Official Sony E3 Discussion Thread

I guess nothing came of this? Such a damn shame. My cousin and I got so excited about that. He even said he'd buy a PS3 just for a new TM game.

I guess you can at least get a bit excited for Vigilante 8 arcade, then. Not quite the same as TM, but the same kind of game.

Guess overall I could've used less of the "Well, PS3 really sucked to work with at first, but we're getting used to it" from the devs.

It reinforces things we already knew (bad support, crappy tools early on), and the part about making use of the SPU's, most of us who really care and have a bit of game programming knowledge already knew all that. Leave that for GDC.

I guess you can at least get a bit excited for Vigilante 8 arcade, then. Not quite the same as TM, but the same kind of game.
Yeah I think I remember playing the 3rd or 4th one. It was alright. I'll have to look into it.

Edit: I remember also hearing that there may be backwards compatibility through a firmware update. Anything on this?

Edited by Kreuger

Yes, it's called Huxley :)

And Avatars has only just been shown, who knows where they will take them for the rest of the 360's life and how they will expand it next generation. Not that I'm even that bothered about Home or Avatars in the first place..

Sorry, but Huxley isn't cross platform. It is multi platform. You will NOT be playing on the same servers between PC and 360.

KZ2 interview - http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html

Killzone 2 Badge System:

Rather than adhere to a rigid character class system, Killzone 2’s online mode allows the player to mix abilities from different roles to better suit his / her preferred style of play. Abilities are represented by badges: the primary badge defines the main role of the player character, as well as its outward appearance, while the secondary badge serves as a complementary ability that enhances the main role.

Although their player characters look different, both Helghast and ISA factions have the same set of roles and badges to choose from. Here they are, from left to right:

Rifleman:

The default multiplayer character is assigned when no primary badge is selected. A secondary badge may still be added. Riflemen can start with most weapons, except for the specialized ones.

Engineer:

Primary badge ability: Sets up an automated turret which targets the enemy.

Secondary badge ability: Repairs ammunition dispensers, mounted guns, and automated turrets.

Medic:

Primary badge ability: Revives downed team mates.

Secondary badge ability: Throws a health pack, which can be picked up by other players.

Scout:

Primary badge ability: Uses a cloaking suit to become near-invisible.

Secondary badge ability: Tags all on-screen enemy players with a hidden marker, which broadcasts their coordinates to team mates.

Assault:

Primary badge ability: Dons heavy armour twice as strong as normal.

Secondary badge ability: Temporarily boosts running speed.

Tactician:

Primary badge ability: Throws a coloured smoke grenade, which serves as a spawn point.

Secondary badge ability: Requests air support from a sentry bot which targets the enemy.

Saboteur:

Primary badge ability: Assumes the disguise of a randomly selected enemy player.

Secondary badge ability: Throws a sticky, proximity-activated C-4 charge.

1080p multiplayer footage - http://poseidon.dl.playstation.net/cdn/UP9...&country=us (Also on PSN)

Sorry, but Huxley isn't cross platform. It is multi platform. You will NOT be playing on the same servers between PC and 360.

Yes it is :rolleyes:

hey i really dont want to watch the whole Sony confrence, ... can someone please tell me if Home and Little Big Planet got release dates? concrete release dates? since noone is really talking about them, Id gather not?

hey i really dont want to watch the whole Sony confrence, ... can someone please tell me if Home and Little Big Planet got release dates? concrete release dates? since noone is really talking about them, Id gather not?

LBP is october, Home did not get any release information - Therefore it's still fall I presume.

Might hear more over the next day or two about Home, I hope.

im trying to watch the Sony Confrence now and its painful... WHY are they still talking about PS2!? I mean yeah its probably still a very viable console, but does that have to take center stage at their E3 Confrence?! Isnt this an opportunity to take a look at the future? and i hate how they throw numbers around like they are at a board meeting and they are trying to impress their investors! ok, other companies do this too- but that WHOLE little big planet demo was just about them showing off numbers!

I had to turn it off. I was expecting more. More GoW3, not just a teaser and absolutley no gameplay and no idea of when to expect anything!

so let me ask... did sony show off anything that can compare to the xbox live "relanuch"? I find it helarious that we may be using avatars on live before we get a crack at home! forgive me if i seem harsh, but god damn! its messed up whn both sony and nintendo fail to wow at their confrences and M$ does!

I was more than happy with Sony LBP looks amazing still as does RFOM2. Home still does not interest me at all but then I don't have to use it. I was more then happy with what the PSN is offering as well!

I'll watch it and focus on the LBP scenery etc. :p

Thanks for the link

EDIT: Haha, he definitely says Billion :rofl:

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Yes it is :rolleyes:

I'll correct my statement for you then. DC Universe is truly cross platform, not half assed like Huxley. Is that better for you? Do your research. Each platform has its own servers for huxley, but they will allow some cross interaction.

I'll correct my statement for you then. DC Universe is truly cross platform, not half assed like Huxley. Is that better for you? Do your research. Each platform has its own servers for huxley, but they will allow some cross interaction.

Yes you should correct it, I've done my research and watched Huxley since it was announced. I don't care how much interaction between the platforms there is, it's cross platform, end of story. We've still lots to hear from Webzen.

lol @ half assed. Yeah a single player campaign and 10000 players per city is really half assed :rolleyes:

It completely wipes the floor with DC Universe.

Woo...Superman, good track record of games he's appeared in eh! :o

superman64.jpg

Teh epic failz!

For anyone interested,

E3 08: Audio of roundtable with SCEA President and CEO Jack Tretton

95663-tretton-jack-photo-sony-e3.jpg

Sony was kind enough to invite us to a small roundtable discussion with Sony Computer Entertainment of America President and CEO, Jack Tretton.

The guy, apparently, is pretty important. Following yesterday's press conference -- which was hosted by Tretton -- it stands to reason that the press had a few questions. Tretton was pretty forthcoming and candid in the laid back roundtable.

Some highlights include:

* How did Sony react to the Final Fantasy XIII 360 announcement? ("Am I disappointed by it? Yeah. Am I surprised? No.")

* Are Sony feeling pressure to deliver Home after Microsoft's avatars announcement?

* What's the hold up with Home?

* The PlayStation 3 as a media center versus a gaming console. ("[We] can't deny [sony's] heritage by painting it only as a game machine," he said.)

* Is there an opportunity to turn consumers who purchased for Blu-ray into gamers?

* Digital rights management and the PlayStation video store.

* Does the movie store effectively kill off the UMD? ("I certainly hope not.")

* Have Sony thought about a hard drive or storage space solution for future iterations of the PSP?

* The discrepancy between PSP hardware sales and software sales. (Tretton cites piracy as one of three reasons.)

* Why no mention of Killzone 2 at the press conference?

* Being "Indian givers" regarding PS2 backwards compatibility on the PS3. ("You can stack [the two systems] on top of each other if you really want to," he joked, mentioning that the price point of both consoles today equals the cost of a launch PS3.)

Crank up your speakers and download the entire session a-la-podcast from our media server.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/e3-08-audio-of-...ton-95663.phtml

58 mins

Just listened to the round table event.

I gotta say Jack sounds like a decent and friendly guy to be in "charge", he's laid back and even pretty funny. He's hit with some proper questions and answers them pretty well - Acknowleding where Sony have gone wrong.

If you have an interest in Sony, or feel you've been shooting your mouth off the past week about Sony left and right, I'd recommend giving it a listen if you got time - It ain't exactly ear candy, but if you're interested in the company/PR/business side of things it's a pretty interesting listen.

Before I didn't think much of him like most others, but I'm now pretty happy he's one of the top executives.

“Do you ever get nervous when you say something and you see all the keyboards light up at the same time?”

I get nervous every time that I open my mouth. I’d love to tell you that I don’t read everything that gets written, and you know, I do, let them all eat cake. I bleed with every word that’s written. You can’t make everybody happy, not everyone is going to agree with you. I care about some unknown guy that responds to one of your blogs and trashes something I said. It’s tough to make everyone in your family love you let alone everyone in the world. It’s the price of admission but yeah it freaks me out.

Pretty true, especially around here :p

FTR I do like Sony's approach of pouring as much money they do into 1st party development, although that can definitely hurt in the initial launch/short term when 3rd parties decide to go multiplatform due to you not "supporting" them as much with your cash, or you have the inevitable gap between 1st party exclusives - There is going to be far more 3rd party developers out there than your collection of 1st party.

Or even when it produces 1st party content that under delivers due to it being pushed out the door - From a company perspective (Sonys perspective) it's better to see 3rd parties take the fall with poor games, not your 1st party stuff. That causes direct attacks from the gaming world at you, not at say Capcom for putting out a crap game on your console.

However most of those hickups dry up over a little time and your 1st parties start delivering. I hope that's what we'll see come the end of this year with a RFOM2, a game that hopefully supersedes the good/decent first, same with Motorstorm and I hope LBP kicks ass as a new IP.

Jack is right about what he says on 3rd party games being harder and harder to get exclusively. So I guess I'd back his approach to making exclusives out of first party stuff, instead of chasing 3rd parties and trying to persuade them to go exclusive.

There are the inevitable 3rd parties who do remain loyal, if we can call it that, but more and more of them are interested in maximizing profit nowadays seeing as the console race is far more even that it ever has been.

The pressure then though is to make sure your 1st party stuff delivers to a high calibre if you're essentially going to focus on 1st party exclusives, as opposed to chasing 3rd parties as well.

Edited by Audioboxer