Subscribing in dollars, how much would you pay?

Subscribing in US Dollars  

185 members have voted

1. 1. I'd pay the following amount for basic subscription

• $15
    • $20
    • $25
  2. 2. I'd pay the following amount for ad-free subscription

• $50
    • $60
    • I'd pay $60 and probably donate a bit more

Hey guys,

The cost of subscription was set way back in 2004 and used to include email (but also, less "enhanced services"). While we aren't planning to drastically change the current pricing, my question to you guys would be: What would you be prepared to pay in US Dollars?

My initial thought would be 15 bucks and ditch the ever fluctuating euro, it would work in our favour too, seeing as we now have an American LLC which handles everything in US Dollars.

So, how much should we set the basic subscriber cost in US Dollars

.. and how much would you be prepared to pay for an ad-less version of Neowin annually?

Id be willing to pay up to $25 for subscription and up to $50 for ad-less version of Neowin!

I think $15-$25 is probably a good price for basic, and $30-$50 for ad-less!

I think $15 isn't a bad price.

Even though I'm not bothered by the ads on Neowin I would be willing to pay $50 a year for an ad free website

Maybe I should add a vote, hmm..

Yeah good idea :)

I think an option to donate more at anytime would be a good idea, i defiantly would have donate more in the last few years :p

Edited by xirtamdbml

$12-15.00 US is OK. I would not pay for an ad free Neowin.

There is not a choice not to pay for an ad free Neowin, so I could not vote.

Edited by Gary7

I agree with Redmak, $50 (?25 for me) would be well worth it for an ad-less neowin, maybe up to about ?15 ($30) for a sub in its current state.

so:

$30 w/ads

$50 wo/ads

$75 for access to the hand woven bogroll /me glances at mephistopheles

Well I pay just to support.

I don't think ads are pain enough to warrant me pay more than $15-$20 to get rid of them. However I would not suggest making them more a pain.

The biggest problem is not overpricing the current maybe one-day subscribe.

All replies here from paying members you need ask non paying...

$15 or $20 sounds reasonable for the subscription. I don't think I'd ever pay for an ad-free website becuase I'm not bothered by them :).

I'd say around $15 to subscribe, $20 tops, and like ?10 UK money or there bouts - Or say ?15 tops.

For ad-less I think $50/60 is a bit much, I'd think around 2x the subscribe amount - So around $30, maybe $40 tops.

However if you were able to show each person in a year earns more money for NW through the ads than $30/40 I'd reconsider my stance.

You could maybe introduce varying levels of subscription benefits,

Say $10/$15 - Basic entry, increased PMs and editing abilities or something.

Say $15/$20 - Advanced entry, same benefits as above, but also some other perks...

Same with adds

Say $20-$30 - Basic entry, no ads on part X of the site, but ads displayed on part Y.

Say $30-$40 - Advanced entry, no adds at all.

That may encourage more sign ups from people that won't pay as much as only the one option gives... As with one option it's subscribe or don't, with multiple you have more options for members, and therefore potentially more sign-ups.

(replace figures above with whatever you agree on)

Edited by Audioboxer

Funny how this comes up on the day my subscription expires...

Will we be seeing anything added in the near future (month or two) or else I am just going to renew my subscription tonight

I'd pay $15-$20, only if Neowin is kind enough to provide an additional credit card processor that can handle payment from countries that doesn't have PayPal support yet (ie. Egypt) 2checkout.com and moneybookers.com are a good alternatives (we went on this discussion already in an older thread with no solution! :( ) I personally know 4 Egyptian members that will subscribe immediately if such an option is available, not to mention the hundreds others who can't use PayPal or the UK processor.

The last time I subscribed I asked a friend with a PayPal account (giving him my user-name and password) and then transferred the amount to him via WU which is too expensive when transferring only ten Euros!

For the ad-free service, honestly I'm not interested and can't afford paying for it.

as much as i love neowin, $15 is were i draw the line.

the ads dont bother me at all.

if i was paying more than $15 there'd better be some nice new features.

I guess I would probably just about pay $50 a year for ad-less... I doubt neowin get much profit off me for the ads anyway since I can't remember ever clicking them on purpose or by accident. $50 would be more for the convience of just not having them there.

I was going to subscribe a few months ago, but then noticed that the $10 I thought I was going to pay was actually $15, so I didn't. Money is extremely tight atm, so I'm kind of glad that I didn't then, but that doesn't rule out a future possibility. $10 would be a sweet spot for me, unless I had more money to dish out.

I'd pay no more than $15 for a subscription but wouldn't pay anything for an 'add free' version.

for an ad-less neowin, I guess you could calculate how much money you stop earning per user that doesnt see ads

as for a basic subscription, 15 bucks is fine. I wouldn't pay any more than that for an ad-less neowin, anyway.

Better expressed, 'ad-free' is not a feature that would drive me to pay money. Other goodies would.

I'd pay $20 for a subscription and $50 for ad free.

The only things that are stopping me from subscribing:

1. I lose my stars. I Would like to keep them, but have other changes (like name in orange) that set us apart.

2. You should do a deal where if you subscribe, you get 3 warnings ( or more ) taken away. If you offered that, I'd buy in next week.

I'd pay $20 for a subscription and $50 for ad free.

The only things that are stopping me from subscribing:

1. I lose my stars. I Would like to keep them, but have other changes (like name in orange) that set us apart.

2. You should do a deal where if you subscribe, you get 3 warnings ( or more ) taken away. If you offered that, I'd buy in next week.

Wut?

That's like offering to buy your way out of a prison sentence :laugh:

It'll never happen.