Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

snip

Dude, you're the only person I know who cares about thread ratings. I'm not sure that there's anyone here to looks a thread and decides not to go in it because it has 1-star, or even thinks anything of it if it has 1-star - nobody pays attention to it. If thread ratings disappeared tomorrow, nobody would even notice (except you, of course, because you obsess over it).

New rules are a + (Y).

-Spenser

An MVC is a normal member just like everyone else but he gets a reward for his contribution to the community. The fact that he has a warning doesn't interfere with his contribution to the community is my guess. Why would it anyway? He could have received a warning for saying something in General Discussion but contributes mostly in the Windows section. There is a difference between both locations and targets.

That's just my 2c.

Good news, maybe now I'll get a reason why my last account (Heliophage) was banned as a "duplicate account" when I'd never registered here before. yeah, I guess that's too much to ask from the ban-happy mods on this board.

Don't agree with the system, like the above I got a warning for a Joke that a mod decided wasn't funny.

And I have more for reply back to trollers who go screaming for there mummy rather then act like an adult and can't take things back when they come into threads to cause trouble rather then have a discussion. The problem is the mods are human and have their bias and view many things differently.

Is there a feature that prevents users with a 40%-warning from raising their postcount? :)

Maybe thats something to think about...

Beside of that: I like the idea of showing the warning rate globally. Anything else is just "oh well, i got a warning. but who cares? i can get five of them and nothing happens"...

Don't agree with the system, like the above I got a warning for a Joke that a mod decided wasn't funny.

And I have more for reply back to trollers who go screaming for there mummy rather then act like an adult and can't take things back when they come into threads to cause trouble rather then have a discussion. The problem is the mods are human and have their bias and view many things differently.

and due to that, some people get warnings they should never deserved

Good news, maybe now I'll get a reason why my last account (Heliophage) was banned as a "duplicate account" when I'd never registered here before. yeah, I guess that's too much to ask from the ban-happy mods on this board.

Do you realize how dumb you look? You've never registered here before but you know that the mods are ban-happy!?

I wonder why!

Idiot.

PS: All staff can cross reference IP addresses to other accounts.

You can't do good for everyone in my opinion. Some will say the warning is deserved, others will say it's not. I know I've read something about global guidelines the moderators need to follow but they have their own interpretation. If the moderator feels you should get a warning then he will give you one. It's that simple.

Remember if you disagree with a moderator you can always contact a supervisor with your query. You may be correct but that's their task to figure out and handle appropriately.

@Neobond: Come on, don't lower yourself to huge text and calling people idiots. Not really appropriate in a "warning" thread is it? ;) :p

Dude, you're the only person I know who cares about thread ratings. I'm not sure that there's anyone here to looks a thread and decides not to go in it because it has 1-star, or even thinks anything of it if it has 1-star - nobody pays attention to it. If thread ratings disappeared tomorrow, nobody would even notice (except you, of course, because you obsess over it).

New rules are a + (Y).

-Spenser

Yeah I can't sleep at night over it....

No, I get peeved off as I get targeted badly, even you'd agree on that. It's a valid criticism of the system on my behalf.

When you put a lot into the community by posting a lot of news, it's disheartening to see your topics get rated like crap. Makes you feel unwelcome.

harsh.jpg

^

Just an example of how bad it is at times.

That's just my feelings, maybe if you posted as many topics and have as many topics slanted by rating like I do you might feel differently. People trawl the gh and vote my topics 1-star, it's obvious. Of course I'd like to know whos doing it, and im sure the moderators would as well - It's abusing the rating system and frustrating me - Worthwhile of a warning IMO.

And I do ignore it most of the time (or else I wouldn't of continued to post topics), it's just when I get an opening like this, I'll respectfully make my voice heard again.

Dude, you're the only person I know who cares about thread ratings.

Incorrect as well, if I really was, others wouldn't have spoken up about the issue of topic rating in the GH either. They have many times.

Edited by Audioboxer

I like the idea, but have a suggestion. I'm a believer in reward along with punishment. How about adding something (star, tag, whatever) to those accounts over a year old (or whatever time is favorable, just not new/unused accounts) that have NEVER had a warning of any kind? Just a thought. I feel if you up the punishment on something you should up the reward on the other end of things. JMHO

You can't do good for everyone in my opinion. Some will say the warning is deserved, others will say it's not. I know I've read something about global guidelines the moderators need to follow but they have their own interpretation. If the moderator feels you should get a warning then he will give you one. It's that simple.

Remember if you disagree with a moderator you can always contact a supervisor with your query. You may be correct but that's their task to figure out and handle appropriately.

@Neobond: Come on, don't lower yourself to huge text and calling people idiots. Not really appropriate in a "warning" thread is it? ;) :p

And thats the problem, If I called someone Idiot, I'd get a warning, even if it was deserved.

Theres also the news blog on the front page about the Apple Air, that when it was written was pure flame bait.

It was absolutely unbelievable piece of writing.

There is also the problem with the site being visited by juveniles, who as I said, moan and slag things off, and then get upset when told to bugger off out it, this place needs to be more adult, calling someone a moron for being stupid shouldn't be a warning, it should be just edited out.

Moderators can get warnings too. I'm positive I read that somewhere on neowin before

Is this accurate?

Do you realize how dumb you look? You've never registered here before but you know that the mods are ban-happy!?

I wonder why!

Idiot.

PS: All staff can cross reference IP addresses to other accounts.

I am afraid Neobond will have to get a warning for calling the one post wonder an "idiot"!! :laugh:

Incorrect as well, if I really was, others wouldn't have spoken up about the issue of topic rating in the GH either. They have many times.

What's GH...?

I like the idea, but have a suggestion. I'm a believer in reward along with punishment. How about adding something (star, tag, whatever) to those accounts over a year old (or whatever time is favorable, just not new/unused accounts) that have NEVER had a warning of any kind? Just a thought. I feel if you up the punishment on something you should up the reward on the other end of things. JMHO

Ha, you'd end up with all the mods chums and who they agree with on gold stars ;-)

I registered in 2005, and only being warned in the last 3 months, due to having enough of people who come into a news story just to cause trouble, they have no interest in the topic so why be there?

And its always the same people, do they get warned or banned? No.

Good behaviour comes as standard :p

Your reward is your posting rights :shiftyninja: :laugh:

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't really think it's necessary?

Infact the MVC award fits this category (people who have behaved and contributed well over a time period) anyway IMO (Y)

Audioboxer - I know your not the only one that gets annoyed about ratings I mean Jedixangel got annoyed and recently posted about it in MM but for me if someone rates my thread 1 star I don't mind as long as people get discussing the point and stay on topic and don't get angry then I don't care infact I wouldn't miss the ratings if they went.

Audioboxer - I know your not the only one that gets annoyed about ratings I mean Jedixangel got annoyed and recently posted about it in MM but for me if someone rates my thread 1 star I don't mind as long as people get discussing the point and stay on topic and don't get angry then I don't care infact I wouldn't miss the ratings if they went.

Yeah I know, I don't tip the iceberg on the matter, as I said, If I see a good opportunity I'll raise the issue.

Everyone reacts differently to topic rating, and if abuse of it continues people who don't normally cause any troube may get defensive/angry over the matter and land themselves a silly warning.

It's victimisation to an extent :/

At least when it's obvious specific individuals go out their way to rate your topics 1-star as for whatever reason they don't like you - Topic ratings are for the topic, not the person.

That's why mods should be able to see whos voting on topics and then THEY can deal with it. Seems sensible to me, community doesn't get involved and everything is done behind the scenes. Of course 1-star rating doesn't = warning, but if a mod can see a trend, or unreasonable rating on someones behalf, they can intervene to ask questions as to why?

Obviously I don't think we can do that yet due to the board limitations, im just saying it would be a nice idea if it could be implemented.

I'm trying to think of ways to keep ratings, rather than just ditch them completely - As they can be useful, and it's always rewarding if you post a good article to see your topic rated in align with your content (Y)

Gives the community a way to show thanks - Other than just posting in the topic itself. As I said ratings outside of the movie section are different, you don't rate a movie topic 5 stars to thank the author for posting the topic if you don't like the movie... but if someone in the GH posts a well written, good article to read, even if you don't totally agree with the article, you can still rate the topic highly for it's merits of discussion and then in WRITING explain in the topic why you don't agree.

Edited by Audioboxer

snip

Don't get me wrong here, I agree that while the system is in place, it's childish and stupid to just go rating certain threads 1 star, I just don't see why it's such a big deal to just ignore the fact that the system is there. Like I said, nobody goes into a thread with a preconceived notion that it will be good or bad based on a thread rating - they go into a thread because the thread title has intrigued them. It's not like your 1-star thread are any less of threads than other ones or that people are going to ignore yours and not chat in them because they see that they have 1 star - that's just not what people look for when they when go into threads.

-Spenser

Maybe just keep the ratings for posts that require them i.e movie ratings or game ratings (if there is one I can't remember), all over posts should be disabled from ratings.