New Server going online today!

Ok I was wondering what the hell is up with the site loading almost instantly.. then I remembered the upgrade!

Thanks guys! running really well for me.. well like never before really. :D

Edit: OMG I'm salivating at the speed here. Rappy, you're going down! :shifty:

Wishful thinking :p

I wonder if there were glitches with submitting news for the Main page.

Not that I expect all the stories I submit there to be posted but this interesting new Time Magazine interview with Bill Gates (with video) that I posted Sunday never showed up, and it seems it would be something that would go well on the Main page:

Making Capitalism More Creative by Bill Gates

Gates Video Interview @ Time

So I am wondering if that one even got through.

I wonder if there were glitches with submitting news for the Main page.

Not that I expect all the stories I submit there to be posted but this interesting new Time Magazine interview with Bill Gates (with video) that I posted Sunday never showed up, and it seems it would be something that would go well on the Main page:

Making Capitalism More Creative by Bill Gates

Gates Video Interview @ Time

So I am wondering if that one even got through.

They did, I have seen them in the queue. Unfortunately, our current system doesn't provide us with a way to feedback on why a submission wasn't accepted, that is something we intend to change in future revisions on the site. From reading a couple though, I would suggest if you formatted the story as a couple (2 or 3) paragraphs instead of a series of brief sentences, this will save our news guys the time of having to do further research in order to reformat the story.

They did, I have seen them in the queue. Unfortunately, our current system doesn't provide us with a way to feedback on why a submission wasn't accepted, that is something we intend to change in future revisions on the site. From reading a couple though, I would suggest if you formatted the story as a couple (2 or 3) paragraphs instead of a series of brief sentences, this will save our news guys the time of having to do further research in order to reformat the story.

Thanks, good to know. I thought, though, that you could only include 3 paragraphs from the story submitted to Main news for copyright issues. I'm happy to reformat, though, if that is okay. Still, in that Gates case the first three paragraphs were rather long. Probably that article wasn't techy enough. Cheers, James

I like what the move did for Neowin. Pages now load instantly :woot:

edit: Except when you hit "reply". Takes a few to load and the "quick edit" option doesn't work after (had to use the "full edit" to edit).

Thanks, good to know. I thought, though, that you could only include 3 paragraphs from the story submitted to Main news for copyright issues. I'm happy to reformat, though, if that is okay. Still, in that Gates case the first three paragraphs were rather long. Probably that article wasn't techy enough. Cheers, James

There is that limit yeah, but if you write them yourself to summarise the story, instead of just copying the first three, that would be even better, those are the kinds of submissions we really love ;)

I like what the move did for Neowin. Pages now load instantly :woot:

edit: Except when you hit "reply". Takes a few to load and the "quick edit" option doesn't work after.

The move isn't even finished yet, we're currently running on one server instead of 4 that we were previously spread over. Once those 4 are moved and reinstalled, and the site spread over 5 servers, imagine the speed then!

There is that limit yeah, but if you write them yourself to summarise the story, instead of just copying the first three, that would be even better, those are the kinds of submissions we really love ;)

The move isn't even finished yet, we're currently running on one server instead of 4 that we were previously spread over. Once those 4 are moved and reinstalled, and the site spread over 5 servers, imagine the speed then!

yeah, but not all 5 will be for the site will they?

Can't really imagine anything faster than "instant". Will the fifth server slap me after the page done loading instantly, or something :o ?

Still moving? 'Cus I'm getting "Busy" messages and 30-40 seconds load times :/

I am getting slow loading times occasionally with some posts but not others.

Still moving? 'Cus I'm getting "Busy" messages and 30-40 seconds load times :/

The servers will be placed into the new DC early next week. I think I have tracked down the cause of the occasional server lags, and I'm working to get it sorted out.

I think I have tracked down the cause of the occasional server lags, and I'm working to get it sorted out.

Yup, pretty sure I got it sorted now. Running the mail queue was slowing down apache and mysql, after some tweaking, I've ensured that will no longer happen.

I just hit a complete wall, 2 x Server busy and pages loading for 1-2 minutes and then nothing. Took 3 attempts to get to this page!

Keeps switching between being super fast and completely dead.

I just hit a complete wall, 2 x Server busy and pages loading for 1-2 minutes and then nothing. Took 3 attempts to get to this page!

Great case of speaking too soon. It WAS working, honest!

I'm seeing the same behavior, one minute the site will be blazingly fast and the next minute it slows to a crawl or doesn't render properly (after 3 minutes it stops and just loads the banner ad).

Same here, accept I've had nothing but random weird problems like you said and don't notice any speed boost at all when there isn't server busy the speed for me is like what its normally been here.