Emo and goth to be made illegal in Russia

God bless the Fatherland! And it's not Goth that is a huge scene in Russia, it's Rivetheads, do not get them confused. Which mixes military uniforms with tattoos and piercings.

Finally a well said post in this ridiculous thread.

I'm a guy, and have a long fringe, and listen to ''emo music''. I don't class myself as emo but people seem to. Maybe it's just a phase, who knows, this law is preventing people from living how they want to, it's restricting their freedom.

''No, you can't have long hair and wear make up -gives fine or jail sentence-''

Ah yes because Russia is so incredible liberal?

Just because it aint the union anymore, doesn't mean the country has change that much...

Shampoo companys will be happy...25% of russia will start washing their hair again. Now just to bring this to the U.K so we can burn all those leg-tight jeans.

:D

:laugh:

I wish similiar laws were passed in the US, Canada, and Australia. This should be banned out right since, it is causing harm (suicides) to the general public. Teenagers are following this trend (ideology), and commiting suicide. It's not a fashion trend, but a danger to our social structure, and young population. You can't always use the freedom of expression to justify an ideology that leads to suicidal teens. IMO freedom of expression should only be enforced if it doesn't harm anyone.

My 2 cents.

Yes it does.

Wtf does it prove?

I wish similiar laws were passed in the US, Canada, and Australia. This should be banned out right since, it is causing harm (suicides) to the general public. Teenagers are following this trend (ideology), and commiting suicide. It's not a fashion trend, but a danger to our social structure, and young population. You can't always use the freedom of expression to justify an ideology that leads to suicidal teens. IMO freedom of expression should only be enforced if it doesn't harm anyone.

My 2 cents.

OMG, never have I witnessed people becoming ''emo'' then committing suicide/self harm. I've seen depressed.suicidal people become emo, yes, but not the other way around. I hate it how people jump the gun and say it's the ''emo culture'' that causes deaths.

Continuing on what Senate said, Russia needs to do this because any thing causing suicide rates to rise is bad for them because the population of the Russian Federation is lowering at a rate of 700,000 per year and the current rate the Russian community will be extinct in 240~ years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjjC7B6v8Y.swf

Edited by A.B.L.N.N.

How pathetic, why can't people be left alone? I really detest people who have a dig at others simply for the clothes they wear or the music they listen to, take at look at your own lifes cause none of us is perfect :wacko:

I don't think they are banning it because they don't like the clothes, they are banning it because it's dangerous, and are more likely to self-harm/commit suicide.

My 2 cents.

Absolutely, because there were no suicides before black jeans and Floodland by The Sisters of Mercy.

Actually wait, you?re just full of it. Maybe you should consider a career in politics.

I don't think they are banning it because they don't like the clothes, they are banning it because it's dangerous, and are more likely to self-harm/commit suicide.

If that's the case then why can't they focus more on helping these 'suicidal'' people out? If they make this illegal then I'm sure more people could end up killing themselves.

This is ridiculous! What will it achieve by making it illegal? It'll mean millions of people are breaking the law for listening to music they like and dressing how they like. Why stop at emo, surely rap music is encouraging people to use guns, 'pop' music is making girls think they have to have this 'perfect barbie doll' figure and look. Almost every type of music can be associated with something that affects people in a bad way.

Yes some emo's are sucidal/depressed/have issues but i wouldn't make it illegal. why not help the people who have problems (emo or not) to deal with whatever issues they have? Surely that would achieve more!

Continuing on what Senate said, Russia needs to do this because any thing causing suicide rates to rise is bad for them because the population of the Russian Federation is lowering at a rate of 700,000 per year and the current rate the Russian community will be extinct in 240~ years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjjC7B6v8Y.swf

OMG that video is awesome! Lazy teenagers with high potential who don't do nothin at all and are a burden to society.

I wonder what society will be like if our leaders were all emos?

I support this law 100%!

I am surprised at some of the responses here.

It's as if the anti-emo people don't respect the choices of the emos. How would they like it if things they liked were made illegal?

Also Russia is sliding into authoritarianism again, as has been noted in many news sources. Why would people in the West who value freedom and live in free societies not include freedom of expression as part of freedom?

Maybe it is also worth quoting from Techdirt:

The history of modern culture is littered with examples of older generations freaking out and having moral panics concerning the culture of younger generations.... The [Russian] politician who introduced the legislation calls the music a "dangerous teen trend," a "social danger" and "a threat to national stability."

If this sound ridiculous, don't laugh too hard, because politicians around the world have made similar claims about any variety of other pop culture trends they just didn't understand. But, at some point, you would think some of these politicians would look at history and get a sense of how ridiculous they're going to look a few years from now for blaming a particular pop culture phenomenon they don't understand for "a threat to national stability."

Wtf does it prove?

OMG, never have I witnessed people becoming ''emo'' then committing suicide/self harm. I've seen depressed.suicidal people become emo, yes, but not the other way around. I hate it how people jump the gun and say it's the ''emo culture'' that causes deaths.

Are you, Bradas...emo, right now?