Many PS3 owners complain of Firmware 2.40 freezes

A bevy of threads has popped up on the US PlayStation boards showing Firmware 2.40 is causing what appears to be a slew of lock-ups. Look here, here and here.

This thread on Eurogamer also complains of the same thing: after installing the update, some are experiencing an irrecoverable freeze at the ?waves? part of the system?s boot-up.

We?re contacting Sony now.

Source

2.41 next week...

Yep :rolleyes:

No issues here so far.

By the way, custom themes are a large culprit for lock ups right now because the layout has changed/extra has been added to the XMB. Don't use custom themes till they are updated - Wallpapers are ok.

Edited by Audioboxer

hmm so am i playing with fire if i download it? now i'm second guessing if i shoudl get it or not :(

Not at all. Its fine.

for all i know thats what someone said to the people with the issues! lol

i'll likely download it. i bet theres some sort of commonality between the small percentage of users who are experiencing freezes. i don't have a whole lot on my ps3 yet since i've only had it for about 2 weeks now. i'm really happy with it!

Just don't use a custom theme from the internet. I've had no problems at all

glad I read this thread first.... I def have been using custom icons... so.. ill just set it back to default and then update....

glad I read this thread first.... I def have been using custom icons... so.. ill just set it back to default and then update....

It would still have updated fine, but you may or may not have had instabilities after.

I think it's because they've added the XMB into games, and also added a new icon to the XMB (google search icon).

That's the word on the internet though, it might not be the themes causing lock ups.

You can't use PSN without updating, catch 22.

oh i didn't know that. i guess that makes sense. i could still play my games though if i decided to wait right? i'm not a heavy user of the PSN (aka. no friends on my list, etc) since i'm new to the system.

Just don't use a custom theme from the internet. I've had no problems at all

good advice thanks! :) i checked out a couple of the custom ones but i liked the original one the best so far so that works out for me :D

You gotta love how Sony cripples all online functions until you update. Bastards..

It's the same with anything like this. The 360 does the same, as does the Wii.

You gotta love how Sony cripples all online functions until you update. Bastards..

Well I think it would be pretty unstable/incompatible people running around online with different firmwares :p

Only the hackers stay on low firmware revisions :shifty:

I think it's because they've added the XMB into games, and also added a new icon to the XMB (google search icon).

+ the new Power Off icon

Any update has the potential to have issues as not everything or everyone have the same XYZ on their system, and this applies to all companies in general. I'm sure when the dust settles down and everything matures it should be fine.

Scirwode

yeah, I'm expecting 2.41 to be by the end of the month.

mainly 'cuase I feel the in-game XMB is a bit laggy at times. Not the 2-3 sec it takes to laod the icons.. but just feels stiff moving around at times.

Luckly I've had no issues with 2.4 :D (yet?)

+ the new Power Off icon
I did notice that aswell.
Hadn't noticed that yet :laugh:

yeah.. it is kind of in an unvisited area of the XMB :p

I would have never seen it if others didn't point it out.

Where is this magical power off icon? I want to see (and cba to go hunting for it :p)!

Under users (Y)