Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

Cara, you are opposed to a *beige-box* OS X (Snow Leopard in particular) *why*?

Does it have to do with one thing Apple is insisting on - control of the hardware platform?

Or are there other reasons? (I'm not asking about Apple's opinion, or that of the company you woirk for, but your own.)

Cara has been absent from here for months, I doubt she will answer.

Luckily, booting into 64bit doesn't break anything for me :)

Yeah, seems that only the software that needs direct access to the hardware is affected.

That makes me think Photoshop could be affected as well since it uses the video card directly.

Yeah, seems that only the software that needs direct access to the hardware is affected.

That makes me think Photoshop could be affected as well since it uses the video card directly.

So does Pixelmator 1.4.1 and it works just fine in SL on 64bit kernel, and it hasn't been updated for ages

^ Least that's not just me either. I tried it last night and couldn't get it to work over USB or Bluetooth.

Where's my 10.6.1. or 10.6.0.1 :)

Just to be clear: I meant that only over 10.6 on the 64-bit kernel (using an iMac, in case that matters).

I'm posting this tethered through my iPhone (not jail broken/unlocked) via bluetooth on a macbook (32-bit kernel)

So does Pixelmator 1.4.1 and it works just fine in SL on 64bit kernel, and it hasn't been updated for ages

Pixelmator goes through the standard cocoa channels (core image, quartz, etc) to get it's hardware accelerated wizardry. Photoshop goes for a more…labour intensive approach, so it's possible that things break.

I've got a question about the base 10 Vs. Base 2, does that include data transfer rates? moving files from one place to another? Internet Download Speeds?

According to the team, it doesn't work like they want to. But yeah, maybe 99.5% of Pixelmator works.

Pixelmator 1.5 will be there in like a week or 2 and will fully support Snow Leopard and will support dozens of new major features for those who work with web images a lo:):)

MacFuse (which is required by NTFS-3G - allows NTFS read/write) is broken in 64-bit mode, the NTFS formatted drives fail to mount. That and VMware Fushion is the only ones I have had problems with so far in 64-bit.

Have been using Photoshop CS4 in 64-bit for a while and no problems have came up yet. (Y)

Cara has been absent from here for months, I doubt she will answer.

Incidentally disappeared about the same time as hackintosh discussions were allowed here.

I've got a question about the base 10 Vs. Base 2, does that include data transfer rates? moving files from one place to another? Internet Download Speeds?

Transfer rates (throughput) have always been measure in base-10 units: it's part of the reason using powers of 2 for storage is so confusing. Nearly every other unit in computer science?and all disciplines outside of it?that uses SI prefixes will be using them in the base-10 sense.

Is there any way to stop the Play/Pause button being binded to iTunes?

It never did it in Leopard, but whenever I use the Play/Pause button on the keyboard (in Spotify, for example) it starts iTunes.

It never did it in Leopard, but whenever I use the Play/Pause button on the keyboard (in Spotify, for example) it starts iTunes.

It did that on my install of Leopard. Maybe you were just lucky :p

On a side note, this thing is *quick*. They weren't lying. Shut down is damn-near instant on mine.

WHY THE F*** DO I NEED TO INSTALL ROSETA TO INSTALL OFFICE 2008??? :angry:
I love the fact Microsoft openly declared that Microsoft Office 2008 is fully ready for Snow Leopard, yet they failed to mention this little detail.

No idea why the installer is still PPC-only.

I installed my student version of Office 2008 without rosetta, and I know its not installed becasue another program I use needs it and asks for me to install it. :huh:

If it is an actual "Student" version of the install package and not just a serial key package unlocked buy "student" keys then it is possible the installer for the two packages is different and the guy who compiled yours wasn't a nutter

If it is an actual "Student" version of the install package and not just a serial key package unlocked buy "student" keys then it is possible the installer for the two packages is different and the guy who compiled yours wasn't a nutter

In an ideal world, someone would have already made a new installer that searches the .dmg for the necessary files and installs them as needed. Oh well.

Does anyone know when Microsoft will release a beta of the next Office for Mac? I think its time for an update for SL.

With XML copyright crap going on isn't that gonna slow betas and releases down?

Does anyone know when Microsoft will release a beta of the next Office for Mac? I think its time for an update for SL.

Let alone that, we NEED a new msn

anyone here with a white macbook get 64 bit mode working? and if you did how well does it run?

It would NOT work on mine no matter what i did, and i really don't feel like installing the PC EFI/Hackintosh trick to see if that works

I never knew itunes could play more than one file at a time?

Importing, smartas;);)

Just to be clear: I meant that only over 10.6 on the 64-bit kernel (using an iMac, in case that matters).

I'm posting this tethered through my iPhone (not jail broken/unlocked) via bluetooth on a macbook (32-bit kernel)

Ah, that explains it. I'm on 64-bit kernel right now. Wonder if my Finder bug is related..

anyone here with a white macbook get 64 bit mode working? and if you did how well does it run?

Excuse my being a bit of a noob with it all, but in the activity monitor it says some programs are running in 64bit.

What is the difference? or is it just forcing all programs to run in 64bit mode?

That is probably the difference then.

Its the "Home and Student Edition" which probably explains why I have 3 keys on the side.

It was installed when I got the Macbook, so I only had to install it when I installed Snow Leopard.

Edited by Corris

I just noticed this! It's incredibly annoying.

Excuse my being a bit of a noob with it all, but in the activity monitor it says some programs are running in 64bit.

What is the difference? or is it just forcing all programs to run in 64bit mode?

we are talking about 64-bit KERNEL mode, by default SL's kernel runs in 32-bit yet it can run apps in 64-bit, however the kernel in 64-bit has the potential to run faster (however slightly) and can access more than 32gb of memory (considering there is not a Mac out there with anything higher that doesn't mean much) also the kernel being 64-bit also makes it more secure to tampering

we are talking about 64-bit KERNEL mode, by default SL's kernel runs in 32-bit yet it can run apps in 64-bit, however the kernel in 64-bit has the potential to run faster (however slightly) and can access more than 32gb of memory (considering there is not a Mac out there with anything higher that doesn't mean much) also the kernel being 64-bit also makes it more secure to tampering

Ah right, thanks:D:D