How big is your windows folder?

wow, i just did an unattended install, added hotfixes, wmp9, dx9, mm2, .net framework + sp2, and msjava

i didn't even have time to remove anything like inf, dllcache, etc. after doing all updates, i had to switch to other xp install, and i checked how big the unattended install is.

(this IS windows xp, even though it's in \winnt, unattended install didn't ask for drive, only folder... :s ??)

post-11-1047437003.jpg

I guess most people on neowin preferr ntfs over fat32

XP is much more stable using NTFS. It's not really made for FAT32, and it's not recommended that you install it under that file system :)

Here are my Windows folder:

Windows XP Professional

Wow, crap, you are almost under 400mb :p

What have you deleted that isnt posted in this thread?

ha i've beat almost all of you! :-S i'm not sure if thats good! ;)

mine's 1.95GB...with no iis or any unneeded crap...*wonders whats eating it*

ha i've beat almost all of you! :-S i'm not sure if thats good! ;)

mine's 1.95GB...with no iis or any unneeded crap...*wonders whats eating it*

That is 4 times bigger then it should be :p

Smaller is MUCH better ;)

4 times!? OMG...hm...i'm not sure really whats eating it. i need that sequoia view program...

Delete the servicepackfiles folder, the dllcache files, and the drive cache folder, then the help folder ;)

Shen posted a nice list of most of the things you can remove ;)

ok i did that and i got it down to 1.5GB but my worries of size are supposedly because of my assembly files and all the stuff that i need for vs.net.

How 2 reduce the windows folder size???

Delete folder and files you dont need :p

Shen posted about 18 things you can remove that will free up a lot of space :p

I still want to know how solaris got his to 400mb :p

Hi everyone.

I do have a tip on how to reduce the folder size, actually reduce the space used on the whole drive.

right click on it, compress it.

then using the search feature, search for *.exe and uncompress then.

That is , you compress the harddrive, everything, then un-compress the exe files, why you ask ?

Because if you uncompress the exe files you wont have to wait for the uncompression to take place when u lauch the application.

everything else, is compressed, resulting is less space used, and still keep the same speed.

Ive used this tip for a long time, and it works great.

The idea came from some tweaking guide thing i read on some website, which i cant remember the name.

I also remember that were some other files that you had to uncompress in order to make things run smooth, but the exes are the most important.

Good weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone.

I do have a tip on how to reduce the folder size, actually reduce the space used on the whole drive.

right click on it, compress it.

then using the search feature, search for *.exe and uncompress then.

That is , you compress the harddrive, everything, then un-compress the exe files, why you ask ?

Because if you uncompress the exe files you wont have to wait for the uncompression to take place when u lauch the application.

everything else, is compressed, resulting is less space used, and still keep the same speed.

Ive used this tip for a long time, and it works great.

The idea came from some tweaking guide thing i read on some website, which i cant remember the name.

I also remember that were some other files that you had to uncompress in order to make things run smooth, but the exes are the most important.

Good weekend.

Why not search for all files but exe/dll files so you dont compress/decompress a bunch of stuff to fragment your hard drive?