internet forum and we're simply trying to accommodate discussion that's a sliver better than what you find every where else on the web. If you want what every other site has to offer and hate that Neowin will not allow it, well, you can surely log out of here and have your pick of the litter with the rest of the web. It's really not difficult or heart breaking to either party.

I'm sorry, what the hell was that all about? I asked the question because being a Mod/Admin being paid on here seems a lot of work to do and wondered if it was an actual position they was rewarded to do.

Wasn't that post totally uncalled for and exactly what you're supposed to be trying to stamp out here?

Edited by evo_spook

I'm sorry, what the hell was that all about? I asked the question because being a Mod/Admin being paid on here seems a lot of work to do and wondered if it was an actual position they was rewarded to do.

Wasn't that post totally uncalled for, totally unreasonable and exactly what you're supposed to be trying to stamp out here?

I find it amusing you're not following your own rules.

I think only the first sentence was directed towards you. the rest was just a general statement...at least i think so.

Evo, welcome to the neowin of the last couple of years...

So many mods are so quick to say things like "don't let the door hit you on your way out" or "if you don't like it here leave"...funny thing is, if they suggested an adequate replacement, i bet at least half of those people would indeed leave (me included).

I've said it before and i'll say it again... i think its absolute bullsh.t that an admin can call a member an idiot and get away with it, the cherry on top being he comes back and says something like "yeah... its a perk of being the owner" while everyone else would at the very least get a warning.

I also extremely dislike the fact that one can get warned for getting back at someone. I believe that if you insult someone, you are automatically accepting the possibility that they can insult you back. I still find it offensive that i got warned once for telling someone who made an openly racist comment what a worthless pos he is.

I'm all for a more transparent moderation process, it will make it easier to spot unfairness while legitimizing adequate decisions at the same time

I have a few other problems with the site but i don't want to go off-topic.

@stevo: there is no way that first sentence is completely unrelated to the rest of the post. I'd be willing to accept that only the first paragraph is, but that was already an inadequate reaction.

@stevo: there is no way that first sentence is completely unrelated to the rest of the post. I'd be willing to accept that only the first paragraph is, but that was already an inadequate reaction.

Yeah sorry i meant to say first paragraph.

Anyways, you get warned here for not following the rules. Is that really so hard to understand? You do realize that your specific warning % means nothing right? Someone can be banned after being warned once because what they did is totally unacceptable. But others can be warned 15-20 times and not be banned. The warning they give is to show you that there are rules and you should follow them. They really do give most people the benefit of the doubt. Just because you got warned for what you said to someone doesn't mean that the mods don't agree with what you said or that they wouldn't say it themselves either. It simply means you aren't following the rules.

but then, if they approve of your actions yet have to warn you, doesn't that mean you need to change the rule?

Think of it this way... if i were a jackass who doesn't really care for being a member, i still get to insult you five times freely while you, who care about staying here would just have to take it. THAT is what i think is wrong with the current warning scheme.

They would ban you or at least suspend you if they suspect you are acting that way purposely. There is no specific protocol with handling people. It's been said a million times they deal with things on a case to case basis.

I don't get it. Is everyone here 15 years old? Just treat everyone with the same respect you hope to receive, that's all. And if someone gets out of line click the "report" button.

Get back at someone? Acting out on purpose? Bragging about not liking it here but continually posting childish and annoying comments? This is a support forum with a community of members for crying out loud. Are you kidding me?

but then, if they approve of your actions yet have to warn you, doesn't that mean you need to change the rule?

Think of it this way... if i were a jackass who doesn't really care for being a member, i still get to insult you five times freely while you, who care about staying here would just have to take it. THAT is what i think is wrong with the current warning scheme.

Have to take it? :laugh:

You make it sound like a physical assault!

Just ignore the person. If you have problems disregarding what some sociopath has to say, use the "ignore user" feature, and you will never have to see their posts again.

decryptor, you make a very short yet convincing argument... i guess im just on an odd mindset today.

@markejensen: very true... on the other hand, don't you agree that it can also be frustrating?

I have found the "Ignore" feature to be very handy.

One specific thing that annoys me is when a member asks a question. He is then given a factual, correct answer - but it's not the answer he wanted. So he harps on and on. This used to really frustrate me - and I was on the verge of creating another warn for myself. So I clicked the ignore button. I no longer see any of this idiots posts, and am chilled all the more for it.

And look - all those going on about "It's one rule for a mod/admin and one for members". Yup - and you and I can do nothing about it. And it's exactly the same in the real world. You may not like it, I may not like it - but that's the framework we are in, so live with it. Or leave, I guess?

As Neobond has said many times before - this is not a democracy. Why do people think it is?

@markejensen: very true... on the other hand, don't you agree that it can also be frustrating?

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly!

I have only ever used "ignore" twice before. The first person I used ignore on ended up getting banned shortly later - not a surprise. The second person ended up becoming a news poster here. :blink: That one surprised me. I un-ignored him after seeing he was staff, and he may have just been having a really bad day that one time.