Subscribing in dollars, how much would you pay?

Subscribing in US Dollars  

185 members have voted

1. 1. I'd pay the following amount for basic subscription

• $15
    • $20
    • $25
  2. 2. I'd pay the following amount for ad-free subscription

• $50
    • $60
    • I'd pay $60 and probably donate a bit more

2. You should do a deal where if you subscribe, you get 3 warnings ( or more ) taken away. If you offered that, I'd buy in next week.

Not a chance of that ever happening. Subscribers are just as responsible for their actions as standard members are.

I'd pay $20 for a subscription and $50 for ad free.

The only things that are stopping me from subscribing:

1. I lose my stars. I Would like to keep them, but have other changes (like name in orange) that set us apart.

2. You should do a deal where if you subscribe, you get 3 warnings ( or more ) taken away. If you offered that, I'd buy in next week.

You will never get warns taken away for money.

Could you imagine, say, a strong political advocate from the right (or left) donating a thousand dollars to Neowin and spending all day throwing personal attacks at liberal- or conservative- leaning members in RWI? Or a well-to-do Apple user donating said amount to trash Microsoft at every article? Or a guy with seven PS3s (with a shotgun :laugh:) donating that same amount to-

You get the point. That would be a major eyesore. :pinch:

Oh and personally I'd just donate the base amount. I don't care much about the extras - heck I haven't opened up my blog yet.

I voted $15 - I wouldn't pay much more, and that's not anything against Neowin - it's just that I need to save money for more worthwhile things. I voted $50 for a subscription with no ads, but only because there isn't a 'I wouldn't want a no ads subscription'. The ads are so subtle most of the time, I find it hard to believe why people would pay so much money for it. Also, about subscription extras - I couldn't care about those. I don't use the blog features at all (although I did do a test post when the service first opened, but I soon closed the blog).

I voted $15 - I wouldn't pay much more, and that's not anything against Neowin - it's just that I need to save money for more worthwhile things. I voted $50 for a subscription with no ads, but only because there isn't a 'I wouldn't want a no ads subscription'. The ads are so subtle most of the time, I find it hard to believe why people would pay so much money for it. Also, about subscription extras - I couldn't care about those. I don't use the blog features at all (although I did do a test post when the service first opened, but I soon closed the blog).

I would like to know then why did you subscribe in the first place? Just to help the site to keep going?

I would like to know then why did you subscribe in the first place? Just to help the site to keep going?

Yeah, exactly - I subscribe to contribute to the site, as it costs a lot to run and the staff put a lot of effort into the site (yes, I know the moderators and so forth don't get paid, but you know what I mean :p). I doubt I would pay any more than $20 because I don't really have the money to spend a lot on a subscription (which, with no offense to Neowin, isn't on my priority list of things to buy). I just want to contribute, and I don't do it for the services that Neowin lay on (although my PM box does have over 100 messages in it!).

Yeah. Thats what I was wondering. If I had money then I would have done that too... I may use the blog though. I have no money now though!

i subscribed because of certain annoyances for me.

everytime i wanted to search something, i would click 'active posts' by accident or something else, and have to wait 10 seconds or so to do my search, then wait to do another....

also my pm's keep filling up =\

I don't think I'd shell out over NZ$100 just to remove a few ads that never get in my way anyway. But I know some people would...so that's ok :)

To be honest I'd definitely pay $6-8 for just the subscriber tag and remove the flood delay. The blog (to me personally) useless, increased attachment/inbox a bit useless, exclusive forum useless (but I don't know what goes on in there), and other added features I did not mention, probably useless since I don't know about it. Then perhaps a bit more ($15 as many suggested) for the complete package, and ditching out anything over $20/25 for ad-less experience is pretty much a rip considering extensions and other workarounds.

I probably shouldn't be talking as I'm still not subscribed but I reckon you can go pretty high ( $ 50 ) for an ad-free Neowin. However, only a few people are bothered by them and they are mostly - not all - people who do not contribute a lot to the site. Will they be willing to pay $ 50?

People who have been here 1,2 or more years never minded the ads and still don't. I don't reckon they will pay $ 50 to have the site ad-free but they'd rather pay as support.

I'm fine with paying $15 dollars and nothing more.

<---- I just wanted that badass gold banner under my name. Oh yeah!

I wouldn't mind paying 20$ but I can't cause in India its tough to pay money online, as the lines here aren't very secure. Ad-free version seems a tad stupid, but I'd go with 60$.

im fine with the price I paid, whatever it was. wouldn't pay more for ad-less. I don't use any of the features that come with a subscriber status, only reason I did it was cause I been on the site a while, confident i've ripped a decent amount of their bandwidth and I felt the owners deserved a beer on me.

"I'd pay $60 and probably donate a bit more"

If:

- Filetype restrictions on attachments are removed. I think it's silly that I can't attach a .bat or .vbs, but I can zip it up and attach it. What's the point?

- Ratings system is overhauled. At the moment, it's practically useless.

- Slashdot-like comment rating+viewing is implemented. Urgently needed, to wade through the sea of useless comments one comes across in a thread. We want quality over quantity.

I tried to vote for only the $20 option, but that wasn't really allowed.

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

You did not choose a poll choice to vote against. Please go back and ensure you click on one of the radio buttons next to the choice you wish to vote for.

Anyway... I would pay $15 for a basic, and $20 for ad-free. I think a $5 increase is appropriate, considering that the current ads really aren't obtrusive. Do you guys really make so much from ads that you would have to have as high as $50 for ad-free (yes I realize this mainly goes toward paying for your gigantic bandwidth fees)?

The Ad-Free MUST be life-time. And have more "features" than just Ad-Free.

Neowin is good, but I don't see myself paying more to surf Neowin Ad-Free than a sub of Object Desktop (35$/Yrs).

I'd pay $20 for normal subscription, but I don't mind the adds so I wouldn't be prepared to spend over $30

I was going to subscribe a few months ago, but then noticed that the $10 I thought I was going to pay was actually $15, so I didn't. Money is extremely tight atm, so I'm kind of glad that I didn't then, but that doesn't rule out a future possibility. $10 would be a sweet spot for me, unless I had more money to dish out.

I agree. Money is tight for me too, and $10 sounds perfect.