Not using the air blast is hardly a risk, did you forget the button that causes actual damage for the pyro is mouse button 1?

A risk is something which puts you in danger.

Not being able to move at all for 4 seconds is a risk.

Getting a free 50hp for doing nothing is not a risk.

And yeah, of course you can find spots to idle for 4 seconds, but you can bet most of the time they'll be hiding spots, not out in the open in the middle of enemy sight.

What is your problem, man? You're always so hostile. No s**** the button to cause damage is mouse button one -- thank you for that never-ending supply of rude commentary. So, with your logic, any heavy who needs to use the sandvich only needs to know that the button to cause damage is mouse button 1.

Not being able to use the air blast is a MAJOR risk. You have no way to defend against rockets or stickies in that case. That is most definitely a risk.

Getting a free 50hp for not being able to defend against rockets and mines is definitely a risk/reward system, Audio.

And no crap they'll be hiding spots -- do you really expect anyone to do that out in the open? It's the same time as a taunt. That's way too short.

What is your problem, man? You're always so hostile. No s**** the button to cause damage is mouse button one -- thank you for that never-ending supply of rude commentary. So, with your logic, any heavy who needs to use the sandvich only needs to know that the button to cause damage is mouse button 1.

Not being able to use the air blast is a MAJOR risk. You have no way to defend against rockets or stickies in that case. That is most definitely a risk.

Getting a free 50hp for not being able to defend against rockets and mines is definitely a risk/reward system, Audio.

And no crap they'll be hiding spots -- do you really expect anyone to do that out in the open? It's the same time as a taunt. That's way too short.

Hostile?

What on earth?

I'm disagreeing with what you're saying, that's all.

You're the one bringing out the cursing.

I recall you getting very worked up previously in this thread with anyone who disagreed the pyro wasn't underpowered, and was overpowered when they had +50hp.

Really, I don't care any more, Valve made one the most balanced games EVER and I know they'll keep it balanced.

My whole point with the mouse button 1 comment was you can still attack without the air blast absolutely fine (when using backburner), you're still a threat, but when you're eating a sandvich you can't attack or do anything at all, no threat - That's a real risk IMO.

There's no risk involved with getting +50hp automatically when you spawn, therefore no balance of risk/reward.

UPDATE RELEASED... START TF2

Fixed weapon switching preventing you from using secondary attacks for a 0.2s window after the primary became available

Fixed a loophole that allowed players to pickup weapons of other classes

First one: noticed that a couple of times.

Second one: dang it. :p I found it weird I could get some propane back into my backburner by collecting rockets. :laugh:

Really, I don't care any more, Valve made one the most balanced games EVER and I know they'll keep it balanced.

Agreed.

Honestly, can we at least appreciate for a moment that a nineteen dollar game gets *this* amount of post release support, NUMEROUS and FREQUENT automatic updates, and attention from a developer who merely asks us to pay once, and no more? Pretty damn good for a non subscriber-based game that inherits updates like other subscription based MMOs.

What kind of system specs do you have?

I built a new computer in April and I noticed a huge jump. I was usually last in, now i'm always first. I think the hard drive speed can be a deciding factor. My old computer had IDE drives and my new one has SATA drives. I also have a Core 2 and 4GB of ram, but yea.

I mean when I first connect to the server, not when the server is changing map - because there I'm usually first too. It just takes so ****ing long to connect a server when you first click on it in the Steam servers list, cos you have to wait soooooo long for the Messages "Conencting to server' 'Sending Client info' to finish.

Hostile?

What on earth?

I'm disagreeing with what you're saying, that's all.

You're the one bringing out the cursing.

I recall you getting very worked up previously in this thread with anyone who disagreed the pyro wasn't underpowered, and was overpowered when they had +50hp.

My whole point with the mouse button 1 comment was you can still attack without the air blast absolutely fine (when using backburner), you're still a threat, but when you're eating a sandvich you can't attack or do anything at all, no threat - That's a real risk IMO.

There's no risk involved with getting +50hp automatically when you spawn, therefore no balance of risk/reward.

Audio, please don't patronize me.

"Not using the air blast is hardly a risk, did you forget the button that causes actual damage for the pyro is mouse button 1?"

Please, if that wasn't flame bait I don't know what is. Forget it, though, I'm not going to degrade this topic for you.

(There's also no risk in getting a free health gift of 120 for using a taunt.)

Oh, two things:

For those with the slow load times, have you tried defragging your gcf files?

http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

There is a defrag tool built into the Steam client, but this program will actually help some. Some of the files are big, so it may take awhile. Give it a shot, it maybe give you some improvement.

Do you find Steam's defragger effective than other 3rd party defraggers? I defrag my games partition using Perfectdisk, yet Steam occasionally complains about <6% fragmentation in the game cache files.

I mean when I first connect to the server, not when the server is changing map - because there I'm usually first too. It just takes so ****ing long to connect a server when you first click on it in the Steam servers list, cos you have to wait soooooo long for the Messages "Conencting to server' 'Sending Client info' to finish.

Doesn't seem abnormal to me. I get the same behaviour on my machine.

Like D!ABOL!C, upon subsequent loads of the map on the same server, I end up being one of the first to spawn.

The one performance-related problem that I really hate is the game occasionally going in a sound loop when a new sound is being played. Don't know if it's either Vista's problem, Creative's problem, or the Source engine's long standing sound looping problem.

As additional info, I have a C2D Q6600 and 8800 GT machine with the game set on a WD5000AAKS HD, and AHCI is enabled.

Audio, please don't patronize me.

"Not using the air blast is hardly a risk, did you forget the button that causes actual damage for the pyro is mouse button 1?"

Please, if that wasn't flame bait I don't know what is. Forget it, though, I'm not going to degrade this topic for you.

(There's also no risk in getting a free health gift of 120 for using a taunt.)

It's a blunt statement to make a point, not flaming.

You compared not being able to do anything for four seconds and not being able to use an alternative fire button in terms of risk, which I think is wrong.

I don't want any topic degraded.

Anyway have fun playing the update (Y)

"You compared not being able to do anything for four seconds and not being able to use an alternative fire button in terms of risk, which I think is wrong."

Are you kidding me? Not being able to use a button and not being able to deflect rockets and other projectiles back at an enemy are an enormous difference. You make it sound as if you can't press a button that does nothing, which is simply not the case. Not being able to defend against projectiles is a very big trade-off.

"You compared not being able to do anything for four seconds and not being able to use an alternative fire button in terms of risk, which I think is wrong."

Are you kidding me? Not being able to use a button and not being able to deflect rockets and other projectiles back at an enemy are an enormous difference. You make it sound as if you can't press a button that does nothing, which is simply not the case. Not being able to defend against projectiles is a very big trade-off.

Well use the normal flame thrower then if it means that much to you! :blink:

You have a choice for a reason - It's not like you CAN'T use the airblast, you're making it sound like the airblast has been taken out the game or can't be used unlimitedly (which it can, it's only bound to ammo).

When you eat a sandvich you have no choice, you're a sitting duck for 4 seconds, then another 1~2 seconds till the minigun powers up again.

Well use the normal flame thrower then if it means that much to you! :blink:

You have a choice for a reason - It's not like you CAN'T use the airblast, you're making it sound like the airblast has been taken out the game or can't be used unlimitedly (which it can, it's only bound to ammo).

When you eat a sandvich you have no choice, you're a sitting duck for 4 seconds, then another 1~2 seconds till the minigun powers up again.

Audio, you don't seem to comprehend: that was part of the trade-off. Having the extra health and a critical chance versus being able to deflect any enemy projectile aimed at you.

You don't have to be a sitting duck for 4 seconds, Audio. You can use the shotgun if it means that much to you! :blink:

You don't have to be a sitting duck for 4 seconds, Audio. You can use the shotgun if it means that much to you! :blink:

:yes:

Which is why I don't understand the whining.

However I foresee this happening with every TF2 update as it happens with nearly every game when characters get buffs. Hi @ WoW forums.

In Valve I trust though, as I said earlier, they made one of the most balanced games ever (Y)

Audio, you don't seem to comprehend: that was part of the trade-off. Having the extra health and a critical chance versus being able to deflect any enemy projectile aimed at you.

The crit element whether or not you want to argue it works right, is quite a big boost to your flame thrower if you can be smart about attacking from behind. If you aren't use the normal flame thrower and the axetinguisher.

I use backburner should I be on defence... it's amazing fun to drop off the battlements on 2fort behind a uber'd heavy, wait for his uber to wear off and CRIT his ass back to his spawn point.

I use the normal flamethrower for storming the bridge, great for sending rockets and stickies away so my guys can storm in and take down the sentries and get the intel.

Really I find it a tactical choice more than personal, perhaps it's with playing COD4 for so long, I pick my guns carefully and know when to change.

It's PERSONAL CHOICE, some people like Marshite some don't simple as that ;)

I use backburner should I be on defence... it's amazing fun to drop off the battlements on 2fort behind a uber'd heavy, wait for his uber to wear off and CRIT his ass back to his spawn point.

If you're lucky, after/backburner + axtinguisher also works ;)

I do admit to be a bit of a noob sometimes by mindlessly setting heavies on fire and pitifully chasing after him with the axtinguisher when the heavy has a buddy medic and a few teammates beside him. :blush:

:yes:

Which is why I don't understand the whining.

However I foresee this happening with every TF2 update as it happens with nearly every game when characters get buffs. Hi @ WoW forums.

In Valve I trust though, as I said earlier, they made one of the most balanced games ever (Y)

The crit element whether or not you want to argue it works right, is quite a big boost to your flame thrower if you can be smart about attacking from behind. If you aren't use the normal flame thrower and the axetinguisher.

Actually, it does not work right. There is horrible hit detection with the back, as I've explained to you before. It's not a big boost if it fails to work. And even still, that does not make up for the lack of defense you get from not being able to defend against projectiles. They needed to make it +25.

Actually, it does not work right. There is horrible hit detection with the back, as I've explained to you before. It's not a big boost if it fails to work. And even still, that does not make up for the lack of defense you get from not being able to defend against projectiles. They needed to make it +25.

If you can't defend by using the backburner efficiently, use the normal flame thrower and airblast.

The Pyro is an attacking class, not a defensive class anyway (Valve clearly point that out) - If you want to soak up damage in defence play a Heavy (Y)

We don't need a class that can not only soak up damage in defence, but is lighting quick and can soak up damage in attack. That's unbalanced.

Just like how the heavy is great in defence, but alone in attack and he's fairly prone to dyeing quickly due to slow movement.

With the Pyro healthboost, we had Pyros running into and downing SGs in attack (without medic), combined with them being a hell of a lot harder to kill in defence due to them soaking up more damage.

Eugh ****es me off no end when the first server I join the heavy there had everything unlocked. When I called him up on it he was all "I dont have time to unlock them"...

Jesus, within the first hour of it being released. Idiots.

I'm loving the new sound on the backburner, and i definitely think i'll be using it alot more on Badwater.

I've unlocked the Sandvich, and so far i can't see it being too overpowering.

Lumberyard looks awesome, but when Valve said small they really meant it.

EDIT: Any healthboost for the backburner is counter-intuitive, it would give BB Pyros an unfair advantage over standard Pyros in combat where the standard should be dominant or at least equal (Currently equal), the BB is for ambushing and NOT for general use.

EDIT 2: New blog post on http://teamfortress.com/

Edited by Athernar

Eugh ****es me off no end when the first server I join the heavy there had everything unlocked. When I called him up on it he was all "I dont have time to unlock them"...

Jesus, within the first hour of it being released. Idiots.

Did someone leave 'unlock_achievements' on again? :pinch:

How the hell do you get them that fast, any achievement server I join is padded with morons farming, and making your own bot server * i know how to make those work btw ;) * you cannot do all of them without human help from a friend.

BTW if anyone wants to help me out and I'll help back my steam id is .

Edited by Ruki

Here is my take on the update..

Arena = Fun but could get boring quick, especially when you have to sit out.

New environment (lumberyard) = Disappointing!. Map is cool, trees and Forrest scenery looks nice, however when valve mentioned there would be a completely new graphics set, i was expecting more then just some trees and grass... the buildings are the same old metal and wood.

Unlockables = Extremely disappointing! It appears the sandvich is probably the most useful, especially in arena mode. Gloves are cool, but the heavy is really too slow to take advantage of the 5 second uber after killing someone. I mean chances are if you've already been in a fight with someone with your gloves, you are low on health, what are the chances there is someone else within range that hasn't taken away the rest of your health. And last but definitely LEAST is Natascha.. completely useless, it does not appear to slow opponents down, and definitely not at the 50% suggested rate that valve claims. It doesn't look as if it does anything at all, except waste time because you only do 50% damage. Very disappointing.

New PL map = Same old stuff.. just really big.