New Server going online today!

I am using Rogers too. Must be a problem with Rogers itself then.

But someone in the UK, isn't able to get onto neowin at all.

Yeah I'm using Pipex at home, and I'm still getting the "We are moving... fix your DNS" message on the homepage.

Any other Pipex users having the same issues?

It works fine at work (we're using Demon I think for our internet access) and the IP has changed here when I ping it.

I'll use the raw IP when I get home tonight, see if that helps.

Just to chime in on this. I'm getting the "We are moving..." page seemingly at random. It will be fine for an hour or so, then I just cannot navigate the forums at all.

ISP is Bethere, using OpenDNS.

I'm getting a DNS server error page (posted presumably by Neowin) stating that you are moving servers.

I have flushed my DNS cache, deleted all my temporary files/cookies/saved data etc. and have restarted both my PC and router - but I'm still seeing the error page.

In fact the only way I can get here is through using Tor/FoxyProxy. It might be my ISP that is caching Neowin in this way - but how do I tell a huge ISP that they need to 'flush their DNS cache?' just so I can visit a web site?

That message will only appear if your DNS has not yet updated to point at the new IP addresses, it does not, never has, and never will display on the new server. The site itself was never down at any point in the move, and we waited 48+ hours after changing the DNS records before displaying that message at the old IP address. 48 hours ought to be plenty of time for ISPs to have updated their dns servers, as our TTLs were set below that.

Nevertheless there is a problem - particularly it seems for large numbers of users in the UK.

Edited by jebus197

I'm getting a DNS server error page (posted presumably by Neowin)...

Any site has nothing to do with your DNS. You get that information provided to you by your ISP.

please don't moan at the devs, they have done all they can, it is your ISP's responsibility (and problem) to fix there DNS servers and update them. please moan at your ISP.

Then why does it say that it's a neowin.net announcement and have the neowin logo, just like everyone else here who has had issues?

Really it's just splitting hairs - the message was posted (presumably by someone) in order to a) be helpful and b) indicate that there might be a problem.

Having followed all of the standard procedures for clearing my dns/cache, temporary files etc. and some time after the servers have moved, I'm attempting to be helpful by letting you know that there may be some kind of difficulty. I was also simply a little curious if this problem is likely to persist?

please don't moan at the devs, they have done all they can, it is your ISP's responsibility (and problem) to fix there DNS servers and update them. please moan at your ISP.

How? My ISP probably earns in the region of $400 to $500 million a year, why on earth would they listen to me, even if I could speak to their engineers?

And since when is it moaning? I have visited Neowin on and off for many years. I was simply surprised that I couldn't reach the site today and was curious about what was happening.

There's no reason why you shouldn't at least be polite.

How? My ISP probably earns in the region of $400 to $500 million a year, why on earth would they listen to me, even if I could speak to their engineers?
then be patient until they fix it themselves. its your ISP, not neowin.

Then why does it say that it's a neowin.net announcement and have the neowin logo, just like everyone else here who has had issues?

Really it's just splitting hairs - the message was posted (presumably by someone) in order to a) be helpful and b) indicate that there might be a problem.

Having followed all of the standard procedures for clearing my dns/cache, temporary files etc. and some time after the servers have moved, I'm attempting to be helpful by letting you know that there may be some kind of difficulty. I was also simply a little curious if this problem is likely to persist?

You are seeing the message you are seeing because, as a courtesy we have left our old servers online with that message so that users know that we have changed servers, and for whatever reason, their dns entries still haven't updated.

We have done all that we can for this issue. We have configured the DNS entries for our site to point to this (209.124.63.212) server. The way DNS works is pretty simple, we configure our DNS entries on our name servers, it provides details on where all of our servers are located, and how long the DNS server querying it should cache that information before they re-query our name servers for new information (also known as TTL, or time to live). At this time, there isn't a server in the world that hasn't exceeded the length of our TTL entries. Seeing as most of the world has found their way to this server, it boils down to either an issue with the DNS servers you are using, or cached values on your computer, both of which are completely out of our control.

Wow sweet, yesterday I couldn't browse Neowin at all because of the lag issue and now it's fast and REALLY fast.

Good job Devs!

I'm getting page load errors like its going out of fashion, lol.

Still surfable though, just one page at a time it seems at the moment.

We're on the front page of slashdot, whilst running on one server instead of the normal 4, not great, I envisage another sleepless night keeping us online :p

Just for the record, I'm still having to use OpenDNS

Think I might give Bethere a call in a minute. (if I feel like having a phone stuck to the side of my head for an hour)

Just for the record, I'm still having to use OpenDNS

Think I might give Bethere a call in a minute. (if I feel like having a phone stuck to the side of my head for an hour)

I got an email back from them saying they have checked it out and it is resolving to the correct IP, so that's strange.

We're on the front page of slashdot, whilst running on one server instead of the normal 4, not great, I envisage another sleepless night keeping us online :p

Is that what it is, those poor hamsters powering the server, must be having heart attacks with this.

But at least the older hamsters will be joining them soon and make one big happy hamster powering server family. :D

Is that what it is, those poor hamsters powering the server, must be having heart attacks with this.

But at least the older hamsters will be joining them soon and make one big happy hamster powering server family. :D

You'll note how many of us Devs are now honouring the hard work the hamsters put in, with a place in our sigs :p

You'll note how many of us Devs are now honouring the hard work the hamsters put in, with a place in our sigs :p

Lol!

I didn't notice, lucky hamsters, internet fame! F list celebritys already I tell you. :rofl:

If I had the time or money, I would so get a hamster, name it Neowin and have regular blog post updates. :p

Everything seems to be normal now and I can view the site on my iPhone and my pc

hmm, scratch that...

it's back!.....

BTW, Dave, Rogers is getting the correct DNS some times now, some others i still get that silly error, so i guess its gonna get completely fixed over the next days.

Thanks for all

The feeling of being on 56k again :p

Just joking, best of luck smoothing things out guys! (Y)

Edited by Audioboxer