Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

don't know if anybody has mention this, too many pages to look, but when using image preview to crop images, it now gives you the pixels measurements as you move the crop tool, that's a little something i find very useful.

Lucky bugger :laugh: Give it some time or try with several folders of large pictures. For example some of my work related files for sites opened all fine, but my folders of wallpapers wouldn't.

Figures. Damn Cocoa Finder, so awesome it won't open all files :p Not sure about the muting that seems a little odd, like you don't hear the chime? If you muted the system speakers and then plugged in external ones, it will be muted, unplug them, adjust the system volume, plug back in.

Yea the animations are nice and smooth. As for the space, they changed how your drives are sized (well appear at least) so while it may seem excessive its likely a combination of the freed space when upgrading and the fact that all drives are show the larger size now.

Blast, i shoulda known about the volume thing from the iphone doing the same thing loll

the doesn't just make the HDD's appear bigger, it also makes the mb, gb, tb look bigger as well so that can't be it, my upgrade added 3+gb

Click "Options" next to "Add Reply" button in the top right corner of the forum, then choose "Standard" in the list.

Radish?

They say I should receive my copy by September 3rd.... Damn, I'm really eager to install it because I have to format my new MacBook Pro, then install Windows 7 on it with the new drivers, then install every possible Mac app I was using before. It's gonna take a couple of hours.

Then I'll post my comments and everything about the final build :) It just kinda sucks that my preordered copy arrives after everyone else's. Next time, remind me not to order from Apple and to just buy it at my beloved Future Shop, or Best Buy.

Mac owners with older ATI HD cards like the 2600XT, here is the reason why you can't have OpenCL in SL:

Compute shader has a higher possibility of getting peak performance because it is not part of the graphics pipeline.

For example, when you run a pixel shader, a vertex/geometry shader must be executed first in order to generate the pixels. So there is overhead involved and it requires resources. In compute shader, you basically get all the resources on the chip. Actually achieving that peak performance is another thing however.

————————-

Micah Villmow

Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

Pixel Shader code (if not using some special stuff like double precision) runs on all cards. Compute shaders only on the HD4000 series.

If you write in Brook code without using AMD extensions and using the older brook codebase, you can compile to a vast majority of graphics cards using the DX/OGL backends. With pixel shader mode, you can target all Radeon HD cards and compute shader can target all HD4XXX series and later cards. So yeah, compatibility is a reason.

————————-

Micah Villmow

Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

So, obviously a reason is simple, opencl on radeons in SL uses compute shaders and they are available only on 4000 gpu series.

Lets see something else:

strings /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/AMDil.dylib | grep Enable

Enable pixel shader code generation

Enable compute shader code generation

Enable Compute Shader instructions

Enable Double Precision instructions

Enable Pixel Shader instructions

Looks like they have ability to run opencl on old radeon cards but it isn’t enabled yet.

It can be just two reasons why – it’s not finished/ready yet and will be finished later, or they are not going to enable it and pushing users for upgrade.

p.s. opencl for nvidia cards done via CUDA (look at file /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib), so it supports all cuda supported gpus

It looks like it can be enabled, but probably not recommended.

Edited by cabron

64 bit Windows 7 drivers? I installed 64 bit windows 7. When I tried to run the installer it told me it couldn't run on my machine?

Go to the "Drivers" folder, then apple folder, find the bootcamp64 file and right click, then click "troubleshoot compatibility" or something like that, then it will install just fine.

So far for me everything has been good. I installed windows 7 and put in the new bootcamp drivers and things seem a lot faster. HFS driver is awesome and the trackpad is almost as good in windows as it is in OSX.

The OS itself it a lot snappier (i did a normal pop in the disk install too). All my programs pretty much work, which to my surprise included MAMP. Things that do not work are the iWOW plugin, windows live sync doesn't sign in, istat menu doesn't work and a couple of other minor issues.

One problem I am having (and from googling so are others ) is that when i do a save as in Photoshop or Illustrator CS4 the program itself crashes. It only happens randomly and sometimes deleting the file i am trying to over write helps that issue. I thought it was some sort of Adobe issue but other programs are having problems with that as well. Really hope they fix this ASAP.

Other then that everything is great :) 39 bucks well spent.

64 bit Windows 7 drivers? I installed 64 bit windows 7. When I tried to run the installer it told me it couldn't run on my machine?

You have to dig into the contents and find a folder named "Apple" and it will have the 64-bit installer in there.

I also installed Win7 64-bit, but I couldn't and still can't get the sound driver to work. I've literally tried everything and the most progress I got was it said that the "device can't be started". Yep, I downloaded the most recent copy from realtek's website, and still nothing. I'm running a 2009 Mac Mini, btw. Anybody with similar issues?

Everything went just fine on my 2008 unibody MacBook Pro. Didn't even have to dig out any files, just popped the disc in, selected Boot Camp from the pop up, and went through just fine.

I'm pretty sure I installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7 :p

My computer was not connected to the internet at the time... maybe there is some strange internet-related check in place? I dunno, it's strange that it worked for me and no one else.

EDIT: Verified that I have Windows 7 x64 installed.

You have to dig into the contents and find a folder named "Apple" and it will have the 64-bit installer in there.

I also installed Win7 64-bit, but I couldn't and still can't get the sound driver to work. I've literally tried everything and the most progress I got was it said that the "device can't be started". Yep, I downloaded the most recent copy from realtek's website, and still nothing. I'm running a 2009 Mac Mini, btw. Anybody with similar issues?

i am using the 32 bit version, i just started the installer and let it do its thing, went great.

Performed a clean install just to see what it was like. Didn't see any performance enhancement over an upgrade so I restored my time machine backup instead of wasting time setting my machine up again.

All good here with upgrade (Y)

Things I've noticed straight away is Mail is more responsive opens faster and searches are faster. I have a lot of emails in it and it felt sluggish in Leopard compared to Snow Leopard. Finder feels more responsive when navigating around Network Shared Folders. Other then that it feels about the same but my system wasn't exactly a dog to begin with. I love the new Expose looks a lot nicer.

Speaking of Windows 7. I wasn't able to install any of the drivers from my Snow Leopard disc. Perhaps it was because I used 64 bit?
I installed 64-bit Snow Leopard drivers in Windows 7 just fine...
Go to the "Drivers" folder, then apple folder, find the bootcamp64 file and right click, then click "troubleshoot compatibility" or something like that, then it will install just fine.

Bootcamp x64 will refuse to install on anything that is not a Mac Pro or a MacBook pro. You can always make that MSI file install somehow (it will require you to be an admin and even if you run the windows explorer as admin it will still ask it. so I guess the troubleshoot compatibility will do the trick). Apparently all but two drivers can get installed, one of them being the iSight

The only part of the bootcamp drivers that is designed to stop you from installing on unsupported machines is the setup.exe launcher at the root of the Windows partition of the SL disc.

the file /Drivers/Apple Bootcamp64.msi should install on a 64bit vista/7 installation without any need for special tricks

at least on my iMac it didn't, but that setup.exe launcher it designed to quit when run on anything other than the "Pros"

The "window minimize" genie effect changed, wasn't expecting it. Now I'm just waiting for iStat 2.0 to come out.

I don't see how the Genie effect looks any different in v10.6 compared to v10.0 through v10.5.8?

The only difference I see compared to previous Mac OS X versions and Windows Vista / 7 is that Snow Leopard doesn't get rid of the shadows anymore when minimizing and within Expos?. But the effect itself seems to be unchanged.

What are people using instead of onyx and cocktail both are not supported in SL and i need to flush some cache files.

R.

MacPilot and the secrets preffpane both work

I don't see how the Genie effect looks any different in v10.6 compared to v10.0 through v10.5.8?

Restoring does the normal effect, but when minimizing it doesn't get "sucked" into the dock as it used to. I've used OS X since 10.3, it's definitely different. Or it was a bug.