Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

Anyway, the genie effect seems to work fine if I tell it to minimize into the application icon. Restoring minimized windows looks OK both ways.

Mac OS X has a third hidden minimize effect, the so called "Suck-in" one, which can only be enabled through Terminal or using an application like TinkerTool or OnyX. Looking at your screen recording it looks like the third (unsupported) one has been enabled somehow.

All these graphic bugs were kind of expected, OpenCL is still an infant technology, but Apple really shouldn't have rushed this.

OpenCL isn't a graphics thing, it's a general processing thing (write code that runs on the GPU or the CPU)

Having dug around it seems that Macbook Pro 3,1 won't boot to 64 by default because the AirPortAtheros driver is still 32bit which would indicate why it's been blacklisted from booting in native.

I've give it a little test to see if my hypothesis on the matter is correct.

That's the only reason I can't boot my hack in 64bit :(

That's the only reason I can't boot my hack in 64bit :(

Same here. That, and USBOverdrive isn't compatible with 64-bit, so sticking with 32-bit here. Did not notice any performance improvements running in 64-bit, either.

OpenCL isn't a graphics thing, it's a general processing thing (write code that runs on the GPU or the CPU)

Exactly, it interacts with the graphics subsystem thereby influencing overall performance. I'm betting at this stage it's not optimized enough to cooperate well.

I got it and installed it clean, then imported via Time Machine.

Finder is noticeably faster for me... but aside from that... meh?

Also, pelas help me understand this 64 bit issue. I have a MacBook 4,1 and via the terminal command I have verified that I can run 64bit. However, am I reading it correctly here that I CAN'T boot to 64bit? I installed Win 7 64bit on this machine and it worked just fine.

I got it and installed it clean, then imported via Time Machine.

Finder is noticeably faster for me... but aside from that... meh?

Also, pelas help me understand this 64 bit issue. I have a MacBook 4,1 and via the terminal command I have verified that I can run 64bit. However, am I reading it correctly here that I CAN'T boot to 64bit? I installed Win 7 64bit on this machine and it worked just fine.

The Kernel boots in 32 bit, however everything else runs/is able to run in 64bit mode.

Exactly, it interacts with the graphics subsystem thereby influencing overall performance. I'm betting at this stage it's not optimized enough to cooperate well.

But if you're not running any OpenCL code, it won't effect graphical performance.

But if you're not running any OpenCL code, it won't effect graphical performance.

That's a big if. Some people are reporting jerkiness in transition effects after they open a few different applications. One of those apps can very well be using OpenCL routines (Finder or another Apple app). If one of those routines gets routed to the GPU there's a big chance it'll influence GPU performance for graphics, especially in less capable ones.

I'm running on a 9400m and so far haven't found animations to lag, others have...

Of course, OpenCL being the culprit is just a theory for now, could be a lot of things.

The Kernel boots in 32 bit, however everything else runs/is able to run in 64bit mode.

Can you elaborate on that some? Or post a link to "Running 64 bit stuff in Snow Leopard for Dummies" site? :p

Can you elaborate on that some? Or post a link to "Running 64 bit stuff in Snow Leopard for Dummies" site? :p

There is no need for you to specify anything - if the application has 64bit supported compiled in, it will be run as a 64bit application. It's like.. magic!

You don't really need to worry about anything. From what I understand Mac OS X is really smart, and you will be getting most of the advantages of 64-bit anyway without the driver incompatibilities that come with a 64-bit kernel.

That's a big if. Some people are reporting jerkiness in transition effects after they open a few different applications. One of those apps can very well be using OpenCL routines (Finder or another Apple app). If one of those routines gets routed to the GPU there's a big chance it'll influence GPU performance for graphics, especially in less capable ones.

I'm running on a 9400m and so far haven't found animations to lag, others have...

Of course, OpenCL being the culprit is just a theory for now, could be a lot of things.

Ahh yes the 9400m and the 9600m GT are OpenCL's little darling chips which is most optimized for, older chips may support it but it was intended to really start here

Mac OS X has a third hidden minimize effect, the so called "Suck-in" one, which can only be enabled through Terminal or using an application like TinkerTool or OnyX. Looking at your screen recording it looks like the third (unsupported) one has been enabled somehow.

Interesting, I'll install OnyX tonight and see if it solves the "issue".

it could be drivers too, mine has been a little jaggie (like the transitions are not smooth using an intel 945gm), in leopard everything was smooth

and thanks for the links ricardo for istat (Y)

Ahh yes the 9400m and the 9600m GT are OpenCL's little darling chips which is most optimized for, older chips may support it but it was intended to really start here

Well, since the 9600M GT is only an overclocked 8600M GT, a card that outperforms in every aspect the 9400M then I guess this will be no problem for us old macbook pro owners, right?:unsure:e:

Well, since the 9600M GT is only an overclocked 8600M GT, a card that outperforms in every aspect the 9400M then I guess this will be no problem for us old macbook pro owners, right? :unsure:

come on now this is apple were talking about lol

I assume it will work ok as long as it is a supported chip, but for now OpenCL's development will continue to grow, I simply meant the 9400m and 9600m GT were the chips chosen for it to be optimized the most for initially