Emo and goth to be made illegal in Russia

Emo and goth to be made illegal in Russia

The Russian government is in the process of drafting a law to make emo and goth music illegal.

Last month a parliamentary committee was convened to discuss a draft proposal of the Russian government's Government Strategy In The Sphere Of Spiritual And Ethical Education bill, the details of which were leaked to The Moscow Times. The newspaper subsequently reported that, among other things, the draft bill dubbed the musical movements a "dangerous teen trend" and called for emo and goth websites to be regulated and young people dressing like emos or goths to be banned from entering schools and government buildings.

The newspaper interviewed one of the bill's authors, Igor Ponkin from the Russian Interior Ministry's Public Oversight Council. Ponkin called emo a "social danger" and "a threat to national stability" and said the bill is a reaction to teen suicides such as the tragic death of British teenager Hannah Bond.

"This type of behaviour is a crucial part of emo ideology," said Ponkin. "Of course there are emo teens who just listen to their music. But our actions are not directed at them but rather at those who also hurt themselves, commit suicide and promote those acts."

The Moscow Times also interviewed psychologist Inna Cherkova who said:

"Suicide is not a symptom of emo culture. I work with other teens too, and every group has emotionally troubled kids."

However, the bill is expected to become law in Russia before the end of the year.

2jbmm9t.jpg

source

Techdirt commentary

****** disgusting. This serves no purpose, and will not stop anyone. This can only make things worse. I find "emo" more of a stage that some people go through for a short period and then change. This is a legal hate crime.

Thats insane!!! while emo is a small trend in Russia, goth is huge... we are talking about millions of goth or goth allied teens.... if this happens it is going to be the single biggest mistake the russian goverment ever done internally.

How pathetic, why can't people be left alone? I really detest people who have a dig at others simply for the clothes they wear or the music they listen to, take at look at your own lifes cause none of us is perfect :wacko:

how pathetic, why can't people be left alone? I really detest people who have a dig at others simply for the clothes they wear or the music they listen to, take at look at your own lifes cause none of us is perfect

I totally agree. just because some of you don't agree with peoples fashion sense/lifestyle etc.. doesn't mean its wrong. if people want to dress emo or goth let them. they are not harming anyone. just making a statement. anyone who looks at someone and judges them by the clothes they wear in my opinion is a loser. Let them do what they want.

If they want to do that then they have to get rid of the other sections of society who don't have enough of their own personality and feel the need to take on a persona based on a genre of music. Bye bye rap and all the other junk people believes defines who they are.

Shampoo companys will be happy...25% of russia will start washing their hair again. Now just to bring this to the U.K so we can burn all those leg-tight jeans.

:D

OMG this is ridiculous!!! i cant believe there are so many people on neowin that are so judging.

Now just to bring this to the U.K so we can burn all those leg-tight jeans.

um, its called fashion sense. and its not just emos who wear them.

OMG this is ridiculous!!! i cant believe there are so many people on neowin that are so judging.

bull****.

brian-emo-01.JPG

Finally a well said post in this ridiculous thread.

I'm a guy, and have a long fringe, and listen to ''emo music''. I don't class myself as emo but people seem to. Maybe it's just a phase, who knows, this law is preventing people from living how they want to, it's restricting their freedom.

''No, you can't have long hair and wear make up -gives fine or jail sentence-''

What a horrible decision. This is worse than that one county that has banned sagging pants.

Let people express themselves how they want to. To deny that right is just wrong.

Isn't this an infringement of their human rights? Do they have those in Russia or are they one of those old countries living in the past.