• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

night_stalker_z    9

The ban thing seems to be a good idea. Maybe make their posts show up in a light red or something so members know what they have posted.

+Audioboxer    2,876
The ban thing seems to be a good idea. Maybe make their posts show up in a light red or something so members know what they have posted.

That's a bit harsh, plus im sure there might be some sections/topics where nearly every post comes up as red :laugh:

Warnings are warnings - Slaps on the wrist for making a mistake.

That sort of treatment would make people leave and not come back.

Stephen    38

Neobond is it possible for you to also include a post showing what happens at certain points, and what the restricted groups mean?

ste

Colin-uk    135
yikes.gif

idhitit.gifshag.gif

im not sure if i should be worried by that post or not :rofl:

what happens at certain points

certain points?

+Audioboxer    2,876
im not sure if i should be worried by that post or not :rofl:

If it's a self protrait it means your a dashing cheerleader under the alias of Colin-uk right? Right...righ...?

Uh oh, abandon ship! doh.gif

night_stalker_z    9
That's a bit harsh, plus im sure there might be some sections/topics where nearly every post comes up as red :laugh:

Warnings are warnings - Slaps on the wrist for making a mistake.

That sort of treatment would make people leave and not come back.

I know. Easy to ignore those posts though. :laugh:

CelticWhisper    6
I'm sure members would care more and behave if you deducted 1000 posts off their post count for every warn.

Here's something I never did quite understand: Why the emphasis on postcount? I thought it was just another statistic - at least that's how I've viewed mine. I was always (perhaps mistakenly?) under the impression that it was how someone posts, rather than how much they post that determines the accolades they receive from the community.

Edited by CelticWhisper

+BeLGaRaTh    43

So will the people on 20% be reduced or is the global reduction only to those on 40% and above?

Personally I think its a good idea, how long do you think before its implemented? Ball park figure :)

insanekiwi    0

when i joined neowin back then (the dark ages :rofl:) people were not even allowed to discuss about warnings and whatnot. did i miss something or how will neowin and staffers prevent people from complaining, i.e. opening threads, asking questions, sending out PMs?

don't get me wrong, personally i can't understand this whole change idea at all.

metallithrax    522
Here's something I never did quite understand. Why the emphasis on postcount? I thought it was just another statistic - at least that's how I've viewed mine. I was always (perhaps mistakenly?) under the impression that it was how someone posts, rather than how much they post that determines the accolades they receive from the community.

I have always been the same, I have only ever made one milestone thread, and that was more of a joke than anything. I am coming up to six thousand post, no big deal. I do post helpful when I can, but sometimes I post for fun and laughs.

The Grasshopper    0

if forums were in person, real life....there wouldn't be a warn system at all.....

it would just be a plain old ass whoopin'. :whistle:

Colin-uk    135
If it's a self protrait it means your a dashing cheerleader under the alias of Colin-uk right? Right...righ...?

Uh oh, abandon ship! doh.gif

I got that bit :p

i wasnt sure if you were making a pass at me or the cheerleader :rofl: ... oh wait, i am the cheerleader..... *shrug* lol :p

But no, I havent had a sense of humour bypass, I probly actually laugh more that i should really, but its ok, nobodys noticed it enough to send me to a mental institution yet :shifty:

+Frank B.    7,151
I got that bit :p

i wasnt sure if you were making a pass at me or the cheerleader :rofl: ... oh wait, i am the cheerleader..... *shrug* lol :p

But no, I havent had a sense of humour bypass, I probly actually laugh more that i should really, but its ok, nobodys noticed it enough to send me to a mental institution yet :shifty:

Emphasis on yet.

+StevoFC    21

I can't wait to see what the ban list says about me :laugh:

Andrew Lyle    336
I can't wait to see what the ban list says about me :laugh:

"Your Next" :laugh:

Laura    146

I always wondered why it was private anyway, I didn't realise it straight away.

I think a good thing would be to start post restrictions and temporary bans from the first warning you get.

The first two or three warnings I got were little more than a PM and an increase in that number next to my profile, pretty meaningless and ineffective in my opinion. When you get banned for three days it makes you take it more seriously.

1) how are you allowed to have a sig that big?

2) How are you an MVC with 20% warning :huh: :dontgetit:

He's not the only one with a warn. A 20% warn will come from one bad post, that doesn't mean that the rest of your posts are bad.

I am afraid Neobond will have to get a warning for calling the one post wonder an "idiot"!! :laugh:

Others would.

I do think this 'exposure' of 40%+ people is an excellent idea. One thing I did wonder though. Imagine you've got a member at 100% and people know he is a 'loose cannon' and someone tries to get him angry to make him post something that will get him banned. It's a possibility. I guess the mods would analyse the situation to determine if that member was 'baited' to a ban, when it might not have happened if the baiter didn't know that member's warn level.

It's up to that member to refrain from responding and report it instead.

+allan    12

I have to admit I'm somewhat surprised by the responses in this thread. At the risk of sounding pedantic, please allow me to say this:

Forums such as Neowin and Tweaks may be communities, but they are primarily support oriented and are visited by people of all ages, many varied nationalities & creeds, and of course both sexes. While today's youth may be somewhat insensitive to how offensive their words and actions may be to others, it is the responsibility of the staff of these forums to do their best to make EVERY forum member and visitor feels comfortable and welcome. Not always easy. Typically the first reaction to a rude poster is to delete or modify the post and warn the poster (either by PM or, in Neowin's case, an actual warning on the forum). Actions should and do escalate from there.

The fact that some members feel they have been "unfairly treated" or "singled out" speaks more to their insensitivity, immaturity and / or callousness than any possible overreaction on the part of the forum staff. In my opinion we should all be grateful that Neobond and his staff care enough about how we, the members, feel and are treated to take these actions.

evo_spook    54

Insensitive maybe, I have a 60% warn level, being registered since 2005, and I got 3 warnings in the space of a week, 2 was due to people going into news storys just to troll and cause trouble, but these type of actions seem to be accepted, they can going start any old sh*t and soon, as you tell them to bugger off, they cry to mods and get a warning and they get off scott free. I'm sorry, people should accept actions have consequences.

The other, was a joke about Americans and Guns, one late sunday night after a few pints, sensitive I maybe, but I wouldn't go crying or give out bans just cause I disagreed with a joke, sorry, you get ten times worse in real life.

+allan    12
Insensitive maybe, I have a 60% warn level, being registered since 2005, and I got 3 warnings in the space of a week, 2 was due to people going into news storys just to troll and cause trouble, but these type of actions seem to be accepted, they can going start any old sh*t and soon, as you tell them to bugger off, they cry to mods and get a warning and they get off scott free. I'm sorry, people should accept actions have consequences.

The other, was a joke about Americans and Guns, one late sunday night after a few pints, sensitive I maybe, but I wouldn't go crying or give out bans just cause I disagreed with a joke, sorry, you get ten times worse in real life.

Well, there you go. Based on this post alone you'd receive a warning on my forum! It seems to me that the people complaining the most in this thread are the ones who already have received warnings and simply don't get it.

pHaez    0
I got 3 warnings in the space of a week, 2 was due to people going into news storys just to troll and cause trouble, but these type of actions seem to be accepted, they can going start any old sh*t and soon, as you tell them to bugger off, they cry to mods and get a warning and they get off scott free. I'm sorry, people should accept actions have consequences.

This is the exact reason for showing warnings now. Firstly, you shouldn't tell them to bugger off, simply report them, and let the mods do their jobs. Secondly, if they were really violating any rules, I am sure something was done about it, you just didn't know, because mods aren't allowed to discuss what/if/how they handle issues. With this new system, you can see that mods are in fact handling issues. I think you guys will actually be quite surprised as to what the mods have to deal with on a daily basis. I for one am certainly glad I don't have their daily duties.

I'm sorry, people should accept actions have consequences.

Indeed, they should. However, by the sounds of it, you haven't accepted that your telling people to "bugger off" led to the consequences of you being warned.

halcyoncmdr    4

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It provides a real visible consequence to not following the rules and being nice to people. It provides for a grace period where if you screw up, you know it, but the rest of the board doesn't need to know. After the second warning, you are then visible, it will make people think twice about it. If they wear it as a badge of honor, then they will try and get it higher, causing an eventual ban. I'd rather the people who want to wear their warning as a badge just leave. (Y)

Farstrider    298
Eric: I think you guys will actually be quite surprised as to what the mods have to deal with on a daily basis. I for one am certainly glad I don't have their daily duties.

I don't think so! To my way of thinking would be patently obvious that on a board this size there would be many things of this nature to attend to. If anyone who comes here on a regular basis has never given this any thought then they really must be living under a rock!

As to the issue regarding what the moderators have to put up with, is not really an argument that should be put forward. They do the job because they want to, no one is forcing them! It gives them a sense of worth and I am pretty sure that when the time comes and it gets too much to handle or they have simply had enough, then they stop doing it. Not really rocket science!

I personally think that most of them do a sterling job and should be commended for their efforts. The point I am making here is that when the going gets tough then deal with it or get out of the kitchen if you cannot take the heat!

evo_spook    54
Well, there you go. Based on this post alone you'd receive a warning on my forum! It seems to me that the people complaining the most in this thread are the ones who already have received warnings and simply don't get it.

Really? thats pretty sad.

Sethos    270
Nope, there currently isn't. Hopefully IPB will support disabling star ratings in certain forums one day :)

Odd, the day the Game Ratings forum was opened, nobody was able to vote, yet a mod/dev/admin something popped by and said he forgot to enable it .... hmmm, so it must be possible?

williamhook    0
Odd, the day the Game Ratings forum was opened, nobody was able to vote, yet a mod/dev/admin something popped by and said he forgot to enable it .... hmmm, so it must be possible?
You can. I said so in the thread before. :)

topic%20rating.png