Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

Anyone know if this lets you "middle click" on a logitech mx revolution?

I don't understand why people don't just use Logitech Control Center.

I know some have had bad experience with it, but I've owned my MX Revo with my MBP for years and years now and have never ever had a single problem. The software have been nothing but a nice experience for me.

That being said, Logitech don't have anything for SL right now, but when they do, you can easily configure your MX Revo to have a middle click on your MX Revo.

I don't understand why people don't just use Logitech Control Center.

I know some have had bad experience with it, but I've owned my MX Revo with my MBP for years and years now and have never ever had a single problem. The software have been nothing but a nice experience for me.

That being said, Logitech don't have anything for SL right now, but when they do, you can easily configure your MX Revo to have a middle click on your MX Revo.

The current version of the Logitech Control Centre (3.0.0) works perfectly fine on OS X 10.6.

One small issue: If you have assigned one mouse button to Expos?, you'll have to copy (not move!) Expos?.app from /Applications/Utilities to /Applications/. After that it works.

The current version of the Logitech Control Centre (3.0.0) works perfectly fine on OS X 10.6.

One small issue: If you have assigned one mouse button to Expos?, you'll have to copy (not move!) Expos?.app from /Applications/Utilities to /Applications/. After that it works.

Well, I'd rather not hack around with LCC until Logitech offers official support. I do now about the little "fix" though. Thank:):)

Well, I'd rather not hack around with LCC until Logitech offers official support. I do now about the little "fix" though. Thanks :)

I did, and it works just fine...however I had to use the previous drivers (not the most recent ones).

I did, and it works just fine...however I had to use the previous drivers (not the most recent ones).

LCC is temperamental. LCC 3.1 is coming in a week or so, and god knows what the update is gonna do to the hacked around version. Plus, holding off on LCC is helping me hold off on SL all together. Still waiting for developers to cobble together some compatible software for SL. (Dropbox, VM, Onyx, ParagonNTFS, I'm lookin at your guys)

I Dunno why ? but for the first time , im not impressed with an OS made by Apple. You know , no revolutionary new features , loads of Incompatibilities & now bugs & security holes. ( cmon this is supposed to be Windows territory , isnt it )

I Dunno why ? but for the first time , im not impressed with an OS made by Apple. You know , no revolutionary new features , loads of Incompatibilities & now bugs & security holes. ( cmon this is supposed to be Windows territory , isnt it )

You shouldn't expect "revolutionary" features every time. In fact, most operating system upgrades are just evolutionary (Snow Leopard, Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10, etc.) Expecting the world with every new release just ensures you'll be disappointed every time.

So far, I haven't been able to install it because it seems to have been lost by Purolator, but when I had the betas, I wouldn't agree with you.

There's just a few apps that don't work and the most recent ones should work fine. For instance, if Photoshop CS3 is not 100% compatible, then CS4 is.

If by security holes, you mean including an older version of Flash, well they will include the latest one in 10.6.1, don't worry about that.

I'll give you the no revolutionnary features, as it was pretty much the goal of the OS :)

By optimizing the OS so much, it was meant to happen.

But if you're not running any OpenCL code, it won't effect graphical performance.

Indeed, and also it's not available on the X3100 anyhow.

OpenCL

requires one of the following graphics cards or graphics processors:

* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX5600

* ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

With the problems I'm reading on a couple of forums I just cancelled my order via the Apple store. I'm just not convinced it's up to scratch yet. I'll wait until the first patch is released then make the transition.

Loads of incompatibilities? I haven't had many software incompatibilities (mostly just 32-bit plugins, but all the ones I used are updated to 64-bit). As for security holes, I don't think a version of Flash released 7 days before Snow Leopard went Gold Master counts as a security hole, and like PsykX said, the latest version of Flash is going to be bundled in 10.6.1.

This OS was touted as having no revolutionary features at all. It's a very thorough look at how Apple could make OS X better without adding more features, and they did an awesome job.

To be honest this update is more for Developers then it is consumers. They want consumers to be using this version only so that Developers can use the new API's and Frameworks and move their software to 64-bit (And Cocoa at the same time). This is the foundation for the next release that rest assured will have lots of 'revolutionary new features'.

Remember to move forward you need to leave things behind. I'm sure a lot of horse owners said 'So your saying this Car thing isn't compatible with the Horses I already own?' but everyone is in agreement that the Car is better than the Horse and Cart. Developers had plenty of time to get their Software compatible with Snow. They could sign up for ADC to get builds, they could pirate it early to test compatibility (As a last resort). Apple can't wait for any stagnating developers if they are going to bring you the best software they can make.

And remember Apple lead the Mac sector. If they wait for everyone else to get on the same page as them OS X would never get a new release. Period.

Finally upgraded my MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Working great, no problems. On my MacBook Pro before the upgrade I had 133GB free now I have 151GB Free. On the Mac Pro I had 159GB free now I have 180GB free. Niceee :)

Finally upgraded my MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Working great, no problems. On my MacBook Pro before the upgrade I had 133GB free now I have 151GB Free. On the Mac Pro I had 159GB free now I have 180GB free. Niceee :)

that is a combo of SL smaller fpnt + base10 file size math yet it sounds Quite excessive for some reason

Damit, I must be the only one that genuinely lost space, added around 3.86 GB (SL math) or 3.47 GiB (Leopard math)

I guess thats what i get for keeping my data slimmed

That's a lot of misinformation in one little post.

Just bought my version today at the local store and am impressed with it right now. But it is taking me time to get it set up as I installed it without upgrading it. I am having trouble with the mac mail program timing out on ssl imaps as well as various other inaccessability errors (spoke with my host about it and couldnt' figure it out) and am looking for a better program as I have about 15 emails as I have several sites. So far, not too many that work for me like Thunderbird or Postbox.

Other than that, so far no real problems with it other than suffering from some speed increases that I am not used to. :D

I've been running it for about a week now, and it is a bit better, got Airport fixed, but Safari still crashes like mad - not exactly sure where the problem lies, but it seems to be connected to saving image files to my USB flash drive. I had no problems saving before in Leopard, but ever since the upgrade to SL, it crashes like a load of bricks.

Firefox crashes with me in SL whenever I hit the Help menu to check for updates. Very odd, but not crashing otherwise. Running in 64-bit mode though, so might have something to do with it. Have not tried in 32-bit mode. However, wishing that 64-bit Firefox was around.

Firefox crashes with me in SL whenever I hit the Help menu to check for updates. Very odd, but not crashing otherwise. Running in 64-bit mode though, so might have something to do with it. Have not tried in 32-bit mode. However, wishing that 64-bit Firefox was around.

There is really no reason to be running the kernel in 64bit mode your APPS can STILL run in 64bit either way

I got snow leopard the day it was released and have been using it ever since. Besides the new Kernel Panic I've suffered due to apparently the External USB hard drive somehow causing the kernel panic. It's been running fairly well. There are many improvements compared to the previous leopard. I don't know if you could do it before but you can now use Expose while in spaces view mode. Which is handy if you have multiple windows spanned across your "n" number of spaces.

Having the windows minimize into the app icon in the dock makes it less cluttering to the dock than before. (though you have to enable it.) It doesn't create a new icon for every minimized window. Clicking on the icon and holding it for a few seconds enables expose for all the windows for the app. that's a pretty nifty feature.

The thing I dislike about Snow Leopard is their change to how they read the hard drive. From Base 2 (which is what everyone else uses) to Base 10 (which is only used by storage device manufacturers). That is where half of the "freed up" storage comes from. So in a way people who claim to have freeded up x amount probably ended up freeing only half of what they see. Regardless is still an improvement.

64-bit Snow Leopard is not enabled by default. Compatible macs are required to hold down 6 and 4 when booting up in order to load the 64-bit kernel otherwise it defaults to 32-bit. I can understamd they did this because the core duo mac don't have 32-bit support. Though 64-bit apps can still run nonetheless.

Stacks is alot better than it is compared to the one in snow leopard. It is now more navigable and allows you to scroll though the list which is a major plus for me.

openGL performance has nothing to do with openCL. those are 2 different sets of APIs that happen to share the same resources. They shouldn't affect each other.

I see snow leopard as an optimization upgrade of leopard. and like all new operating system upgrades, software compatibility issues are a given, there is no running away from that fact. I personally think Snow Leopard is pretty good, but yes, the bugs can be quite annoying. It's the price early adopters have had to face with every new release of a major piece of software. :p But 10.6.1 should be out fairly soon that will solve most of the critical issues found in SL.

Edited by Espada04