New Gamers' Hangout Policy

I really don't want to come under attack for posting news here, as if you even look at my post history it's what I have done since I joined (albeit in greater volumes now). I'm sure Audio feels the same as we are both two members who post a great volume of news/previews on games and it's not always down to us when a topic gets out of hand but we are blamed for it.

You do realize this is the exact thing we are trying to stop as well right? Calling members out by name is not cool and will no longer be tolerated. Stop it now. In fact I will get Gigapixels to amend that to the policy. It would be one thing if people could handle things, but a few of you have proven that you all cannot.

Finally, the biggest difference between this time and last time is two very big factors. Now, you have had fair warning, Now, it applies to everyone.

How was I supposed to know they had actually been given a warning/restriction?

(Y)

And yeah, I do agree people don't need to be hung out to dry, it's pretty obvious when something has happened and/or members disappear. Keep your guestimates on who may be suspended to yourself really. If you go around calling people out, aside from the fact it is a little disrespectful, you may get it completely wrong - Some people may just go on holiday/on a break and had no time to alert NW.

However seeing as it's already been mentioned, yes, I am serving a suspension. I don't mind admitting to/people knowing (personally), I even backed the idea of warnings being visible on NW at one point (big topic in this section on it).

Only good I think that can come from admitting that is showing everyone the new policies are as fair as they can be, and it doesn't matter how much/how little you post or how active/inactive you are, break the rules and you'll be dealt with.

There are no loop holes/favouritism/subscribers get off lightly, or any other of that bollocks you sometimes see members claiming (N) Break the rules and/or post more negatives than your positives and you'll be dealt with in a respectable manner.

Looking forward to returning, and looking forward to contributing more in a more "gamer" fashion, as opposed to some of the nonsense that's been going on. I hope everyone will be thinking the same, regardless of if you're on a suspension just now, or not (Y)

I'm not stating when I'm back, that's a decision at the moderators discretion I will keep private. Just be on the look out for me :p

As for Kushans points on topic titles and/or articles. Simple answer - Common sense.

I'd like to see people creating their own topic titles if they have to from now on, and Neowin giving it an "okay" if the title does justice. There is an uprise of poor gaming journalism, where sites nowadays are all fighting for hits, therefore they post "risky" titles to draw attention. Where as the actual article content, is completely fine to post.

You can see that clearly when you look for a big article, then browse the web to see what each gaming website names the title.

Some just say "Jack Tretton Sony SCEO Interview on Many Topics - MS/Nintendo/Competition".

Or some could say "Jack Tretton Says "We are better than MS".

Usually the later chopped/not fully quoted text.

If it's obvious the title you are going to post could cause heat and/or bring in the good ole fashion of "read title, add reply" instead of "read title, read post THEN add reply", then do something about it (Y)

This also goes for articles which are genuinely risky content wise and/or may not serve any real purpose other than arguing - Think about posting before you do.

The above applies for extreme topics, I'm not condoning and/or wanting script censorship of articles - If something really bad happens in regards to a console, it's going to be posted/discussed over the internet anyway, no way to avoid it, or censor it. Just need to tough it up if you're a fan of the console and/or Developer/Person being called out for something silly... However again in this instance, think before you reply if you are coming in to call them out. As said in the rules above, blatant product trolling is going to be cut down on.

One thing however I do think we need to cut down on ourselves is the "80 repeating topics", linking newbie blogs, consisting of "5 Reason MGS4 won't hit the 360", "This is "evidence" of how MS money hatted Square Enix", ect - Isn't really great gaming info/news is it?

If it's not coming from a good source and/or has no substantial PROOF from say a Konami/MS/Square CEO, it's probably best considering hard before you post topics like that.

Maybe that's the kind of stuff we don't really need to see as much around NW GH?

Just saying, topics like that seem to cause the most heat at times... Search for MGS4 in the Sony section and you'll see.

Anyway, here's to the future :beer:

ps. Sethos, wall of text crit +5? :rofl:

Edited by Audioboxer

I really don't want to come under attack for posting news here, as if you even look at my post history it's what I have done since I joined (albeit in greater volumes now). I'm sure Audio feels the same as we are both two members who post a great volume of news/previews on games and it's not always down to us when a topic gets out of hand but we are blamed for it.

If it wasn't for your large copious amounts of news posts at the mo then GH would be very boring.

Top job DM.

AB, we'll be waiting for you!

this is good i guess but tbh i never really notice much flaming or immaturity in gamer's hangout.

like one thread where someone was complaining because their son got "banned from gmod" on steam. according to the moderator who locked the thread people were being immature but i couldn't see it lol.

windows vista support and windows beta discussion seem to be worse imo.

this is good i guess but tbh i never really notice much flaming or immaturity in gamer's hangout.

like one thread where someone was complaining because their son got "banned from gmod" on steam. according to the moderator who locked the thread people were being immature but i couldn't see it lol.

windows vista support and windows beta discussion seem to be worse imo.

that thread seemed to have degenerated into nothing but insulting the OP. The initial question was quickly answered, the insults started flying and I don't think it served much purpose after the question was answered.

How was I supposed to know they had actually been given a warning/restriction?

Your missing the point. Calling another member out directly by name for any reason cannot be tolerated in this section (honestly I cannot see it being good anywhere honestly), but especially in this section as more often than not it is for a negative thing. That is my point. No names period. So it does not matter if you knew or not, you called them out by name, and that is what will not be tolerated in any form.

And you wont be. Like I said I do not see the posting of the news being the problem, I see what happens after it being the problem.

Yes, you had that one instance recently were I closed the thread, but in regards to that thread the accompanying smilie face (or actually frowning face) and your comment right after the news I did feel set that thread up for the fall, even though that was not your intent as I know discussing it with you after via PM. However intent or not, it was something that could easily be classified as flamebait. No smilie, no comment, it is then just news being posted.

Sorry to use you as an example, but I thought you would be okay with me doing so since it also helps clarify things to everyone else. Let me know if you are not and I will remove it.

Yes, you had that one instance recently were I closed the thread, but in regards to that thread the accompanying smilie face (or actually frowning face) and your comment right after the news I did feel set that thread up for the fall, even though that was not your intent as I know discussing it with you after via PM. However intent or not, it was something that could easily be classified as flamebait. No smilie, no comment, it is then just news being posted.

Sorry to use you as an example, but I thought you would be okay with me doing so since it also helps clarify things to everyone else. Let me know if you are not and I will remove it.

And that's a mod doing a mod's job. We need to realize that mods are mods for a reason. They're picked because they've shown they can make the right decisions most of the time. Doesn't mean they're perfect, just very good. I think if people can remember to report instead of reply the threads won't degenerate so quickly.

To be honest, I don't really quite understand why so many people bicker about their choice of consoles. I can understand them defending their choice as you can't really blame them, they spent quite a bit of money paying for it and would like a return on their investments, but sometimes I get the feeling they want something more even when what they have is more than enough. And to me I find that mind boggling.

I was born in a family, who though are not poor, are also not rich either. Right from the beginning, my parents instil a lesson within me that has made me what I am today - the difference between knowing what I want and what I need. Sure, there are a lot of things that are worth buying and I do have a desire for them, but do I really need it? That is why whenever I buy a luxury item, I will use it to the point where I am wholly satisfied with it, until I cannot gleam anything more from it. Sure, it may have its faults, which product is perfect? But I knowingly bought it despite it weaknesses because it serves my purposes.

That is what people really need to know, because at the end of the day, people buy consoles just to have a bit of fun and enjoy the plethora of games available. Sure, you probably know that some games won't come out on your chosen console, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world, it just means you need to broaden your horizon to try out something else. Who knows, you might find another game that you can enjoy for a few hours?

As for the suggestion on asking for more mods, I think it's a given since I've seen DL, gigapixels, and PureLegend working overtime trying to keep things in order in Gamer's Hangout. It's about time they get some new blood so they can have a holiday :p .

Scirwode

so much for the freedom of speach.. i would say whats on my mind but i dont want to get banned for voicing my thoughts

so much for the freedom of speach.. i would say whats on my mind but i dont want to get banned for voicing my thoughts

You are, and always will be, free to voice your opinion. It's just HOW you do it that matters.

There's a difference between saying "I think the 360 is the superior console" and "omfg the ps3 is a pile of ######, **** SONY!"

This is good. I've been waiting for this. This is what I proposed when the first set of rules were in place. Except that you get perma banned on the first offense.

You are, and always will be, free to voice your opinion. It's just HOW you do it that matters.

There's a difference between saying "I think the 360 is the superior console" and "omfg the ps3 is a pile of ######, **** SONY!"

:laugh:

That's my new phrase for this week (not for use on the forums, I just mean in spoken word) :p

But yeah, correctly said.

Free speech has gone no where, and if you believe what you're about to say could get you banned/in trouble, it's nothing to do with free speech it's to do with either

a) Clear breaking of the NW rules - You agreed to use this forum under the rules NW specifies when agreeing to the T&C's

and/or

b) Saying what you want to say in a derogatory manner

Both of which do not need to be done to enjoy freedom of speech (Y)

I amended the policy with the issue of calling another member out. Please note that this is for calling somebody out in a negative fashion, i.e. if you want to simply congratulate another member on a goal they reach with their gamerscore, by all means, that is fine with us.

I'm glad to see a lot of people understand and support this policy.

As Kushan and AB already said, you can voice your opinion whenever you'd like. We would never want to take that away. The point of this policy is to be polite and friendly when voicing your opinion. We cannot have people flaming or trolling, and we're doing what we can to stop that.

Xbox sucks

no wait. PS3 sucks

No I'm totally wrong. Wii sucks.

Hang on... I got it! Atari 2600 sucks. Yeah thats right. My pong is better than your pong!

:rofl:

lol

I love it when people think they have freedom of speech on a private forum. Internet forums aren't generally democracies. You don't have the same freedoms and rights here as you might out in the world. Someone created this place (Neobond, Redmak?) and you follow their rules. Freedom of speech was never a given.

That being said, I don't know what you're complaining about. The mods here let people get away with a hell of a lot. All they ask is that the members here don't act like jerks.

-Spenser

I'm all for cleaning things up a bit and stopping stupid flame wars, but I have a problem -

My main concern is with people that post articles from OTHER sites that are blatantly one-sided. Say someone posts a thread with a quoted article that effectively says "OMG SONY'S PSN FAILS!", but because it's just a piece of quoted text, it's not necessarily the poster's opinion and they can use this to get around half of these rules.

Then this member just goes on to post several of these threads, lifting articles from other sites that are just going to cause an argument - how do we get around this? Technically, they're not breaking any rules, but if we reply to these threads pointing out the errors in the text, we ARE breaking the rules.

And if we prevent people from posting articles like that, we'll stop people from posting articles at all for fear of getting warned/banned.

But it happens to be all too often that when a poster posts something biased, it usually reflects the OP's opinions.

Looking forward to returning, and looking forward to contributing more in a more "gamer" fashion

Glad to see your in high spirits and will continue posting news and the like when your back (Y). Hopefully same applies to the others.

A lot. But even if you disagree with that, it's besides the point.

-Spenser

Freedom of speech is required to make a democracy work, but it's also required to make a communist state work (except moreso).

There's also nothing to say that you don't have freedom of speech in a fascist state, the ruler of that state may be more than happy for you to say what you want and not care. Just it so happens that usually people in that position don't.

Take this forum, for example - technically, it's a fascist dictatorship, with neobond being the high-ruler of us all. He hand picks a few of his mates to help run things and they hand-pick a few other candidates they're happy with to help THEM out. Yet we're all allowed to pretty much voice any and all of our opinions here if we want, even if Neobond and co don't agree with them.

As you said, there's nothing really democratic about this forum, but we still have freedom of speech.

^^^Except you can't voice any and all of your opinions, especially if they're not very nice towards other members, or if they're troll or flamebait comments. That's the whole point of this thread.

-Spenser