Many PS3 owners complain of Firmware 2.40 freezes

glad I read this thread first.... I def have been using custom icons... so.. ill just set it back to default and then update....

+1

They should have a big warning sign before the update starts.

+1

They should have a big warning sign before the update starts.

or automatically revert back to the default ones when the FW was installed

It's not confirmed the themes do anything wrong, and as I said the update will run and work, and themes will work after the update is installed.

At the moment it's just a rumour themes MIGHT be causing instabilities...

I use the Ratchet and Clank theme and have had no problems when updating. BTW, the solution to this 'freeze' problem is to remove the hard drive (and possibly even reformat it).

BTW, the solution to this 'freeze' problem is to remove the hard drive (and possibly even reformat it).

hhm... seems a bit harsh of a solution to me...

It's not confirmed the themes do anything wrong, and as I said the update will run and work, and themes will work after the update is installed.

At the moment it's just a rumour themes MIGHT be causing instabilities...

It wouldn't surprise me if it is the themes. The icons are incorrect with custom themes, so I've gone back to the standard Sony theme and it actually runs better.

Themes WILL work, however side effects range from missing icons (a ? mark is visible instead) and potential freezing which is rumoured to be a side effect of incompatible themes.

I guess it depends on what your theme changes. Some themes may only change the wallpaper, or add a custom sound, but leave the default XMB bar untouched.

I'm using one of my themes and it works fine, no problems at all. :blink:

Audioboxer pretty much came up with his assumption that it was themes that was causing it. It could be anything, just have to wait and see!

Mine locked up once. I'm not even using a theme. Hooray for testing :rolleyes:

They would have tested it. Random issues are part and parcel of technology.

Audioboxer pretty much came up with his assumption that it was themes that was causing it. It could be anything, just have to wait and see!

Reports from online, I don't use themes myself.

No freeze ups for me but i had noticed that XMB is rather sluggish / laggy after the update.

The icons take a good 5 seconds to load using in-game xmb... no themes for me.

WTF! They pulled it? Thats the first time I've ever seen that happen.

Well, they actually added features this time around, so that must've confused them :laugh: