• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

Sethos    270

I see, why are they denying it then?

+Audioboxer    2,876
Sounds to me like more moderator power trips are in the future. I'm just so excited :rolleyes: but what the hell, the moderation here already sucks so bring it on.

Well I've had great experiences with the moderation, and a warning even being overturned on second investigation as it was a mistake.

So if REAL experiences count, then theres mine.

If you are respectful, ye shall be respected.

With the way some people in here are kicking and screaming, I doubt some of you were even the least bit respectful in your request for your warning to be investigated.

williamhook    0
Maybe Slimy didn't know you could do that? :laugh:

+Audioboxer    2,876
You can. I said so in the thread before. :)

-snip-

Hmm that is interesting, we've been told it's not possible before - the Neowin forum may be coded differently?

halcyoncmdr    4

Well, Slimy was the one who said it wasn't. He's just a newsposter, not a mod/admin/staff-per-se :p

I do agree though, in GH at least the ratings should be disabled. It causes too many problems and gaming is WAY too subjective.

chconline    158

Make the 0% warn show too, I would love to show mine :p

Mathachew    149

That would be because there's a Neowin conspiracy that involves threads and always rating them with one star :shiftyninja:

evo_spook    54
Well I've had great experiences with the moderation, and a warning even being overturned on second investigation as it was a mistake.

So if REAL experiences count, then theres mine.

If you are respectful, ye shall be respected.

With the way some people in here are kicking and screaming, I doubt some of you were even the least bit respectful in your request for your warning to be investigated.

Never bothered argue or investigated, just sent email, saying agree on those points, pointed somethings and left it at that, its a forum, I'm not going to waste my time asking for investigated when someones disagrees with something. In one way it will be interesting if those who do start the trouble have any warnings, will certainly be a eye opener if they are clean

theyarecomingforyou    10,425
Sounds to me like more moderator power trips are in the future. I'm just so excited :rolleyes:

Not at all. If you are giving a warning unfairly you can appeal it - this happened to me a year or so back and I appealed and it was lifted. However, if you break the rules then you get a warning... that is only fair. It makes sense that this only applies to 40% and above because they are the people that have broken the rules repeatedly in a small timeframe, whereas 20% can be given for something relatively small and doesn't necessarily mean that the user is troublesome.

I have a 60% warn level, being registered since 2005, and I got 3 warnings in the space of a week, 2 was due to people going into news storys just to troll and cause trouble, but these type of actions seem to be accepted, they can going start any old sh*t and soon, as you tell them to bugger off, they cry to mods and get a warning and they get off scott free.

I'm sorry but that's really no surprise as your attitude is very hostile / negative. If you get a warning then that should really make you think about what you post. Is there really any need to swear and self censor the words? There are plenty of ways to express yourself without resorting to hostility / vulgarity. It's people like you that this system is designed to expose.

NEway, it remains to be seen how successful / productive this initiative will be but it has the potential to be useful. At the same time it could turn those people warned into second class citizens and their views, however valid, will be treated with less credibility - I am unsure whether that is justified but then it just creates an incentive to remain a polite and helpful user.

evo_spook    54
I'm sorry but that's really no surprise as your attitude is very hostile / negative. If you get a warning then that should really make you think about what you post. Is there really any need to swear and self censor the words? There are plenty of ways to express yourself without resorting to hostility / vulgarity. It's people like you that this system is designed to expose.

Hmmm, hostile and negative? but the strange thing is, your very post is that towards me? Thats a personal attack, seems strange again, the other one was a Mod calling someone a Idiot, and both times, these will be ignored, as with the trolls in news storys, these are able to get away with.

helmers    0

I welcome this change. Even if someone feel bad about being penalized in public, it should make it more clear what is good and what is bad feedback.

;)

spenser.d    1,100
Hmmm, hostile and negative? but the strange thing is, your very post is that towards me? Thats a personal attack, seems strange again, the other one was a Mod calling someone a Idiot, and both times, these will be ignored, as with the trolls in news storys, these are able to get away with.

It wasn't a personal attack, it was a statement of why he thinks you're getting warned so much, and some constructive criticism as to how you might go about not getting warned.

-Spenser

evo_spook    54
It wasn't a personal attack, it was a statement of why he thinks you're getting warned so much, and some constructive criticism as to how you might go about not getting warned.

-Spenser

Warned so much? Lets see, here 3 years, nothing, no messages or warnings, the a week this year, I get 3, say I can't really agree with you saying "getting warned so much", as otherwise, I'd have racked up a lot more in the 3 years, something doesn't seem right, as with the bans, your above statement and whether it was a personal attack, it all comes down to personal opinion and this is where the mod system falls down.

A single mod should not have warning ability, 3 mods, should agree on a warning.

+.Vamp    3

Hurrah to the changes. Very welcome by me as I've never yet been warned :innocent:

evo_spook    54
Hurrah to the changes. Very welcome by me as I've never yet been warned (a)

Neither had I till January, and like Buses they all came at once!!

+Audioboxer    2,876
Warned so much? Lets see, here 3 years, nothing, no messages or warnings, the a week this year, I get 3, say I can't really agree with you saying "getting warned so much", as otherwise, I'd have racked up a lot more in the 3 years, something doesn't seem right, as with the bans, your above statement and whether it was a personal attack, it all comes down to personal opinion and this is where the mod system falls down.

A single mod should not have warning ability, 3 mods, should agree on a warning.

Banning maybe has to be discussed, but warning?! :blink:

A warning is not a ban, it's a slap on the wrist.

Moderators are respected members of the community who are trusted to run the place.

Do you really think there is time for 3 moderators to get together and discuss EVERY single warning handed out?

If you pull board stats there is probably a large pile of warnings handed out - 204,360 members?

If you disagree with a warning YOU can elevate it to be discussed between moderators if you feel it unjust, but don't be crazy, moderators have every right to hand out a warning themselves. They know the rules of the board and enforce them.

Damo R.    29,658

I would imagine all bannings are discussed at length anyway before it happens.

Malophant    0

can someone warn me so i know what it feels like? :whistle:

note: please dont do it :p

+Audioboxer    2,876

Well if it's someone CLEARLY breaking the rules, probably doesn't need much discussion :p But yeah, most bans will be discussed and voted on I suspect (Y)

Or else maybe the mods just ban at free will? :shiftyninja:

sicsucker.gif

evo_spook    54

What I find strange, Mods can ban you for just totting up simple things and yet no where can I find a button to delete your membership?

+Audioboxer    2,876
What I find strange, Mods can ban you for just totting up simple things and yet no where can I find a button to delete your membership?

?

If you want to leave, just pm a member of staff.

Dunno why you'd want to delete your own account though?

spenser.d    1,100

You could, ya know, cry about your problems some more, they might get fixed.

Now that could be construed as a personal attack, I suppose, since you need a good example of one. I'm still going to call it "reasons why you're getting warned".

Jesus, I was restricted, last December, for two weeks from the subforum that I frequent the most, and while I thought there were parts of that whole business that weren't fair, I moved on and still respect the mods. They do a great job. You don't see me still complaining even though there were things I didn't like about the situation. Moderation isn't up to you, and forums are not democracies - you really don't get a say in the situation unless the people who created the forum ask you to say something. If you don't like it, there are other places on teh internets.

-Spenser

evo_spook    54
?

If you want to leave, just pm a member of staff.

Dunno why you'd want to delete your own account though?

I did look for it at Xmas, as every thread I went over that time had the same old people pilling and making troll comments that had nothing to do with the story, just going in to mouth off that it became pointless reading them.

As I said, answer back to these countless posts, they go running to a mod, even thou they have deliberately gone in with an intention to cause trouble. This is the trouble I have with this mod system, there can be people who can start trouble and get away.

I can go into every Vista thread, can go on and on (often off topic) about how bad it is, get people to tell me to go away and get them banned.

Yd while I thought there were parts of that whole business that weren't fair, I moved on and still respect the mods. They do a great job.

-Spenser

If you read further above, I mentioned, I didn't bother to argue with it, even thou I agreed on some, disagreed on others. As I said, I respect some, I don't suddenly respect someone just cause they have a badge, their actions bring respect.

Colin-uk    135

indeed they are, the average length of such a thread would be around 4 pages, depending on the member in question.

Also, we dont delete member accounts, if the member doesnt wish to visit neowin anymore, they can simply leave.

I can go into every Vista thread, can go on and on (often off topic) about how bad it is, get people to tell me to go away and get them banned.

you do know theres a report system right?

null_    4

I like the improvements you're planning on making here, Neobond, I believe they will help better the community.