[Official] Diablo III

I am generally more into gameplay and storyline/campaigns than the graphics, however I think after so many years without a followup people expect more. I mean look at Starcraft2, looks just as cartoony and practically the same as the original just add polish. I can see where people are coming from with the same criticisms of D3.

Thats not to say that the game wont be a success and I am sure there are plenty of ppl out there who will love the game regardless of the graphics - as many on this thread have already suggested - however, to an extent I think with popular games like this people like to see an evolution of graphics as well ie WC2 > WC3. How many people winged about that upgrade as well -So you cant win eitherway. I'm just saying I think its understandable why theres some criticisms and there will be more if the game doesnt get released till late 09 or early 2010 given the leaps and bounds in PC graphics and the cheap costs of good cards these days. Fact is people expect the whole package from a game, and with the money you pay for a game and with all the specs of our computing power these days, graphics are and will continue to be a big consideration for people.

I personally can't wait for this title!! Only 8 years in the making, hehe.

I am generally more into gameplay and storyline/campaigns than the graphics, however I think after so many years without a followup people expect more. I mean look at Starcraft2, looks just as cartoony and practically the same as the original just add polish. I can see where people are coming from with the same criticisms of D3.

Thats not to say that the game wont be a success and I am sure there are plenty of ppl out there who will love the game regardless of the graphics - as many on this thread have already suggested - however, to an extent I think with popular games like this people like to see an evolution of graphics as well ie WC2 > WC3. How many people winged about that upgrade as well -So you cant win eitherway. I'm just saying I think its understandable why theres some criticisms and there will be more if the game doesnt get released till late 09 or early 2010 given the leaps and bounds in PC graphics and the cheap costs of good cards these days. Fact is people expect the whole package from a game, and with the money you pay for a game and with all the specs of our computing power these days, graphics are and will continue to be a big consideration for people.

This time, next year, will anyone give a crap or even talk about Chrysis? You think anyone will be playing Chrysis 8 years from now, as people do with Diablo 2?

I think not.

Blizzard make great games practically anyone, with any system, can play and enjoy...not just the uber min/max computer nerds that put great thought into overclocking their ram....

^Its Crysis not Chrysis and I agree with what you say.

The people complaining about the visuals: Have you ever played Diablo II?

The game is still awesome even though the graphics look crap, I've even started playing it again and its very addictive.

I think the character trailer got me way more excited about the game than the cinematic (although that was brilliant), it looks like a massive improvement on D2 and the amount of enemies seems to have risen, which is even better!

Also the visuals don't look like D2, they are far better especially since D2 could only run at 800x600. I think they could give the textures more detail, but if its still in early development then you can't expect the textures/lighting etc... to be perfect. Also it looks like its got bloom on, which i prefer off, since in my opinion it makes it look less detailed :)

I'd liike to avoid personal attacks here..... could the "uncultured gentlemen" please stop using the phrase "2.5D", that is unless they can come up with a scientific explanation of how anything, anything at all, could ever possibly use only half a dimension? Thank you.

calling me uncultured is a personal attack and nobody ever said i was operating in half a dimension :rolleyes: how about you realize you are on the internet and you need to learn how to interpret a phrase based on it's context instead of taking everything out of context and then processing it literally? Thank you.

it's called 2.5D because although it technically 3D, we never get fully immersed in the 3D"ness" and only see it as 2D from up above. we experience it half way, therefore 2.5D

kkthnxbye

Name the last time Blizzard put out a game that wasn't a massive success? Heck, just name one.
i never said it wouldn't be a success

after reading the Q&A's and seeing another video i'm looking forward to it a little more than i was earlier. i still kinda disappointed because i was hoping blizz would make something "different" instead of going with the "don't fix it if it's not broken" way of doing buisness though

and because of this announcement i ran off and installed diablo 2 on my PC.

i am absolutely thrilled that they have announced this.

3D... I am not impressed.

yeah, it should have been in 4D. or would you rather 2D?

i don't understand how this wouldn't be impressive. they took what works and revamped it.

are you impressed by starcraft 2? i'm guessing no since they have done practically the same thing as diablo 3 and vice versa.

yeah, it should have been in 4D. or would you rather 2D?

i don't understand how this wouldn't be impressive. they took what works and revamped it.

are you impressed by starcraft 2? i'm guessing no since they have done practically the same thing as diablo 3 and vice versa.

technically it is 2d, its just a flat computer screen displaying an image :-0

anywho, I loved diablo 2, and this looks like a GREAT follow up, with sold gameplay. Trapassn ftw. I also call first dibs on finding the first WindForce, and Zod runes.

my major concern is the hue saturation everywhere. why would a room, lit with candles, have a green hue'ish glow and no red or orange light anywhere?

from the D2 forums

itshouldrh5.jpg

some more here http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=668027

When they first released the SC2 screenshots they got a huge backlash from the community about the cartoonish looks and reduced the color saturation, and it looks like they are going to get another one from the D2 community. hopefully they'll listen to the community like they did with SC2

this is a game about Diablo and deamons and hell. it should be dark, firey and bloody not random happy blue / green glowy walls everywhere

Color hue should be easily adjustable. In any case, I watched the gameplay video and it doesn't really look cartoonish or what.... on the contrary, I think it captures the essence of Diablo 2 perfectly in terms of atmosphere, or even better since the outdoor landscape now really looks much more vivid, and dungeons don't really look like all the same anymore.

This is a great kind of 3D for this game. Many complainers seem to have no understanding of how this game needs to sell. It's part of a franchise, and if it's going to live up to--and expand on--the Diablo sort of success, it can't move too far away from the original style of the game. A 3D world with a fixed top-down camera? That'll be more than fine. A part of me would like it if the environment could be rotated, even if just in 90 degree units, but I've gotta be honest: the charm that adds to games is usually destroyed by designers that become obsessed with making 2/3 of the game's content hidden 'behind' things, forcing you to rotate constantly so as not to miss anything. And with fully rendered 3D, we won't be limited to preset resolutions like in past games.

One thing jumping out to me in the gameplay video was the background music. My memory might just be fuzzy, but did D2 have gameplay music that overwhel--er, epic? At least games pretty much always have an on/off switch for music.

As a side note, now that the unlikely D3 has just become entirely likely, what does that say about another company's baby: the unlikely Duke Nukem Forever? ;D

P.S. I feel the need to reiterate: if Blizzard had made this game fully-immersive camera-at-your-back 3D, there would be thousands upon thousands of nostalgic Diablo fans angry or disappointed all across the internet, and I guarantee the number one post on forums everywhere would be that Blizzard turned Diablo into WoW. People would feel like Blizzard abandoned what made Diablo great in an attempt to reinvent the wheel, and if there were ANY shortcomings at all to the gameplay, quite a few people would be quick to blame the focus on a new engine. Blizzard was absolutely smart about this.

I must say that the cinnematic trailor was awesome. I can't recall the last time I have seen ANY animation come as close to real as that one was.

A part of me would like it if the environment could be rotated, even if just in 90 degree units

At the point where the witchdoctor character appears in the demo if I remember right he zoomed in on the character. To me that indicates some level of camera control. I'd be suprised if you can't zoom and rotate the camera to be honest.

Ethereal titans or ethereal cruel javalins of replenishment on a cow level anyone? Oh ya.. in 3d! :)

Also love to have a teleporting PVP barb with 2x grandfathers or cruel col. blades.. :)

This might prevent me from getting married! :(

Fun.

Edited by dtomilson

Today was the best day of 2008 for me. I got up, fire my comp and go check Gametrailers as I always do, and the first thing I see is the d3 teaser, I almost wet my pants. After watching that breath taking cinematic and getting $50 out of my wallet so save them for the game and watched the gameplay trailer.

The first thing I though was that it looked like titan quest but with demons and darker setting, now that alone is a reason for me to buy it xD, I loved TQ. After watching the barb take on hordes of enemies I was just amazed on how cool the game looks, in what I assume, is like an alpha build. It's just gonna get better from what we saw on those trailers!

What I loved the most is that they kept the camera. 3d camera? f- that, want a 3rd-person view? go play wow, hellgate: london or any mmo out there. IMO the camera and the point and clic gameplay is one of the most important parts of what makes diablo what it is, and thank god they kept it like it was before.

In the end this game will own! don't like it? well, don't play it then.

So...freaking...happy. Im really looking forward to this game now. :D

I don't really care that the graphics aren't super realistic either, i think it looks good but then again im easily pleased. I also think that people put too much emphasis on graphics *cough* Crysis *cough*, it looked really good but i thought the actual gameplay was rubbish, same with Farcry actually.

Does anyone have any idea on a release date? Would sometime in 2009 be a good bet?

Perspective, like Oblivion or Mass Effect....

It's still 3D even if it has a fixed camera. Anyway the camera did zoom in and move at one point in the video (watch for them doing a zoom in on the witchdoctor when he is introduced mid way in). It certainly isn't a flat terrain with 3D models on it.

diablo2 was great but i continue to prefer Diablo 1, for me the darker environments in pair with "darker" background music was what were great and i really missed in Diablo 2 (i confess that after a while i only could play Diablo2 having the Diablo 1 sound in the background)

has of Diablo 3 if they make the dungens Diablo 1 style (darker, scary, etc etc) i'm sold :D

for the ones that say that diablo 3 has poor graphics my post probably scared you for me preferring diablo 1, with that graphics you probably think i'm crazy but go play it, in the end like all of us "old guys" you will see it like you probably see today crysis :p