Anyone Else Think Windows 7 Is Going To Suck?

If Windows 7 uses less resources and fixes most of Vista's problems with some new added features... then it will be the best version of Windows ever! Otherwise it will suck.

If Windows 7 uses less resources and fixes most of Vista's problems with some new added features... then it will be the best version of Windows ever! Otherwise it will suck.

The chances of lower resource usage: ZERO.

Resource usage doesn't necessarily matter, it's all in HOW they are used. Vista uses more RAM than XP, but it's also much smarter about it and in systems with enough RAM it's better than the XP method.

Vista uses more RAM than XP, but it's also much smarter about it and in systems with enough RAM it's better than the XP method.

Personally, I don't find a built in auto running indexer that reactivates itself on updates to be "smarter".

LOL, well, I remember in one of neowin's reports that it was to use less then vista in it's resources and yet do more. So hopefully they are learning something. Vista isn't that bad an OS, it is just they screwed up so bad with the PR campaign that people think it sucks. With a bit of work, it can be made into a great OS.

Edited by MaJoR

Personally, I don't find a built in auto running indexer that reactivates itself on updates to be "smarter".

Uhh, how else would it work?

Problems with Vista:

Slow on older hardware - Expected Windows 7 solution, have heavily cut down versions of Windows 7

UAC - Expected Windows 7 solution, improve interface and other developers will be coding with it in mind anyway

Driver support - Expected Windows 7 solution, get the beta's out there and hope hw suppliers write for it earlier and better than vista

Remaining problems:

Are there any?

Problems with Vista:

Slow on older hardware - Expected Windows 7 solution, have heavily cut down versions of Windows 7

UAC - Expected Windows 7 solution, improve interface and other developers will be coding with it in mind anyway

Driver support - Expected Windows 7 solution, get the beta's out there and hope hw suppliers write for it earlier and better than vista

Remaining problems:

Are there any?

exactly, all the problems you give are things that have made people think twice about using vista but they are all things that microsoft can't really do much about. it's up to everyone else to fix them.

drivers for 7 will be pretty much the same as they are for vista so that won't be much of an issue and the hardware being sold will be good enough by the time 7 comes out.

LOL, well, I remember in one of neowin's reports that it was to use less then vista in it's resources and yet do more. So hopefully they are learning something. Vista isn't that bad an OS, it is just they screwed up so bad with the PR campaign that people think it sucks. With a bit of work, it can be made into a great OS.

"LOL, well, I remember in one of neowin's reports that it was to use less then vista in it's resources and yet do more."

What?

"Personally, I don't find a built in auto running indexer that reactivates itself on updates to be "smarter"."

Why? It IS smarter, I can easily spend ten minutes searchign for a file in xp and it is instant in vista, the indexer is a GREAT feature. It indexes files almost as soon as they are added and really doesn't use NEARLY as much resources as people say.

Since Vista is pretty much the best (the sum of all pluses and negatives) operation system I ever used (and yes I have experience with osx and linux)... I don't believe windows 7 will suck at all.

Only reason Vista got as much heat as it did was because not-so smart, average users misinterpreted what their tech saavy friends told them during Vista's development stages and they all seemed to become "experts" around 2006/2007. It's funny how these ppl who don't know a damn thing about computers became gurus on Windows at Vista's release and soon after. The average user cannot turn on a computer but they're opinions on an OS hold water, go figure lol.

anyone else thinks the fanboys and childish people are slowly taking over the world as we know it?

Yep, and this place is a concentrated example of the world at large, only with a lot more geeks and dorks. Great, ain't it?

Well, you cant say if Windows 7 is going to suck.

But we dont need Vista. Why would i want to use an OS that is slower(look up any comparison benchmark), uses more resources(for instance i have less ram free for virtual machines, which i use often), and where i have to search first to find a feature? Well, only one reason left, the (useless) eyecandy. But if i really want the Vista theme, i could just use Windowblinds, or any of the thousands of .msstyles avialable.

No, XP with SP3 runs better than ever. I would choose speed and functionality over eyecandy any day :) But if Vista runs great for you, great :) Its just not for me. And yes, i have used Vista, i've had it installed for 3 months.

If Windows Seven is at least as fast as XP, and is using resources better, i might use it. If not, i'll stick to XP.

Edited by Srsly

Exactly, I think we should all revert back to Windows 98 for awesome performance. After all, it isn't a resource hog on todays computers is it now!?!

I use Vista HP now, I like it, not as much as XP Professional SP2.

M$ should just release XP second edition, with rewritten code to fix serious problems and add enhanced features and new features.

Not so hard.

I would cough up ?100 for that.

Instead I coughed up ?65 for a non finished ops.

Well, you cant say if Windows 7 is going to suck.

But we dont need Vista. Why would i want to use an OS that is slower(look up any comparison benchmark), uses more resources(for instance i have less ram free for virtual machines, which i use often), and where i have to search first to find a feature? Well, only one reason left, the (useless) eyecandy. But if i really want the Vista theme, i could just use Windowblinds, or any of the thousands of .msstyles avialable.

No, XP with SP3 runs better than ever. I would choose speed and functionality over eyecandy any day :) But if Vista runs great for you, great :) Its just not for me. And yes, i have used Vista, i've had it installed for 3 months.

If Windows Seven is at least as fast as XP, and is using resources better, i might use it. If not, i'll stick to XP.

Actually recent benchmarks show the performance is largely exactly the same at least for gaming with matured drivers.

SO more accurately look up any old comparison benchmarks.

Edited by ViperAFK

Actually recent benchamrs show the performance is largely excatly the same at least for gaming with matured drivers.

SO more accurately look up any old comparison benchmarks.

Really? I didn't know that I might have to try it out later on with some games on steam.

Since Vista is pretty much the best (the sum of all pluses and negatives) operation system I ever used (and yes I have experience with osx and linux)... I don't believe windows 7 will suck at all.
I have a different viewpoint than you. I prefer Linux over Vista (don't have enough OSX time to have a valid opinion). Linux is best for me. However, I don't think that Vista "sucks", and I see no reason that 7 will "suck", either. They seem to be decent OSes, but they just don't suit me.

I think most of the "sucks" comments on Vista or 7 are coming from people that strongly prefer XP and don't like feeling pushed out of XP and into an upgrade path by the upcoming end of life announcements for XP.

I have a different viewpoint than you. I prefer Linux over Vista (don't have enough OSX time to have a valid opinion). Linux is best for me. However, I don't think that Vista "sucks", and I see no reason that 7 will "suck", either. They seem to be decent OSes, but they just don't suit me.

I think most of the "sucks" comments on Vista or 7 are coming from people that strongly prefer XP and don't like feeling pushed out of XP and into an upgrade path by the upcoming end of life announcements for XP.

I agree and thats a fair a valid statement Mark. I have used Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows 3.0 to Vista. I think that a fair a valid conclusion can only be reached until the product ships Gold. Even then there will be people who will find that their evangelism will fall upon deaf ears by just stating "This sucks or this OS rules" Not one OS will be the holy grail for everyone and having competition is the best way for all users to gain benefits rergardless of platform

I think Windows 7 will be more inviting than how Vista was received.

It will have a more graceful approach to the masses that's what I think @ the moment for 7.

M$ should just release XP second edition, with rewritten code to fix serious problems and add enhanced features and new features.

Not so hard.

I would cough up ?100 for that.

What do you think SP2 was? It did all this, except it was free.