Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

wierd....what are you systems specs? processor, ram and hard drive speed (5400 or 7200)?

He's said twice now that his Mac is fine... He even says it in the post directly above yours...

Don't think it's been posted already so here it goes:

SL Ars review

It's an in-depth review of the new functionality in SL.

I'm still halfway through but so far a very interesting read. It's definitely not called the most advanced OS for nothing.

I reformatted for 10.5.8, so i just did an upgrade to SL and it's running very smooth; so i don't think i need to do a clean install anytime soon.

Let me guess, Spotlight was re-indexing your drive?

No. As I said in my post before I checked to make sure that no Time Machine Backups or Spotlight indexes were being performed. I cannot explain the sluggishness but it lasted about 10 minutes.

Don't think it's been posted already so here it goes:

SL Ars review

It's an in-depth review of the new functionality in SL.

I'm still halfway through but so far a very interesting read. It's definitely not called the most advanced OS for nothing.

Just took the time to read through that review. Even as a computer science student I found some of its content to be very technical, but it definitely helped me understand the advances made in this release. Definitely seems like they are paving the way for future advancements as well. Something that your average consumer may not appreciate I guess, but I suppose the price point will help with that!

Anyone else care to chime in on this? http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...99&tstart=0

Seems like I'm not the only one having issues opening multiple files from the Finder. Can't figure out the cause, anyone with it working did you upgrade or clean install?

I don't have 50 pdf's to open, but I was able to successfully open 54 jpeg and png images with preview (and quickly too). I guess I don't have the same issue. I did an upgrade from 10.5.8, as well.

I don't have 50 pdf's to open, but I was able to successfully open 54 jpeg and png images with preview (and quickly too). I guess I don't have the same issue. I did an upgrade from 10.5.8, as well.

he is specifically referring selecting multiple files and either dragging and dropping or right-clicking and opening with iTunes, which if the files do not exist in the iTunes library should trigger it to import them all,

if the option in iTunes is checked to import when playing files.

LOL sorry, i didn't read the KB article, his previous post was about iTunes, My Bad

EDIT: here is a nice video i just recorded and uploaded with Camtasia 1.0 that you can watch once YT finishes processing it

Edited by Phantom Helix

he is specifically referring selecting multiple files and either dragging and dropping or right-clicking and opening with iTunes, which if the files do not exist in the iTunes library should trigger it to import them all,

if the option in iTunes is checked to import when playing files.

LOL sorry, i didn't read the KB article, his previous post was about iTunes, My Bad

lol Your reply did have me confused. I did notice that when opening up 159 images, it opened 158 in one preview window, and suspiciously, it opened the last in a new window. Was strange. But it still opened all of the images.

Seems I'm unable to boot into 64bit even after modifying the com.apple.boot.plist file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=x86_64</string>
</dict>
</plist>

And yes, my EFI is 64bit capable.

Seems I'm unable to boot into 64bit even after modifying the com.apple.boot.plist file

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
</dict>
</plist>

What System? Macbooks and Mini's are a no-go

hoping for new touch (Y)

Did a clean install on my recenntly bought 2009 iMac, buttery smooth install and working as expected. Still have a few apps to install but the usual "Apple experience" for me.

Did my upgrade this afternoon, took longer than expected (around 40m+).

Everything seems to be working except for iStat (probably because Finder is 64bit now), and overall system performance is as advertised. Shutting down is blazing fast.

lol Your reply did have me confused. I did notice that when opening up 159 images, it opened 158 in one preview window, and suspiciously, it opened the last in a new window. Was strange. But it still opened all of the images.

The same thing happened to me as well.

On a side note, on my 2.4 MBP I had an additional 10 gigs free after doing an upgrade install.

What System? Macbooks and Mini's are a no-go

Macbook Pro 3,1

According with the compatibility list it supports all the features in SL, including the 64bit kernel.

Mine does that too, except it doesn't open all images, just a handful. Then it will open 1 more the 2nd time, and so on. For me and what seems to be a select few, its across all apps, and all filetypes. And directly related to the Finder itself. If I use the Open Dialog in any of these apps and select them all there. It opens flawlessly. Just when doing it from the Finder it seems to mess up. Which is rather inconvenient. Then to add even more joy to my day. Time Machine was excluded my entire iTunes Music folder from all backups by default. I had to Terminal in to remove the reference to it in the excluded list (note, not the one in system preferences. This list is hidden from view.)

If you want to view your list, type this in Terminal.

sudo mdfind "com_apple_backup_excludeItem = 'com.apple.backupd'"

Delete with this,

xattr -d com.apple.metadata:com_apple_backup_excludeItem FILENAMEHERE

What should be in there is album artwork and iPhoto Caches. For me I usually have the iTunes Library.xml which is rather critical, and lately my entire music library for whatever reason. Should have just upgraded. Stupid clean installs :p

Well, dangit

Now that i tested it on images only im getting the error, but only with images

EDIT: Change this setting and see what happens

EDIT 2: dang, didn't work for me

post-24918-1251829737.png

Wooo yours is borked too!

I mean sorry, it sucks, but glad to hear I'm not the only one here, it was getting lonely :laugh:

The problem is its not directly related to Preview. iTunes & Photoshop are the ones I experience it the most with, but I assume its all apps when launching from the Finder. Phantom, try opening all the same files, from the Preview Open Dialog, I'll betcha it works.

Btw, anyone else annoyed that they changed the text selection behaviour in Snow Leopard. Before it would stop a periods, now it extends past. this.sucks whereas before it'd perform like this does when double clicked, this-doesnt-suck.

Just a pain having to retype the filetypes and various other tags constantly.

Wooo yours is borked too!

I mean sorry, it sucks, but glad to hear I'm not the only one here, it was getting lonely :laugh:

The problem is its not directly related to Preview. iTunes & Photoshop are the ones I experience it the most with, but I assume its all apps when launching from the Finder. Phantom, try opening all the same files, from the Preview Open Dialog, I'll betcha it works.

Btw, anyone else annoyed that they changed the text selection behaviour in Snow Leopard. Before it would stop a periods, now it extends past. this.sucks whereas before it'd perform like this does when double clicked, this-doesnt-suck.

Just a pain having to retype the filetypes and various other tags constantly.

Odd, Im unable to replicate this bug, the files open perfectly.

SL clean install here.

Just upgraded my MacBook. My dock scrolls smoothly! I got 18GB freed up too, which seems a bit much, but I won't question free space :D

One thing, I'm missing the slider in the Finder for icon sizes. Any ideas?

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
</dict>
</plist>

I have the exact same issue with my iMac mid-2007 (iMac7,1).

Odd, Im unable to replicate this bug, the files open perfectly.

SL clean install here.

Lucky bugger :laugh: Give it some time or try with several folders of large pictures. For example some of my work related files for sites opened all fine, but my folders of wallpapers wouldn't.

Xero, you were correct, it worked from the preview file menu.

and am I wrong? but does the volume get muted when you reboot?

Figures. Damn Cocoa Finder, so awesome it won't open all file:p:p Not sure about the muting that seems a little odd, like you don't hear the chime? If you muted the system speakers and then plugged in external ones, it will be muted, unplug them, adjust the system volume, plug back in.

Just upgraded my MacBook. My dock scrolls smoothly! I got 18GB freed up too, which seems a bit much, but I won't question free spac:D:D

One thing, I'm missing the slider in the Finder for icon sizes. Any ideas?

Yea the animations are nice and smooth. As for the space, they changed how your drives are sized (well appear at least) so while it may seem excessive its likely a combination of the freed space when upgrading and the fact that all drives are show the larger size now.