Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

+Audioboxer
So you can call someone an idiot, ban them and then your immune from your own rules?

Stop inflating something that is not an issue.

Talk about taking a crumb and trying to turn it into a meal.

The people who run the board can do so in whatever way they want to (it's their board & their costs out of their pocket), we are here on our own choice. It just so happens Neowin has a crew that will listen, change to reflect community wishes and on the whole moderate and stop user nonsense very well.

A board needs a community to thrive, we have 204,392 members, give or take a decent % probably lurkers/inactive... but that is a an impressive amount of signups, Neowin must be doing something right eh?

People go on about powertrips and moderation mistakes as if they are a daily occurence EVERY moderator makes. If that was truely the case the community would not be thriving, but statistics say otherwise. Of course there will be isolated cases where things go wrong, I myself received a warning and then it was turned around because it wasn't justified - All that that proves though are mods are human, they aren't machines and if you're willing to discuss things respectfully you'll be listened to.

Edited by Audioboxer
Damo R.
So you can call someone an idiot, ban them and then your immune from your own rules?

It didn't seem like he was aiming it at a member anyway.

»X«
The people who run the board can do so in whatever way they want to (it's their board & their costs out of their...
Can I stop you there..yawn.

So in the end then, this is all meaningless since the people who run the board can do what they damn well please?

Stop inflating something that is not an issue.

Hypocrisy will always been an issue no matter how minor. And I myself have personally experienced it on a more major scale here on Neowin.

+Audioboxer

So in the end then, this is all meaningless since the people who run the board can do what they damn well please?

Hypocrisy will always been an issue no matter how minor. And I myself have personally experienced it on a more major scale.

Yes they can do whatever they damn well please it's their board, not mine, not yours. The guy(s) who pay the running costs are the guys who are arguably most important. Without them the board wouldn't exist full stop.

You take away the cow, then the farmers can't make milk/cheese and then you have no choice at all. The cow exists then you have a choice to pick the brand of cheese, or go elsewhere for another brand.

We are part of the board, yes, and people like us need to exist or the board wouldn't itself.

My point being, you can't please everyone on a board, but if you keep the majority happy, your board will stay afloat and for anyone who leaves kicking and screaming, 2 more people will join - That is how a community runs mate, love it or loathe it.

This place is run very well, or else it would not be at the size it is today, trust me on that. I came to Neowin from ieXbeta where I am a moderator, but ieXbeta is as quiet as a deadzone nowadays with only the regulars visiting to keep in touch with each other - Not for any fault of the staff on the board as such, we were never a community of the size of Neowin, but it's because techie news sites & forums are replicated EVERYWHERE online - There is soo much choice. My point being for Neowin to be at the size it is today, really does show how successful the place is.

Edited by Audioboxer
spenser.d

Hypocrisy will always been an issue no matter how minor. And I myself have personally experienced it on a more major scale here on Neowin.

To answer your first question, yes. They can. This **** isn't a democracy. They own the board and they can do what they want, they just choose to bring the community in to their decisions.

It's not hipocrisy if the guy actually is an idiot. The person in question, if his post can even be construed as aimed at a person, made a second account (and possibly a third) to evade a previous ban. Such a complete disregard for the rules is idiocy in it's finest and I have no problem with it being called out. It's far different than, say, someone who disagrees with you because you think Vista sucks (this is purely hypothetical - I don't know your opinion on Vista) and they don't. They aren't an idiot because of that, but some people on the forum seem to think otherwise at times.

-Spenser

bibutteryboy

well, I'm a self proclaimed ******* and really don't give a rat's butt on who knows it. Look at the amount of posts I make here. Not even a dent compared to some of you who have no life outside of this forum. On a scale of 1 to 10 for forums and good discussions, Neowin rates about a 1.5. This is the place I come to when I want to get under someone's skin.

Too many kids and too many restrictions on adults who just want to say what they want to say without being slapped on the hand.

If Neowin were a police force they'd want you to wear a sign on your back telling the world everything you've done wrong in the past. You people who are sweating over this sillyness need to get a reality check. It's a flippin' forum. Nothing more.

To each their own I guess. But if you want less restrictions when making a debate or just in general you better pack up your Neowin badges and find somewhere else to go.

neowin has gone from a great place to discuss events and such to a community of kids who want to know what kind of shampoo you use. wtf?

Trust me folks, there are bigger and better forums out there.

+Audioboxer
well, I'm a self proclaimed ******* and really don't give a rat's butt on who knows it. Look at the amount of posts I make here. Not even a dent compared to some of you who have no life outside of this forum. On a scale of 1 to 10 for forums and good discussions, Neowin rates about a 1.5. This is the place I come to when I want to get under someone's skin.

Too many kids and too many restrictions on adults who just want to say what they want to say without being slapped on the hand.

If Neowin were a police force they'd want you to wear a sign on your back telling the world everything you've done wrong in the past. You people who are sweating over this sillyness need to get a reality check. It's a flippin' forum. Nothing more.

To each their own I guess. But if you want less restrictions when making a debate or just in general you better pack up your Neowin badges and find somewhere else to go.

neowin has gone from a great place to discuss events and such to a community of kids who want to know what kind of shampoo you use. wtf?

Trust me folks, there are bigger and better forums out there.

Go join them then.

The fact your took the time to type all of that up means you must care somewhat about Neowin.... no?

I never understand people who do large leaving speeches/complaints and then say they don't give a rats ass about the place?

Neowin caters for many ages, therefore has to be policed strictly in terms of content.

You want to have a bit more "flexibility", subscribe and join the subscribers section ;)

Not even a dent compared to some of you who have no life outside of this forum.

Way to judge people you've never even met/got to know (N) I despise people who say things like that and totally write off people who could be the nicest most down to earth guy/girls you'd ever meet and just because they have a lot of posts they have "no life".

Sorry but that is one absolutely outrageous and stupid view to have.

You people who are sweating over this sillyness need to get a reality check. It's a flippin' forum. Nothing more.

It's a community with real views, real posts, real input from real people.... If it wasn't for the barrier of not being able to "see" who you are talking to, this would just be like 1,000 people meeting in a large room and talking to one and other.

And if we all met in that room, in a venue in a large say hotel, don't you think the hotel would have rules/regulations? I don't think they'd take nicely to all 1,000 of us running around naked firing off guns or something.

My point? This is real life mixed in with virtual life, and because of that a forum needs to borrow a lot of real life values such as moderation, rules, laws and community input/say. And just like in real life, there will be topics/chat that doesn't interest you in the slightest, such as what shampoo do you use? But like in real life, you ignore those conversations, you don't walk down the street punching people in the face who are talking to their friends about something you think is "pointless".

Edited by Audioboxer
bibutteryboy
The fact your took the time to type all of that up means you must care somewhat about Neowin.... no?
Neowin rates about a 1.5. This is the place I come to when I want to get under someone's skin.

what part of that didn't you understand?

I never understand people who do large leaving speeches/complaints and then say they don't give a rats ass about the place?

it took me all of 30 seconds to write that up. This is the only forum that I go to that gets people so in a tizzy over the dumbest things. It's kind of a quick 1 minute chuckle for me.

Anyone over 25 should really try to expand their horizons. Life doesn't end with Neowin.

Lt-DavidW
Yes they can do whatever they damn well please it's their board, not mine, not yours. The guy(s) who pay the running costs are the guys who are arguably most important. Without them the board wouldn't exist full stop.

I agree, but I'll play devil's advocate and admit that it's hardly "leading by example".

Some people just enjoy challenging authority. But I don't see it that way.

We're a community and being a member is a privilege, not a right.

Damo R.

This thread has probably more replies then Neobond thought it would :p

bibutteryboy

A community? So how many of these people have you actually met? How many of them have you every seen in a picture? If you see any of them walking down the street would you know them?

a privilege not a right? Since when? You make it sound like a closed gate community and not a public forum.

You people are forgetting what a "community" is all about. Diversity. Different opinions. Different personalities.

If I walked down your street and called you an idiot would I be warned by the local police? Chances are you would call me something else and that would be that.

All I'm saying is that there a a lot of forums that I would consider community based. Neowin just isn't one of them. There are a lot of forums that you are not given a badge for the amount of posts you make. You are criticized for saying something idiotic but not punished and praised when you say something worth saying. There's a sense of realism on some forums. This is not one of them.

Anyway. Got to go. Real world is calling and I've posted about as much as I want to.

+allan
Anyway. Got to go. Real world is calling and I've posted about as much as I want to.

And about as much as the rest of us care to read, I dare say ;)

+Audioboxer
it took me all of 30 seconds to write that up. This is the only forum that I go to that gets people so in a tizzy over the dumbest things. It's kind of a quick 1 minute chuckle for me.

Anyone over 25 should really try to expand their horizons. Life doesn't end with Neowin.

And you'll find 99.9% of people agree with that.

Neowin is a hobby for a lot of people. In essence being part of a message board is much more akin to "living life" than sitting in your room watching movies/playing games hours on end.

On a message board you interact with people like you would in real life, the obvious pros being you won't get judged on appearance/confidence isn't as big an issue for certain people/plus the shield of anonymity is welcomed by a lot of people.

Of course real life comes before a message board, and I put my REAL friends, real life issues and hobbies infront of Neowin, but that doesn't mean I can't balance things and still visit here to talk to folk I know over the web.

In terms of people getting passionate about the board, it's not different than someone spending 3 hours in their garage trying furiously to fix the car they've ran for 10 years of their life and become attached to. People enjoy the community and want to see it go forward in the best way possible - Nothing wrong with that at all, infact I think the admins/mods relish the idea that so many members of the community care and are behind them, but will also stand up for themselves and point out areas they think Neowin could be improved in (Y)

This is the only forum that I go to that gets people so in a tizzy over the dumbest things. It's kind of a quick 1 minute chuckle for me.

A 1 minute chuckle? Things can't be that dull you enjoy coming onto a board to try and flex some superiority and laugh at others.

I'd rather have a 4 hour chuckle with my mates down the pub (Y)

By that I do take it you mean it's a privilege to have Neowin and BE a member?

If so I do agree, i've been helped numerous times on here not only with techie stuff, made some great friends and had many laughs (at others expense of course :devil: :p).

+Audioboxer
A community? So how many of these people have you actually met? How many of them have you every seen in a picture? If you see any of them walking down the street would you know them?

a privilege not a right? Since when? You make it sound like a closed gate community and not a public forum.

You people are forgetting what a "community" is all about. Diversity. Different opinions. Different personalities.

If I walked down your street and called you an idiot would I be warned by the local police? Chances are you would call me something else and that would be that.

All I'm saying is that there a a lot of forums that I would consider community based. Neowin just isn't one of them. There are a lot of forums that you are not given a badge for the amount of posts you make. You are criticized for saying something idiotic but not punished and praised when you say something worth saying. There's a sense of realism on some forums. This is not one of them.

I fail to see how you could even enjoy being a part of any community after reading that.

Forums do not intend to replace real life, I think you have some things muddled up in your head about what exactly a message board/forum intends to offer.

Real life and Neowin can co-exist together easily.

Also for the record, you do not need to meet someone in person to have a worthwhile and enjoyable conversation with them.

I'm sure in real life you've phoned your bank/gas man/customer service somewhere and had a pleasant experience where someone has helped you out - The same thing happens on Neowin regularly.

I'm also sure a lot of people on Neowin would like to meet others in person, but it's hardly practical to travel half way around the world to see someone. Another plus of a community, you can interact with others at the other end of the world.

AJerman

Haha, I think warnings are silly. I've been warned twice, both were long ago (though I still have 20 left I think), and I don't remember them completely, but I do believe that one was because I went off on someone who deserved it and it was completely worth it, the second was BS IIRC. I think the whole idea of getting trouble in the world of Neowin cracks me up. I enjoy the site from time to time, granted it's nowhere near as good as it was many years ago, but I couldn't care less what "warning level" I'm at on the internet, and as crazy as it may sound, I wouldn't lose a second of sleep if I had a high warning level or were even banned.

I think the whole warning level system stinks of e-bully ego inflating. I've run many forums, IRC channels, you name it, and to me, you warn someone over PM if you think they deserved it, take mental note, and if they continue to cause problems, you ban them, simple as that. No need to have silly warning levels.

But, and here's the most important part kids, it doesn't matter one bit what I think, or what you think. So many of you think you have some kind of "rights" on here, but you know what, the site is run by it's staff, and they can do whatever the hell they want. Threads like this aren't needed, because user feedback isn't needed. I think you guys should thank Steve for giving you the chance to even give your input on such a matter.

+jamesyfx

Sounds like an idea.

But Warning levels don't always mean the user is a bad case. I got a warning for saying 'Idiot', I think. Which is an extremely light insult, and if someone gets warned various times for it.. Yeah.

But then again, rules are rules. It's not hard to follow simple things like 'Don't say idiot.' >.>

Lt-DavidW

^ You just said teh 'i' word! Wahh, I'm telling Mommy! :p

shockz

Well goodbye then.

Andrew Lyle
Well goodbye then.

LOL. He put himself out there, and I guess shockz called his bluff. It's better to get these type of people out of the way now, rather then doing it the hard way two months down the road.

After reading what Neobond wrote, why would you go and say that? What was he expecting to accomplish, and what did he think would happen. It's just stupid IMO.

+StevoFC
Well goodbye then.

Heh, I was wondering how long that would take...

+Audioboxer
Well goodbye then.

banstick.jpg

:rofl:

(ps. not saying that is YOU shockz ;))

Damo R.
Well goodbye then.

:laugh:

GNRambo

So whats the approx date that this will be implemented?

-Alex-

Apologies if this has already been requested in the thread, but I'm not reading all the replies :p Anyway, can you switch on the ability for us to view our own warn reasons? There's an option in IPB that you can enable/disable so that users can click their warning level and see the reasons.