Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

Having read the issues a lot of you are having, if you could have your time again would you wait a little longer (perhaps for the first software update to become available) before buying and installing Snow Leopard?

Having read the issues a lot of you are having, if you could have your time again would you wait a little longer (perhaps for the first software update to become available) before buying and installing Snow Leopard?

No, I really like Snow Leopard, I just wish I was told it would be slow initially whie Spotlight re-indexed and the caches were re-built.

Would there be any issues upgrading from a White 2009 MacBook?

Well there shouldn't be. Snow Leopard supports quite a long list of Mac hardware.

Not at all, it's damn fast

Hmm, it seems I cant change any of the icons for the apple programs, the ones being listed as "64bit".

Would them being "64bit" be stopping me doing this? :blink:

Hmm, it seems I cant change any of the icons for the apple programs, the ones being listed as "64bit".

Would them being "64bit" be stopping me doing this? :blink:

Apple by default put the system on lockdown. Get Info and modify the security permissions for the app and then you can change the icon.

Apple by default put the system on lockdown. Get Info and modify the security permissions for the app and then you can change the icon.

Which would I have to modify?

It is currently:

system - read&write

wheel - read

everyone - read

And says I have "custom access".

I'm not even sure what "wheel" is. :blink:

Candybar 3.2 is SL ready, or you can go into the .app folder (right click on app select show package contents, open contents folder,open resources folder and change the Main <<APP NAME HERE>>.icns file for the correct display icon.

finder will ask you to enter your password (The best thing to do is delete the original after making a copy of it and then place the new icns file with the same name in its place)

Importing, smartass ;)

Nope it works fine for me, i just selected (In finder) 22 Robocop: The Series (TV Show) episodes i just converted from Divx - .avi to .mov files and right clicked open with iTunes (Which was already open) and it imported them all perfectly

post-24918-1251675199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phantom Helix

Which would I have to modify?

It is currently:

system - read&write

wheel - read

everyone - read

And says I have "custom access".

I'm not even sure what "wheel" is. :blink:

Change it to everyone and you'll be able to change the icons :)

Candybar 3.2 is SL ready, or you can go into the .app folder (right click on app select show package contents, open contents folder,open resources folder and change the Main <<APP NAME HERE>>.icns file for the correct display icon.

finder will ask you to enter your password (The best thing to do is delete the original after making a copy of it and then place the new icns file with the same name in its place)

Change it to everyone and you'll be able to change the icon:):)

Cheers guys, editing permissions worked for pasting icons in.

And I had a look at Candybar since it was mentioned, and it would change my icons, but only once I logged out and back in again.

Weird behaviour, but it'll do for now:D:D

Cheers guys, editing permissions worked for pasting icons in.

And I had a look at Candybar since it was mentioned, and it would change my icons, but only once I logged out and back in again.

Weird behaviour, but it'll do for now. :D

no thats standard behavior it needs to update icon cache so you are required logout

Many people have been whining about the change of how file sizes are calculated in Snow Leopard, including me, but for different reasons. They think that Apple have been paid by hard disk manufacturers to report sizes in the fake marketing way instead of the proper way . People think that they are being cheated by hard drive manufacturers because their 400GB hard drive holds 360GB of data. Snow Leopard will report the hard drive size as 400GB. Apple have been sued by stupid users who do not comprehend the difference between base-10 and base-2 mathematics. Now, users say that the change in Snow Leopard should not have occurred to appease hard drive manufacturers because computers are binary. I have even seen some to argue that Snow Leopard costs $29 instead of $129 because hard disk manufactures have paid Apple the difference.

The argument is flawed. Those that say that everything in computing is in base-2 are wrong. They say that because they have heard that computers are binary, 0 and 1, and were exposed to base-2 because operating systems have reported numbers in said base for almost half a century. Before they heard that computers are binary, they assumed that kilo meant 1000 and were shocked to learn that it meant 1024. Back in the day, it was easier and faster for computers to calculate in base-2. It stayed that way.

The issue is not the numbers, but the prefixes that accompany said numbers. They should have never used SI prefixes for base-2 mathematics. 1024 is close enough to 1000, but it is not 1000. At the terabyte-size, the difference in base-2 and base-10 is 10%. People are whining that they have been cheated. Their new 1000GB hard drive is only 900GB. Apple have been sued. This is why they changed to the proper way of using the prefixes. As hard disks become larger and larger, more idiots will sue them. READ MORE!

I installed my student version of Office 2008 without rosetta, and I know its not installed becasue another program I use needs it and asks for me to install it. :huh:

As it turns out Microsoft made a mistake with some versions. I have a Student Dutch Microsoft Office 2008 Install CD lying around which doesn't require Rosetta, yet the English retail version I want to use does. Go figure.

It still amazes me why Microsoft still insists on shipping separate CDs with different languages instead of just using Mac OS X' multi-lang capabilities.

No, I really like Snow Leopard, I just wish I was told it would be slow initially whie Spotlight re-indexed and the caches were re-built.

Well there shouldn't be. Snow Leopard supports quite a long list of Mac hardware.

Even on a in-place upgrade?

it wasn't that slow for me and i was doing it in-place on an external drive, then after i knew there were no big problems i cloned the external back to my internal system drive

i just got snow leopard and if i upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6 will all my files be gone? will the DVD do a fresh install or what?

unless you open Disk Utility and manually format or erase the drive, SL will by Default just upgrade your existing 10.5 leopard

BTW, giga

I think it is time to go through this thread and consolidate the information into the first post and clean the junk out (yes i know i'm guilty of adding to the junk as well)

Edited by Phantom Helix

So if I do a clean install then upgrade I should get a snappier system? It's not that fast at the moment and all I've done is a straight upgrade from my Leopard install.

So if I do a clean install then upgrade I should get a snappier system? It's not that fast at the moment and all I've done is a straight upgrade from my Leopard install.

I don't think it will make that much difference, however if you have an external drive you can do it like i did or install clean on the external then install all your apps and stuff then later clone the external back to the system drive, i used Carbon Copy Cloner. 3.3 beta3 (you can just hold the " Option Key " during boot to select which drive, internal or external to boot from)

So if I do a clean install then upgrade I should get a snappier system?

I did and that's what I got - then again I had considerable clutter left clogging up the pipes from trying out various virtualization software and other weird things.

I did and that's what I got - then again I had considerable clutter left clogging up the pipes from trying out various virtualization software and other weird things.

I love that sentence lol !!!! it will be in my sig for a bit

"weird things" lmao....

Edited by Phantom Helix