Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League 2008/09  

375 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Barclays Premier League 2008/09?

• Arsenal
    • Aston Villa
    • Chelsea
    • Everton
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester City
    • Manchester United
    • Portsmouth
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • Other
  2. 2. Who be relegated from the Barclays Premier League 2008/09 (select 3)?

• Blackburn Rovers
    • Bolton Wanderers
    • Fulham
    • Hull City
    • Middlesbrough
    • Stoke City
    • Sunderland
    • West Bromwich Albian
    • Wigan Athletic
    • Other
  3. 3. Who will be top scorer in the Barclays Premier League 2008/09?

• Benjani
    • Cesc Fabregas
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Didier Drogba
    • Emmanuel Adebayor
    • Fernando Torres
    • Frank Lampard
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Roque Santa Cruz
    • Other

Slur Alex being hypocritical? Noooo...

Everyone knows that if you are playing against Man Utd, Sir Alex will give a cheeky wink to the referee for every minute of extra time he wants added on.

There are also statistics to back the referee bias towards Man Utd up, I think there have only been three penalties awarded at Old Trafford against Man Utd in the last ten years, or a ridiculously similar figure.

but, to get back to the Terry issue, i read on the beeb that the ref said he had sent him off for serious foul play "But Halsey's decision to issue a red card for serious foul play rather than a professional foul meant the position on the pitch and the presence of other players were not relevant. " so it should not have been overturned

Dunno, is it the same for home games? It also depends what 'band' of membership you are on at Spurs - for the higher band tickets go on sale earlier, there are like 5 bands as well - Lilywhite, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum - mostly going on sale at different times, and only after that does it go on general sale.

I'm sure your sis will love it, lets hope for her that Keano's drought doesn't continue :whistle: :D

I was talking about the home games! At Liverpool we don't have all the colour coded memberships, but things are beginning to change with the American's in charge.

Originally, you could lash a postal in or phone up 18 days before the match. You could also go down to the ticket office I think from 15 days before the match, but the tickets are normally all gone by then. If you have a Fancard (which cost like ?2.50 [cost to manufacture them], and apparently it would be the only card you would need for life), you could order tickets online 18 days before the match, but only a limited amount of tickets are made available. We also have the PTS (Priority Ticket Scheme) which costs ?55 a season, and allows you to get first dibs on tickets 23 days before the match.

However, just like the season ticket waiting list which I am on (and to put that into more context, there are 50,000 people on the waiting list, and only 2 people gave up their season ticket last season), there is a waiting list for the PTS scheme which I am also on, however that is only a approx 2 year waiting list.

The American's have gone back on their promise and introduced a new membership scheme which is replacing the old "free" Fancard (the only card you ever need apparently), and this costs ?29 a season and gives you exactly the same benefits of the Fancard. It is a disgrace.

Slur Alex being hypocritical? Noooo...

Everyone knows that if you are playing against Man Utd, Sir Alex will give a cheeky wink to the referee for every minute of extra time he wants added on.

There are also statistics to back the referee bias towards Man Utd up, I think there have only been three penalties awarded at Old Trafford against Man Utd in the last ten years, or a ridiculously similar figure.

that backs nothing up. what counts is number of penalties given compared to those that should have been given. How many penalties have been given against arsenal, liverpool and chelsea at home? Not many is my guess.

As for the red card, didnt be beeb say unless they could proove it didnt warrent any card, the red would stand so how they did that is beyond me

I was talking about the home games! At Liverpool we don't have all the colour coded memberships, but things are beginning to change with the American's in charge.

Originally, you could lash a postal in or phone up 18 days before the match. You could also go down to the ticket office I think from 15 days before the match, but the tickets are normally all gone by then. If you have a Fancard (which cost like ?2.50 [cost to manufacture them], and apparently it would be the only card you would need for life), you could order tickets online 18 days before the match, but only a limited amount of tickets are made available. We also have the PTS (Priority Ticket Scheme) which costs ?55 a season, and allows you to get first dibs on tickets 23 days before the match.

However, just like the season ticket waiting list which I am on (and to put that into more context, there are 50,000 people on the waiting list, and only 2 people gave up their season ticket last season), there is a waiting list for the PTS scheme which I am also on, however that is only a approx 2 year waiting list.

The American's have gone back on their promise and introduced a new membership scheme which is replacing the old "free" Fancard (the only card you ever need apparently), and this costs ?29 a season and gives you exactly the same benefits of the Fancard. It is a disgrace.

thats not good to hear... cause i am planning on coming to england next august to see a game. you are going to have to help me out there marty...

thats not good to hear... cause i am planning on coming to england next august to see a game. you are going to have to help me out there marty...

Might have to make do with seeing Gillingham or something in the FA cup - tickets - especially to the big games - are like gold dust most of the time!! :pinch:

Might have to make do with seeing Gillingham or something in the FA cup - tickets - especially to the big games - are like gold dust most of the time!! :pinch:

Your money won't be able to buy a ticket at QPR ;)

that backs nothing up. what counts is number of penalties given compared to those that should have been given. How many penalties have been given against arsenal, liverpool and chelsea at home? Not many is my guess.

As for the red card, didnt be beeb say unless they could proove it didnt warrent any card, the red would stand so how they did that is beyond me

What are stats there for if you cannot use them to back up an opinion? I'm not a stats nut, and I can't even be arsed researching it, so I am just going off something I read a while ago online.

You are right that not many penalties are given against the big teams when they are playing at home. But, what I am trying to say though, is that full solar eclipses are more common than an opposition team obtaining a penalty at OT.

I'm still annoyed about that penalty Chelsea were wrongly given at Anfield last season, we would have won otherwise.

If you are coming in August mate, your options might be limited, as we could only have the one game at home during August depending on how the fixture list works out.

If you are definitely coming over you'll need to do a fair bit of research before hand, because like Farsight said, tickets are the equivalent of gold dust for most games these days because if you do not like football in England you are quite rightly defined as "weird" :p

I know that there are a lot of threads in the Ticket Forum on RAWK from people who are looking to do what you are doing which could help you out.

You are right that not many penalties are given against the big teams when they are playing at home. But, what I am trying to say though, is that full solar eclipses are more common than an opposition team obtaining a penalty at OT.

Yes we've had more penalties than the opposition at OT, the big reason to that is we've probably spent more time attacking than the opposition. Using the number of penalties *given* means nothing without knowing how many *should* have.

Yeh, I actually totally agree with Mike, it seems that you're giving into your United hating demons...

There is no point in arguing about how many penalties are given, most of the statistics are just rubbish in the first place.

If there is a statistic against the top 4 then, rival fans will obviously use it. Football has millions of trends, millions of useless ones, and just using them to back up your kind of opinion is all too rife on boards like 606.

And away from that topic, how about the big game on Sunday...

Has everyone gone mad, it seems that everyone thinks we're gonna get steamrollered! Seriously, nobody can rule us out. It has been 3 games, there's no place to judge the performances yet. We'll see at the end of the season what happens. Chelsea do look good, but what would a couple of chances give or take turn to...

You could say that Chelsea have been poor and United been on fire... Certainly United haven't been poor, I actually think that what they've lacked is an actual formation and understanding, but certainly they do look like

bagging goals.

SAF thrives on this type of game, and I can only hope that he can do it again.

rofl @ stoke drawing with liverpool

To be fair, Stoke are no mugs. Good hard working team and were well organised today. They have been tipped my most of the pundits on various shows to avoid the drop, and I think they have more of a chance of staying up than Hull or WBA. They are not at all a bad side.

Pool had very little penetration though today, and are going to have to find some goals from somewhere if they want to mount a serious challenge to Man USA or Chelski. I must admit I am taking pleasure from Keano's lack of form - but god we could do with him at spurs right now :pinch:

Yes we've had more penalties than the opposition at OT, the big reason to that is we've probably spent more time attacking than the opposition. Using the number of penalties *given* means nothing without knowing how many *should* have.
Yeh, I actually totally agree with Mike, it seems that you're giving into your United hating demons...

There is no point in arguing about how many penalties are given, most of the statistics are just rubbish in the first place.

I don't mean it in the way you lads are taking it, and I know that because of the reply Mike gave.

The top four teams came be more or less be placed in the same boundary, and because of this they can be more accurately compared.

All I am trying to say, is that if you compare the penalties given to the opposition at OT, Stamford Bridge, Anfield and The Emirates/Highbury, there is a big big difference in penalties given at OT.

Another interesting stat I found the other day, was that since the start of February if you draw a league table of the games since then, Liverpool are top of the league. It just goes to show though, stats can be manipulated...but in this case, a rather nice way.

rofl @ stoke drawing with liverpool

Nice post. Funny I never caught you saying "rofl @ man u losing to liverpool" last week ;)

I went to the Stoke game, and I am still very baffled and ****ed off. It was a strange, strange game in a way. We started well, and 2 minutes in we "scored". I had a good view of this from where I was sat and at the time the only reason I could see that Gerrard's freekick was ruled out was because Kuyt/Skrtel managed to get a touch at the far post making it offside (from the angle I was at, they could have), but obviously they never got a touch and it was absurd refereeing yet again.

I feel that if that goal was given we would have gone on to rout Stoke for five or six. For the rest of the game though, Stoke had 11 men behind the ball, defended deep, and time wasted all game. We dominated them, but could not get a goal. It was so frustrating, we probably had around 30 shots, but the majority of them sailed into the crowd.

Massive credit should be given to the Stoke fans, they are the loudest away fans I have heard at Anfield.

<snip>

Massive credit should be given to the Stoke fans, they are the loudest away fans I have heard at Anfield.

:&: It's just like watching Brazil :&:

Because you struggled to put the ball in the net!

I saw some of the highlights, you were unlucky but also pretty poor. Couldn't you get Stoke on the counter or something?

Can Salif Diao run anymore?

Because you struggled to put the ball in the net!

I saw some of the highlights, you were unlucky but also pretty poor. Couldn't you get Stoke on the counter or something?

Can Salif Diao run anymore?

The idea of the counter attack is to attack the other side after you have won the ball back when they have been attacking you! Seeing as Stoke literally had 11 men behind the ball all game, it was a case of try and find an opening which never happened.

We are lacking a Deco like player to do this for us.