Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

Guys like you are protected under the new system.. with only 20% your warn bars won't be shown ;)

I put mine in my sig, I don't care if people know I have a warning.

Thats asking for trouble lol.. you'd have people starting threads because a member voted 1 on a thread.. I think it's better anonymous.. don't you?

Is it possible to disable thread voting for GamersHangout all together then? Id rather have that than anonymous votes..

As Audiboxer said, there are way too many 1-star voters because of hate :/

We aren't worried about those members on 80% or 100% getting a freebie because generally those members will always screw up.

Hey - I was on 80 for a while (heck even 100). I don't like to think of myself as a "bad apple" as I do try and help a lot of people with tecchie issues (or other issues). And I ask questions too - which is still (in a way) contributing to Neowin.

I have a temper, yes - and sometimes post without thinking about context - two things I am REALLY trying hard to stem - and without certain buddy-boy influences here, I think I'm less of a bigshot and more of a helpful person. But showing my rating will make people question my useful help :(

THAT SAID: I do totally support this. My ego may be getting the better of me here, but I'd like to think I have learned a few lessons, and do not put myself in the same group as the people who deliberately flout the rules and start arguments for the sake of it.

Same applies in life. I have made many mistakes but learned from them. I guess the thread about who broke what rule will highlight exactly how the rules are being enforced for others to follow!

Is it possible to disable thread voting for GamersHangout all together then? Id rather have that than anonymous votes..

As Audiboxer said, there are way too many 1-star voters because of hate :/

Nope, there currently isn't. Hopefully IPB will support disabling star ratings in certain forums one day :)

Edited by Slimy

I'm glad to see this happening. I've been here a while and am often discouraged by some of the posts and attitudes that go with them.

I'll back you guys 100% in this move.

Nope, there currently isn't. Hopefully IPB will support disabling star ratings in certain forums one day :)
You can already do that actually - there's an option when you edit a forum to allow topics to be rated, and a few other settings.

I think we are miscommunicating. This solution hasn't been implemented yet, but once it is it will have an impact psychologically.

You can already do that actually - there's an option when you edit a forum to allow topics to be rated, and a few other settings.

Interesting, maybe the devs should know about this :shifty:

I think we are miscommunicating. This solution hasn't been implemented yet, but once it is it will have an impact psychologically.

Oh sorry, I quoted the wrong person :p

I seen this on a similar forum and it causes more harm then good i think. For one, it makes the user look bad because even thru they have a 40-100% warning level and they are trying to clean there act up, they kinda like feel left out with the other users because they know that they might be a bad user. When warnings are not displayed public, everyone is like equal in a way and the warned user is not alone

i might be a newbie, however i am going by what i see on other forums

I have a suggestion: instead of a five level warning, reduce it to three levels: three strikes and you're out.

I would support this. Warns should be taken seriously, not as a little 20% mark against you. I'm sure members would care more and behave if you deducted 1000 posts off their post count for every warn. :p

With the three strikes rule, if someone made the odd mistake then they can be excused the once, but there is absolutely no reason for someone to have to be warned three times within six months.

I know there are some people who feel they have been unfairly warned, but in my experience the mods are quite lenient and fair. But come on... having been warned three times has got to tell you something. Other forums would not be so kind.

1) how are you allowed to have a sig that big?

2) How are you an MVC with 20% warning :huh: :dontgetit:

1) Well the sig has been resized to meet the required size sent to me by a mod.

2) I just recently got the 20% by something silly I said on a thread, didn't even think that what I said would have got me a warning.

I was about to comment on the above, but was beaten to the punch! The attitude and the badge of honour come to mind!!

As for the topic on hand, it sounds pretty good to me!

I like the idea.

One question though. Will it follow a similar format:

User: Blah-de-Blah

Rule Broke: #5 - this is rul enumber 5 so we can all be reminded of it.

Additional Comments: Blah blah blah from Moderator

I think upon browsing the forum, it would be helpful to have the rules posted at the top to remind us all or a quick reference, link, special java to pop it up (like the adverts on the news pages?).

Good idea though - I for one am nosey!

Well I've been around for a while now and I have never been warned. I can only welcome this idea with open arms as I'm sure members will think twice before acting. At least, I hope that's what will happen.

I think upon browsing the forum, it would be helpful to have the rules posted at the top to remind us all or a quick reference, link, special java to pop it up (like the adverts on the news pages?).

Good idea though - I for one am nosey!

Quick Links (next to the search box) -> Community Rules.

I think this is an excellent idea! I always wondered which members had warnings and I think it's best if the rest of the community know.

P.S. How do you view how much warning percent you have? As I don't know if I have any (or at least I think I don't have any, but can't tell lol)

Explains some of the people that have gone missing I suppose, not that that's a bad thing, I've been happy to see some disappear as they only cause trouble.

Woo for changes for the better!

I've never had a warning in the time I've been here, obviously I'm not rebellious enough, lol. :p

Moderators can get warnings too. I'm positive I read that somewhere on neowin before