Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

Bootcamp x64 will refuse to install on anything that is not a Mac Pro or a MacBook pro. You can always make that MSI file install somehow (it will require you to be an admin and even if you run the windows explorer as admin it will still ask it. so I guess the troubleshoot compatibility will do the trick). Apparently all but two drivers can get installed, one of them being the iSight
The only part of the bootcamp drivers that is designed to stop you from installing on unsupported machines is the setup.exe launcher at the root of the Windows partition of the SL disc.

the file /Drivers/Apple Bootcamp64.msi should install on a 64bit vista/7 installation without any need for special tricks

at least on my iMac it didn't, but that setup.exe launcher it designed to quit when run on anything other than the "Pros"

Thanks guys, and the others that contributed. I'll try it again at home. I did a bit of digging but not too much. I'll play with it some more and maybe try the compatibility stuff. I'm installing it on the current line of iMac's if it makes a difference.

Restoring does the normal effect, but when minimizing it doesn't get "sucked" into the dock as it used to. I've used OS X since 10.3, it's definitely different. Or it was a bug.

I've been using Mac OS X since its initial release in 2001 and the betas before that. I don't see any difference to be honest. Minimizing and restoring gives me the exact same result only in de opposite direction.

Restoring does the normal effect, but when minimizing it doesn't get "sucked" into the dock as it used to. I've used OS X since 10.3, it's definitely different. Or it was a bug.

Are you talking about this? wether it goes to the right of the dock or into the app icon?

post-24918-1251913444_thumb.png

Are you talking about this? wether it goes to the right of the dock or into the app icon?

No, the effect is somewhat strange. I'll see if it still happens when I get home.

EDIT: Yeah, it's completely different from the "being sucked" effect I remember.

I took this in slow motion:

Edited by Ricardo Gil

No, the effect is somewhat strange. I'll see if it still happens when I get home.

EDIT: Yeah, it's completely different from the "being sucked" effect I remember.

Wow, that is messed up

here is what mine looks like, Ive also found a little more about the base10 Vs. base2 file size math, it is incredibly inconsistent here is a screen,

I understand it is up the app on how to display it but Safari? come on apple's own app? shows 32.6 mb, and notice finder displays 2 different sizes, 34.1mb on the desktop and 34.2mb in the info box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0WN8YcqkY

Am i going to have to resort to checking the bytes for every file when i want to compare them GAH!!! loll

Now that i'm using SL on a day to day basis i'm getting the feeling more and more that it was Rushed To Manufacturing

post-24918-1251916849.png

Edited by Phantom Helix

The method change lead to a lot of loose ends it seems. Should be a while until everything gets calculated the same way :/

Anyway, the genie effect seems to work fine if I tell it to minimize into the application icon. Restoring minimized windows looks OK both ways.

that looks like messed up scale effect. :blink:

here is what mine looks like, Ive also found a little more about the base10 Vs. base2 file size math, it is incredibly inconsistent here is a screen,

I understand it is up the app on how to display it but Safari? come on apple's own app? shows 32.6 mb, and notice finder displays 2 different sizes, 34.1mb on the desktop and 34.2mb in the info box.

You just don't understand the differences.

There are two sizes for every file stored on a drive in any operating system

• The actual size of the file: the sum of the number of bytes it uses. echo "Hello" > example.txt produces a 5-byte file. One byte for each letter.
    You can see this size as the file-size (rounded off) on the desktop when "Show info" is enabled. It is also displayed unmodified inside of the brackets on your show info window.
  • The amount of space the file uses on disk. This amount varies from drive to drive, partition to partition and OS to OS. The reason for the variation is because file systems don't allocation bytes to a file, they allocate blocks: and blocks are all the same size (for example 4 kilobytes). Any file that is less than 4 kilobytes will still take up "4 k on disk" because it can't be assigned less space. A file that contains 6,000 bytes will consume 8 kilobytes on disk because you would be assigned 2 blocks for the file. You can see this size in the get info window as labeled "[file size] on disk".
    Moving a file from a device with 4kb blocks to one with 512 byte blocks (like a small fat32 drive) will actually turn your 4 kilobyte "hello" file from into a 512 byte file containing "hello".

Safari is reporting the number of bytes downloaded divided by 1024^2. It's a safari bug - likely because it runs on both 10.6, 10.5 and Windows. File a bug report.

Am i going to have to resort to checking the bytes for every file when i want to compare them GAH!!! loll

You always had to. This is not something new with 10.6: it's been around since the beginning of Mac OS X (possibly longer).

A 1000245 byte file, and a 100250 byte file would both use 12 kilobytes on disk, and finder would display them both as 10.1 kilobytes.

20090902-jmh3sfnhu6ana2t9akj3qbjjwd.jpg

If you are comparing sizes based on the finder reported size: you'd be no worse off under 10.6 than you are on 10.5.

If you are comparing sizes based on the get info window: you'd be no worse off under 10.6 than you are on 10.5.

for those that are still trying to find out new useful features or just justify the ?$ spent I HIGHLY recommend wathcing the Macbreak Podcast Videos via itunes.

There are two podcasts on the improved 'services'

The new 'Services' functionality are very impressive...

Here's a small gripe over snow leopard. Has anyone noticed a performance drop when transitioning between spaces? When I swap spaces I feel a definite performance drop (i.e., chugging) over leopard.

Anyone experience this?

You just don't understand the differences.

There are two sizes for every file stored on a drive in any operating system

• The actual size of the file: the sum of the number of bytes it uses. echo "Hello" > example.txt produces a 5-byte file. One byte for each letter.
    You can see this size as the file-size (rounded off) on the desktop when "Show info" is enabled. It is also displayed unmodified inside of the brackets on your show info window.
  • The amount of space the file uses on disk. This amount varies from drive to drive, partition to partition and OS to OS. The reason for the variation is because file systems don't allocation bytes to a file, they allocate blocks: and blocks are all the same size (for example 4 kilobytes). Any file that is less than 4 kilobytes will still take up "4 k on disk" because it can't be assigned less space. A file that contains 6,000 bytes will consume 8 kilobytes on disk because you would be assigned 2 blocks for the file. You can see this size in the get info window as labeled "[file size] on disk".
    Moving a file from a device with 4kb blocks to one with 512 byte blocks (like a small fat32 drive) will actually turn your 4 kilobyte "hello" file from into a 512 byte file containing "hello".

Safari is reporting the number of bytes downloaded divided by 1024^2. It's a safari bug - likely because it runs on both 10.6, 10.5 and Windows. File a bug report.

You always had to. This is not something new with 10.6: it's been around since the beginning of Mac OS X (possibly longer).

A 1000245 byte file, and a 100250 byte file would both use 12 kilobytes on disk, and finder would display them both as 10.1 kilobytes.

If you are comparing sizes based on the finder reported size: you'd be no worse off under 10.6 than you are on 10.5.

If you are comparing sizes based on the get info window: you'd be no worse off under 10.6 than you are on 10.5.

I understand the technical differences, now after we started talking about it in this thread, reminding me accomplished nothing.

However it shows that they didn't fully examine these issues before they made a public release, and that is my point.

I apologize if I did not make my overall point apparent, that is just how I speak, re-explaining the technical specs of how things work was unnecessary and carried out with a condescending tone.

No biggie though, I get where you are coming from and why it comes out that way.

Here's a small gripe over snow leopard. Has anyone noticed a performance drop when transitioning between spaces? When I swap spaces I feel a definite performance drop (i.e., chugging) over leopard.

Anyone experience this?

I would say that is just as quick, but the redraw does seem a little jaggedy !

There is now a 3rd video on 'Services' from the Macbreak podcast....

Anyway, the genie effect seems to work fine if I tell it to minimize into the application icon. Restoring minimized windows looks OK both ways.

Definitely a bug.

That's funny you say that, because I get extremely choppy and jerky Genie effects when minimizing and restoring windows UNLESS I make it minimize to the application icon. Then magically these animations move veeeeeeery smoothly.

Anyone experience this?

Yes, in fact all animations seem to be jerky now (i'm ajm83 on this thread - also see this one)

Did a totally clean install, and not installed anything except iWork + iLife

Edited by hornett

Yes, in fact all animations seem to be jerky now (i'm ajm83 on this thread - also see this one)

Did a totally clean install, and not installed anything except iWork + iLife

All these graphic bugs were kind of expected, OpenCL is still an infant technology, but Apple really shouldn't have rushed this.

The "window minimize" genie effect changed, wasn't expecting it. Now I'm just waiting for iStat 2.0 to come out.

There is a beta 2.0 out that I found on the bjango forums. Keynote is BETA. I would recommend updating whenever iStat says there is an update as the devs are diligently working around the clock on this one. The link is about 2/3 down the page. Remember, BETA, although it runs well so far on my system.

Does anyone seem to lack the majority of the 'services'? For example, if I command click an image, there should be workflows to rotate it clock/anti-clockwise etc - yet all I see is 'Set desktop picture'. Likewise, in iPhoto options are severely lacking for me, which I am bemused about...

With pics are you talking about using Preview? If so you should right click near the top toolbar and select 'customize', from there you can select all the toolbar buttons (such as rotate, etc.) Also, you might need to set your defaults for services in System Preferences. Go to Keyboard..Keyboard Shortcuts and on the left you'll see a configuration for Services.

my safari has beeen hating life. it randomly beachballs and won't download some links (.zip, .torrent, .dmg etc). I have to copy past the link into the downloads window to get them to download, it's sooo annoying. Is there like a reinstaller somewhere out there for snow leopard beta? Imma try out a webkit built and see how that goes.

edit: tried webkit... does it to :s

Amit Singh of Mac OS X Internals fame has a blog post about enabling the 64-bit kernel on machines that otherwise can't boot it (macbooks, mac minis, etc) including machines with 32-bit EFI, not that it's useful.

I tried briefly: it works as advertised.

20090903-g3u7dr5u6kgfd118pw6ud4mfkp.jpg

Having dug around it seems that Macbook Pro 3,1 won't boot to 64 by default because the AirPortAtheros driver is still 32bit which would indicate why it's been blacklisted from booting in native.

I've give it a little test to see if my hypothesis on the matter is correct.