XP SP3 Final RTM - Direct Download!

not quite so... my W2k3 32bit show the 4Gb ram, its the only 32 bit Windows that does that.

I'll invite you to read that again.

is the sp3 for xp?

Nope, for Office 2003. Can't you see the word Office in the thread title?

I tried installing it on my Virtual Machine and I got an internal error. Should I be concerned? I'm reluctant to try it on my install. Which was the same machine running the virtual one.

Nope, for Office 2003. Can't you see the word Office in the thread title?

HA! :laugh:

Unfortunately my other thread pertaining to the link below was locked, so I'm reposting it here for everyone. For those that still want to download the latest version of SP3, but don't want to use a torrent to do so here's something I found.

Now I'm not sure if this is the SP3 version everyone has been waiting for, but according to the article on the page below. Their direct download link to MS is working. I haven't downloaded it to verify that it is in fact the "XP.SERVICE.PACK.3.v5.1.2600.5512.RTM" so please don't be mad at me if it isn't, and please don't get upset if this was already posted about in this thread.

Here's a link to the page:

removed

Here's the direct link posted on thier page:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...e2300ebfde4.exe

If someone does use this DL link and it is in fact the "XP.SERVICE.PACK.3.v5.1.2600.5512.RTM". Could you please let eveyone else know.

Edited by Joel

Unfortunately my other thread pertaining to the link below was locked, so I'm reposting it here for everyone. For those that still want to download the latest version of SP3, but don't want to use a torrent to do so here's something I found.

You still don't understand the fact that we've posted DIRECT links to MS for the SP3. Why does your post about it need to be the one that makes them download it? You just want people to visit your first link for the traffic, don't you?

Well then that means it is the "build 5512" version. Thanks for pointing that out.

You still don't understand the fact that we've posted DIRECT links to MS for the SP3. Why does your post about it need to be the one that makes them download it? You just want people to visit your first link for the traffic, don't you?

Yes I agree that it was a simple misunderstanding on my part that there was already a direct MS download link posted as I hadn't seen the other link that was posted when I posted mine, and no I didn't want or need any traffic for the link. So no harm, no foul.

Edited by KillSwitch_J

thanks, oqwarrior. The folks at Neowin who write news articles on their Main News page should publish an article that Windows XP SP3 RTW is now available at both Windows Update and at the Microsoft Download Center. The Bink.nu site and the MSFN.org site have already written news articles saying Windows XP SP3 is available at the MS Download Center and at Windows Update.

God damn can't they just have "Windows XP SP3 Download Final".

I googled, searched MS website, Neowin frontpage, finally I find a link to a normal SP3 download, and it's called "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers". Real user friendly thinking at Microsoft. Asshats.

Just download that pack, it just contains ALL the updates where as the pack from Windows Update only contains the updates you need.

God damn can't they just have "Windows XP SP3 Download Final".

I googled, searched MS website, Neowin frontpage, finally I find a link to a normal SP3 download, and it's called "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers". Real user friendly thinking at Microsoft. Asshats.

Ok. I hope you do realize that Microsoft isn't really doing anything different from before. Just so you know, Microsoft did the same thing for Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP4, Windows 2000 SP3, and Windows 2000 SP2. The download for Windows 2000 SP1 doesn't call it a "Network Install" in the heading, but it still has the word "network" in the file name of the file.

In other words, maybe Microsoft isn't the one really at fault here. You see, there is no reason to call it "Windows XP SP3 Download Final" as you suggest. First of all, 99.9% of Windows XP users at home will have no idea that there even were any other builds ever available, as they would never come anywhere close to the betas or RC's, so all updates for Windows XP to home users are final. Also, most people who will be installing SP3 will be doing it through Windows Update/Microsoft Update/Automatic Updates, and all of those use the Express Install to install SP3. That is why this large 316 MB file is called the "Network Install". That's exactly what it is made for?deploying a Service Pack easily and painlessly across a NETWORK of computers, most commonly in a business environment. In that kind of environment, it is most likely that the IT staff would be handling this deployment, not say an accounting department, nor somebody from human resources, nor the CEO.

Therefore, the name "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers" isn't all that inappropriate now, is it:p:p

little confusion

i was inititally under the impression that sp3 wouldnt be released for tablet xp or media centre 2005 but sp3 is showing as an update for both systems in windows update. Is it safe to go ahead and update these systems ?

Why not?

Media Center and Tablet are merely XP Pro with added features, so it'll work fine.

It probably just means no Media Centre or Tablet-specific updates.