[OSx86] I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

Because it will become crap just like Windows!!??!!?!

A lot of people are Apple stockholders. Just selling OS X hurts business. Imagine all the complaint calls, returns, the floods at Apple Stores. This is not whether or not we are a cult, this is business. Apple's reputation can't be hurt by 13 year old obese kids and teenagers who think that MySpace and their cell phone is their life who are tottaly clueless about computers. This whole OSX86 project causes nothing but confusion.

Right..because EVERYONE who has a mac is now an apple stockholder yeh? I bet something like 10% of them are.

It's become a cult, and its time people got over it. I like how you generalized the entire OSX86 scene. I will now generalize the Mac scene, a bunch of idiots who were never taught to think by themselves? I'm sure you would like that.

And please find me an example of a 13 year old [or say anyone] who installed osx86 and then complained about the quality of mac osx. Can you find one? No. As I said, the majority of people who install osx86 know that it might have problems. And they are willing to deal with it, to ask for support on forums, and not go around and bitch about the OS.

Why are there viruses on Windows?

Your comment is laughable. You think Mac doesn't have viruses? You think linux doesn't have viruses? Microsoft has to deal with a lot of idiots who will install every activex, open every file etc. Apple and Linux vendors for the most part DON'T.

I know a lot of people, hell there are tons on this board itself, who have gone without malware on their computers for years now. All it takes is common sense.

What I don't understand is this "it should only run on Mac hardware" whining. Have you opened up your Mac hardware? What's so Mac about it? Is it the cool glowing Apple on the lid? Because inside is a bunch of other names like pretty much any other PC. Would you be OK if you installed OSX on an Asus laptop? if Asus is the OEM and Apple just puts the logo on it, then why not if you're so concerned about the actual hardware? What you have to understand is that it's still a box with a bunch of different parts in it. It doesn't become something else because it's stamped with an Apple. It's not built in a hollow tree by miniature Job clones.

It's also funny about the EULA. It was found to be illegal. Why? Because Ford can't tell you you can only drive their cars on odd numbered streets. Or because Sony can't tell you that Sony movies can only be watched on a Sony DVD player. Wouldn't that **** you off?

because a huge amount more people use windows, so it's the sensible choice if you're going to write a virus

Exactly! You can't tell me that OS X can stand a chance if everyone started installing it on their computers. Vista is more secure than OS X, for God's sake!

Edited by Cormier6083

I think OSX86 like it or not to the people in reality benefit Apple to new switchers, because I used before this OS in my pc and that's why I bought my mac, if I did not try on my pc and will probably buy in a later time. But the truth is OSX86 benefit al lot to Apple and make the people to convert himself to Macintosh most quickly than anything else.

Right..because EVERYONE who has a mac is now an apple stockholder yeh?

You are taking that out of context.

It's become a cult, and its time people got over it. I like how you generalized the entire OSX86 scene. I will now generalize the Mac scene, a bunch of idiots who were never taught to think by themselves? I'm sure you would like that.

You are entitled to you opinions, as am I. :p

And please find me an example of a 13 year old [or say anyone] who installed osx86 and then complained about the quality of mac osx. Can you find one? No. As I said, the majority of people who install osx86 know that it might have problems. And they are willing to deal with it, to ask for support on forums, and not go around and bitch about the OS.

You obviously just stepped into the internet, because I can find websites chock full of complaints.

Your comment is laughable. You think Mac doesn't have viruses? You think linux doesn't have viruses? Microsoft has to deal with a lot of idiots who will install every activex, open every file etc. Apple and Linux vendors for the most part DON'T.

I was trying to make a point, so your comment was invalid. Also, I wasn't making a comment, I asked a question. ;)

Exactly! You can't tell me that OS X can stand a chance if everyone started installing it on their computers. Vista is more secure that OS X, for God's sake!

A lot of people who use OSX86 know what they are doing. They aren't the people who would do everything possible to get spyware.

I like your anti-vista comment btw. Sadly, Vista is probably more secure than OSX. Even with a larger OS base.

2008   WinXP	W2000	Win98	 Vista	  W2003	Linux	  Mac 
April	 73.3%	 3.3%	   0.5%	  8.8%	  1.9%	   3.7%	4.6%

Another statistical proof: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.asp...e=Q&qpsp=36

You obviously just stepped into the internet, because I can find websites chock full of complaints.

Chock full of complaints of Mac OSX or of OSX86 not installing/causing problems? There is a HUGE difference.

Considering the entire topic behind that post was due to market share. You were implying that vista has a lower market share than mac. And hence it is more secure because it has a lower market share. Ie you're also implying that vista sucks compared to windows xp and mac because "nobody" wanted to install it.

I can see a lot of praise for vista in that.

<comments removed - Triliaeris> Where did I imply that Vista has lower market share? Where oh where did my little dog go! The post asked Why does Windows have Viruses, and I said because it has a wider install base. Completely opposite than what you said. Look, I know you are in a rut, but don't make up things to prove a point. Accept that you have no answer.

I've had enough, and I have a class to go to soon, so I should prepare myself. This is giving me bad energy. :D

Typed on a Real Mac

OMG, are you lunatic? Why are you making up the dumbest stuff? Where did I imply that Vista has lower market share? Where oh where did my little dog go! Look, I know you are in a rut, but don't make up things to prove a point. Accept that you have no answer.

I've had enough, and I have a class to go to soon, so I should prepare myself. This is giving me bad energy. :D

Oh so in a post talking about windows and mac market share in relation to viruses, and how macs get affected by less viruses. But if everyone moved to mac, it would get tons of viruses etc etc . Suddenly out of nowhere came praise for Vista.

I find that hard to believe, especially coming from a guy who seems to claim that mac os x installs on non-apple hardware is morally wrong and his poor god steve jobs will somehow lose money. And then goes on to generalize windows and osx86 users as being obese 13 year old kids who will destroy apples reputation.

OMG, are you lunatic? Why are you making up the dumbest stuff? Where did I imply that Vista has lower market share? Where oh where did my little dog go! Look, I know you are in a rut, but don't make up things to prove a point. Accept that you have no answer.

I think he made a good argument. That's how I read it too.

Unluck

I'm personally a mac user (both software and hardware) and to be honest, I couldn't give two hoots about how people use OSX.

Whilst Apple aren't getting the sale of the hardware if somebody buys a copy of OSX to use on a PC, they still get the money from the sale of the software - considering most people who use OSX86 wouldn't buy a Mac, Apple are technically ?80 (or whatever OSX costs) up.

It's just an OS, why the heck are we arguing which OS is better? Just too nerdy! Use what ever OS you want, and don't flame others for not using your OS. If you don't like VIsta, then don't install Vista, Mac OSX then don't buy mac. It's hilarious to read your arguments over OPERATING SYSTEMS. You'r just using an operating system to do a few hours of work, which ALL OSes CAN DO unless you need specific programs or games, then choose the appropriate OS then. Overall it doesn't really matter which OS you choose. Your stupidity to download "Britney Spear Sex Tape" or a 28k "FULL GTA IV for PC" is what comes down to for your overall OS experience. All OSes have their ups and downs, so choose whichever fits your needs, and STOP THIS BS about which OS is better!

By the way Windows 7>Vista>XP>Linux>98>95>MS DOS>OS 8-9>Tiger>Leopard.

No bias here...

It's just an OS, why the heck are we arguing which OS is better? Just too nerdy! Use what ever OS you want, and don't flame others for not using your OS. If you don't like VIsta, then don't install Vista, Mac OSX then don't buy mac. It's hilarious to read your arguments over OPERATING SYSTEMS. You'r just using an operating system to do a few hours of work, which ALL OSes CAN DO unless you need specific programs or games, then choose the appropriate OS then. Overall it doesn't really matter which OS you choose. Your stupidity to download "Britney Spear Sex Tape" or a 28k "FULL GTA IV for PC" is what comes down to for your overall OS experience. All OSes have their ups and downs, so choose whichever fits your needs, and STOP THIS BS about which OS is better.

(Y) Very good post.

I can't speak on Linux, but there are no viruses for OS X. Microsoft came up with the ActiveX runtime, so in some respect they made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

Exactly! You can't tell me that OS X can stand a chance if everyone started installing it on their computers. Vista is more secure than OS X, for God's sake!

Tired old argument that still doesn't hold water. Years go when OS9 was the current operating system, Apple had a SMALLER market-share/install-base than they have now, yet there were many viruses in the wild that infected OS9. There are none for OS X and I really don't expect that to change much, even with a greater market-share. I have no doubt that eventually we'll see viruses infecting OS X, but nowhere near the amount infecting Windows.

How can you claim Vista is more secure than OS X? There is absolutely nothing that backs your opinion up. I don't necessarily think OS X is more secure than Vista as it all comes down to the user. It is much more time consuming to secure up Windows and defend against malware than it is OS X, but the proper steps keep both safe.

*edit* removed as some research i did found out i was wrong /sorry

Edited by Hell-In-A-Handbasket

I can't speak on Linux, but there are no viruses for OS X.

Yes there are, but not as much as windows and a tard can figure out the reason of that.

Yes there are, but not as much as windows and a tard can figure out the reason of that.

Then show me. There have been proof-of-concept malware for OS X, but no viruses in the wild.

Then show me. There have been proof-of-concept malware for OS X, but no viruses in the wild.

Actually, Apple's Labs do have several operable viruses for Mac OS, that being said the process required to install the virus is extreme and most users wouldn't reach that point as it involves authenticating as an Administrator via Password twice prior to Virus Activation.

1 a year ?

also from the Leap A page

"What's important to realise is that this Trojan doesn't exploit a vulnerability in OS X, Leopard, Tiger, or any Apple code. This Trojan exploits the vulnerability within the person sitting in front of the keyboard. It's the Mac user who is giving permission for the code to run and allowing their computer to be infected,"

and from the sound of Glida-B its just a web based pop-up, reads like it doesn't even install anything

also from the Leap A page

"What's important to realise is that this Trojan doesn't exploit a vulnerability in OS X, Leopard, Tiger, or any Apple code. This Trojan exploits the vulnerability within the person sitting in front of the keyboard. It's the Mac user who is giving permission for the code to run and allowing their computer to be infected,"

As if it's much different for Windows or any other OS.. ever heard of people not using AV's and staying clean? I did, and I think that it all depends on the user, 99% of the time at least. ( Don't tell me 1 virus a year, it's OS X not Windows! )

Actually, Apple's Labs do have several operable viruses for Mac OS, that being said the process required to install the virus is extreme and most users wouldn't reach that point as it involves authenticating as an Administrator via Password twice prior to Virus Activation.

I imagine with Vista UAC it'd be the same. The flaw, in my opinion, is the users who will do everything to see Britney nude, even allow the UAC prompt.

The users that get targeted are the ones who think iPod=mp3 player (Archos what now?) and Computer is Windows.. Mac doesn't exist etc.

I've found people who go from the Computer is Windows trend seem to know basic security practices, well enough to not want the Britney picture atleast...

actually it is, exploiting a vulnerability of the OS is alot different then exploiting a vulnerability in the user

As if it's much different for Windows or any other OS.. ever heard of people not using AV's and staying clean? I did, and I think that it all depends on the user, 99% of the time at least. ( Don't tell me 1 virus a year, it's OS X not Windows! )

if they dont use AV how do they know they are clean ? and because general email will open email as html /attachments by default a user would have to either " Not go online " or specifically configure both IE/FF/Email

*Edit* there is a thread already dedicated to the OSX/Windows Viri already, and it has been debated multiple times in there with proof comparing OSX/Windows Security comparisons.

My Main Argument is that Apple is a Computer/hardware vendor, not a OS/Software. Majority of the Income is from Hardware Sales ( Mac/iPod/iPhone ) not OSX/Keynote/iLife/etc

by installing/running OSX on non apple hardware, Apple looses money.

Same reason why people should not pirate Windows/Office, majority of MS's income is from those 2 things, but they are a Software company, where apple is not.

My opinion on Apple Hardware vs. software is the based that they sell OSx for what $99 bucks, and give copies of iLife/ect away with each new mac. when was the last time MS gave free copies of Office ( not the trials ) with windows.

heck you buy a new computer Windows is an additional charge, if you deny the EULA alot of vendors will credit you 50-200 bucks for not taking windows if that is their only option ( example dell offers Linux still i think )

Edited by Hell-In-A-Handbasket

I mentionned this in Cara's blog but its worth repeating. I just bought a refurb HP dual-proc Xeon 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB ECC RAM, UltraSCSI 320 80 GB HDD, and Nvidia 5600 XT 256 MB card for $299. This was certainly a fluke purchase, but ....

While this won't run a Hackintosh, it goes to show the PC market is inundated with quality refurb systems for considerably less than an entry level Mac mini or iMac. Granted, there's different reasons for buying a Mac, but as a former user, I didn't see the hardware costs justifying another upgrade. Yeah, I'm on Winblows right now (and I do miss OS X), but I have all the apps I want/need (I do miss TextMate the most).

Ok, for one that's a trojan, not a virus. Two, this is a social engineering issue and has nothing to do with any security flaw in OS X.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102379

http://guides.macrumors.com/OSX/Leap-A

Based upon your statement, those are trojans, not viruses.

Edited by Chad