Anyone Else Think Windows 7 Is Going To Suck?

Even as a mac fan dude boy, I am afraid of Windows 7. I can't believe MS would be so stupid to do their mistakes twice. They did learn a lot with Vista... yeah, even at the 6th version, they learned a lot.

But what the hell, if Apple has some real competition this time, I will be happy. It's time for them to make the best they can, but they have to take the pressure easily, or else...

I don't mean, to be mean.

But what's this: "But what the hell, if Apple has some real competition this time, I will be happy."

I was sure that 90% of the world's desktops run Windows and of that about 15% are Vista PC's.

:geek:

I don't think it'll suck. But I do think however alot of ppl that "hate" vista and are waiting for Windows 7 could be very disappointed.

I don't think it'll suck. But I do think however alot of ppl that "hate" vista and are waiting for Windows 7 could be very disappointed.

Why do you think so? I'm curious.

Why do you think so? I'm curious.

Certain people seem to be expecting HUGE things from Win 7 and while I think it'll be a good evolutionary system based on what I know so far I think it will be exactly that, an evolution of what Vista is now but in the end if ppl hate vista they are possibly going to hate its successor. MS isn't going to reinvent the wheel in three years although some people seem to be expecting that.

edit: this post was much longer but i think this paragraph above summarizes it a lot better. Note in the original post I did say "hate", those that have one or two issues wouldnt fall in this category I feel but more those that outright despise the OS yet for whatever reason have alot of faith in Win 7 being the OS for them.

Certain people seem to be expecting HUGE things from Win 7 and while I think it'll be a good evolutionary system based on what I know so far I think it will be exactly that, an evolution of what Vista is now but in the end if ppl hate vista they are possibly going to hate its successor. MS isn't going to reinvent the wheel in three years although some people seem to be expecting that.

edit: this post was much longer but i think this paragraph above summarizes it a lot better. Note in the original post I did say "hate", those that have one or two issues wouldnt fall in this category I feel but more those that outright despise the OS yet for whatever reason have alot of faith in Win 7 being the OS for them.

Sure. I understand what you're saying.

But Microsoft is still insisting that Windows 7 is a major release. This tends to raise expectations. It did for me.

yeah I'm sure it'll be great and I'll go for it being a windows user. Thing is they are also being quite hush hush too so no one really knows how big or small a release it will be yet. I'm sure they will manage to do alot but given alot of the background word was accomplished in Vista and that took about 3 years also if you account for the refresh time when they swapped to a Win Server based build. It will be a major release, but so was vista and really that was an evolutionary system too. In fact all OS progression is really but I think some ppl are expecting more than that.

just fix the god damn bugs in vista then ill be happy, not this random bull**** frozen screen when it cant handle it, you should be able to get out of that program when you request it in task manager etc.

It simply amazes me that so much negativity is already brewing over windows 7 when its still in ALPHA.... geez guys, get real.... any changes that have been made are probably not even VISIBLE yet.... so anything you've seen from screenies are just scratching the surface of the underlying changes being made....... not to mention that the UI is usually inserted into semi-public/public builds at the END of the beta process (which hasn't even started yet)

I think Windows 7 is going to suck in some parts. I mean I looks too much like Windows Vista in my opinion (I mean the interface). For now I think it looks only like an upgrade of Windows Vista. Anyway... I hope it will be a lot more faster than Windows Vista is... :)

any changes that have been made are probably not even VISIBLE yet.... so anything you've seen from screenies are just scratching the surface of the underlying changes being made.

That's a good point but there are videos of windows 7 available too ;)

...It's unlikely that a touchscreen will be required to use Windows 7; just a nice bonus.

Really? Well I am dying to see how they are going to make that feature work without a touch-screen. I don't see how.

just fix the god damn bugs in vista then ill be happy, not this random bull**** frozen screen when it cant handle it, you should be able to get out of that program when you request it in task manager etc.

I agree. That is one of the things that annoy me from Vista. On XP if you close a program on Task Manager, it closes. Plain and simple. Vista thinks about it.

Really? Well I am dying to see how they are going to make that feature work without a touch-screen. I don't see how.

I'm not sure what "that" feature refers to since the original poster didnt mention any feature specifically but assuming its the demo video for multi touch, nothing in that video could not be very easily dont with a mouse. The image rearangement, scaling ect really looks sort of similar to what one would do in say MS word with the handles being a UI element to assist that. Most of the other demoed features were just using a single touch.

There will be actions that can't be performed intuitively with a mouse of course, but image resizing isn't one of them IMHO. And no, a touch screen won't be necessary. The OS is said to be arriving the end of next year (although I think early to mid 2010 is more likely). Theres no market for touch screens and while they will support them removing any ability for existing customers to upgrade would cost MS millions and of all the accessories people update with a machine I hazard to guess monitors is one of the less frequently replaced items on most desks.

Multitouch will probably be more popular and may even boost sales of tablet PC's before it find's its way into homes in any big way IMHO. It may just be that killer app that MS has so far been unable to deliver to sell tablets to the mass market rather than a small subset of laptop users.

I feel like bringing up a fun SAT analogy game...

Anyone care to guess the answer?

Windows ME : Windows Vista

Windows XP : Windows ____

Catch my drift?

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

I'll actually agree with this analogy here. It's no secret that Windows Vista won't get the widespread adoption that Windows XP had, but I do believe that Windows 7 will. This analogy definitely makes sense. I really think that Windows 7 will be the best Windows ever. :)

i wonder when m$ will make a modular install for windows (like let user chose what to install and for those that don't know a checkbox) ... can't be that hard

If you don't have a WDDM driver you don't get Aero in Vista

If you don't have a tablet the tablet PC components are pretty useless

If you don't have a DVD burner AND a WDDM driver you can't use DVD Maker (sheesh, two requirements!?)

If you don't have a TPM module or a USB key you can't use bitlocker

If you don't have a microphone you can't use sound recorder

If you don't have a network card you can't use the networking components

That's all in Vista but they must be worthless additions because you need additional hardware to use them.

If you don't have a multi-touch capable touchscreen the multi-touch features will be disabled. It's that simple. What they showed in the video were demo applications, not something necessarily shipping with 7.

I mean I looks too much like Windows Vista in my opinion (I mean the interface).

That's quite a statement for someone who doesn't even know what it looks like.

I hate the fact that I will have to go out and buy a touch screen and I can only imagine the monster of a computer it would take to run it.

add another ill informed, jumping the gun Ms basher to the list

I don't think it will "Suck". From Vista, it can only get better. Vista really isn't terrible but it makes you appreciate XP a little more. I think Windows 7 should be amazing hopefully. I hope Apple opens there software to different hardware though. :p

No I don't think Windows 7 is going to suck, what I do think is that those who find it's cool to hate Microsoft suck, oh boy do they suck! Could suck a golf ball through a garden hose they could :hmmm:

I agree. That is one of the things that annoy me from Vista. On XP if you close a program on Task Manager, it closes. Plain and simple. Vista thinks about it.

Well you obviously will need a touchscreen to use the touchscreen-specific features... But windows 7 will not require a touchscreen, that s a ridiculous assumption.

I will pass judgment when the OS is released as usual. :)

But I think it will be just fine assuming you are using the recommended hardware.

Why doesn't Microsoft take it one small innovation at a time and try not to make operating systems with the same requirements as a Crysis, Far Cry 2, and Gears of War Hell spawn.

Yeah why can't Windows be tailored specifically to the gaming market? Who cares about the business or education market, the only thing that matters is that the system requirements for the next generation of Windows is the same as today's games. :rolleyes:

Let's start the negativity on Windows 7 now before more information becomes available!!!

how about microsoft takes apples avantages and actully see what the world wants or needs, rather then ply copy cat and create products like the zune whitch suck because its own software doesnt work with it let alone brown ... touch screen and other crap like that

stop being immature microsoft

I think Windows 7 is going to suck in some parts. I mean I looks too much like Windows Vista in my opinion (I mean the interface). For now I think it looks only like an upgrade of Windows Vista. Anyway... I hope it will be a lot more faster than Windows Vista is... :)

That's because they don't change the UI until the end.

I don't see why everyone complains about vista needing a good computer to run on...why would microsoft make a new operating system to run on old hardware?

But then again I have quite a good computer, so I wouldn't really know...

I do know that the only crashes I've had with it have been because of a very questionable driver I installed...Other than that, it runs fine

The only thing I find annoying is if im trying to change network settings I end up with about a million windows open

I'm moving off the topic title here a bit...

windows 7 wooo...

how about microsoft takes apples avantages and actully see what the world wants or needs

that made very little sense, but... if it doesn't make what the world wants and needs...why do 90% of computers use windows?