[Official] SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation

Hey Larry have you had a chance to play any more online with the new patches?

I'm about to import I think to get the Headset and because things are suppose to be playing a lot better now.

There is no release date set in stone for the EU version, so waiting around is getting annoying.

Hey Larry have you had a chance to play any more online with the new patches?

I'm about to import I think to get the Headset and because things are suppose to be playing a lot better now.

There is no release date set in stone for the EU version, so waiting around is getting annoying.

Well I just went and bought it :p

?34.99 delivered, which is the same price the EU version will be going for (shopto) for release anyway.

Desperately need the headset, plus if the patches that are out fix the lag like they say they do, Socom should be a good serious online game to play. DL's already commented on the maturity levels online which is good :happy::

Wait, it still hasn't been released in the EU you say? What about PSN, also a US only release so far?

Nope!

EU release is listed as 28/11, but there's rumblings on the official forums that is just a rumour.

It's not on Euro PSN either.

Just USA PSN, and USA stores :/

In a way it's good for Europeans because the game was a pile of ass on release. The version they get will work better.

However no release date set in stone is crap (N)

I really need a headset and the difference in chipping in extra for Socom isn't a lot, so I can't be bothered waiting around any more. Want the official headset as the High Quality mode it offers is suppose to be crystal clear quality online.

Whoa that is pretty pathetic, is it possible to buy the US PSN version without problems, you know?

Yeah it is.

Usual localisations delaying EU no doubt, but no release date is crap. Although to be honest it probably will come out the 28th.

Yes, you can buy the US PSN version.

People on the Socom forums have either been doing that, or importing the game.

I imported from here - http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=42519

?34.99, no delivery costs to UK.

You can get the game without headset for ?24.99 - http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_i...oducts_id=42527

Not sure how that compares to US PSN with how interest rates are sitting right now.

That's what I hate about localisation delays, it's usually to add languages and tailor the games for each region right? That never happens around here, some game developers add Swedish but most European versions are all-English anyway ... Why not just release the damn thing?!

I am seriously considering getting the US PSN version, just to kill some time until Wotlk .... hmmm.

That's what I hate about localisation delays, it's usually to add languages and tailor the games for each region right? That never happens around here, some game developers add Swedish but most European versions are all-English anyway ... Why not just release the damn thing?!

I am seriously considering getting the US PSN version, just to kill some time until Wotlk .... hmmm.

Yeah, might be worth looking into.

Larry will probably get around to seeing this soon enough, and chip in with some more thoughts.

Patch 1.20 was the one to supposedly make the game a lot more stable,

SOCOM: Confrontation 1.20 Update Incoming

Posted by Seth Luisi

We are happy to announce that the SOCOM: Confrontation 1.20 Update will be released on Wednesday, October 29th, at 1200 GMT/UTC (8am EDT, 5am PDT, 1pm BST, 9pm JST).

The SOCOM: Confrontation 1.20 update addresses the following issues:

* Fixed many issues which would cause the game to crash, hang, disconnect and exit to the PS3 XMB.

* Fixed an issue which would cause large numbers of players in a high player count game to be simultaneously disconnected.

* Fixed an issue which would cause players to be invincible.

* Fixed a physics issue which would cause players to occasionally "warp" around on the map.

* Fixed an issue where a "corrupt save data" message would be incorrectly displayed after updating the game.

* Fixed some player model issues related to team swapping.

* Client/server optimization.

* Fixed an issue where the scope camera had an incorrect offset from the barrel of the gun while prone or leaning/peeking.

For players who have already downloaded and installed the 1.10 update, the 1.20 update is only ~50MB in size. For new players, the size is the 1.10 update plus the 1.20 update which is ~550MB.

The main purpose of this update is to address major stability and playability issues with the game. The stability of the game has been greatly improved with the 1.20 update. There are still a few low frequency issues which we are continuing to look into and will be addressed in a future update.

We are reading player feedback in the forums and will be making future changes to the game based on that feedback. Please keep the feedback coming.

Regards,

SOCOM: Confrontation Online Team

And 1.30 is being worked on just now, and should hopefully hit soon...

SOCOM: Confrontation State of the Union

Posted by Dan McBride

Now that we are 3 weeks into the launch of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation it is about time for a more comprehensive update straight from the developers. All of us at Slant Six would like to thank those active community members who continually exhibit their passion for SOCOM- you are a tough audience but we would not want it any other way. The launch was pretty rough on all of us but we want to let you know that we are committed to continual improvement of the game

Patch 1.20 went live last Tuesday and it has met its goals: stability is much better and the server load issues seen in the first week have been mostly addressed. With this now out of the way, the team has turned our attention to the 1.30 update which will fix several features (including trophies and SOCOM: Confrontation Awards), fix a bunch of bugs and respond to some of the requests of the community.

Here are some of the items planned for the update. Please note that some items listed may be delayed to a following update if additional development is required beyond what our schedule for the 1.30 update allows. This should not be considered a guarantee that these items will be in the 1.30 update, but we did want to give everyone a heads up as to what is on our plate currently.

New Features

* SOCOM Awards and PSN Trophies

* DTS audio support

* Add HUD and scoreboard opacity

* Scoreboard invocation improvements (tap select for persistent scoreboard, hold for temporary)

* Spectator mode HUD turns off after brief interval

* Spectator camera look now respects user invert on/off setting

* Spectator camera pan now consistent with in game camera

* Add dive-to-prone

* Add lean control to d-pad

* Gear items stackable

* Extend post-round period

* Restrict RPGs and grenade launchers in ranked rooms

* Increase prone movement speed

* Adding support for lefty control configuration (analog stick functions swapped)

* Increase frag grenade effectiveness

* Prevent incorrect reload interruptions

Bug Fixes

* Fix animation issue when prone rolling near certain objects.

* Fix remaining issues with statistics gathering and display

* Fix bugs related to equipping of C4 in breach mode

* Fix occasional audio drop outs

* Fix last remaining framerate hitch when other clients late join

* Fix remaining stability issues

* Fix hostages being affected by smoke

Of course there will also be many additional smaller fixes included in the patch. Please watch this spot for updates as the patch moves through development and into QA/verification/deployment.

We are also hard at work on an additional patch which will include the remaining community support features. The design and art teams are also making great progress on new content- based on some of the posts in the forums, many of you will be very happy with what is coming down the pipe.

Thanks again for your continuing support,

-Confrontation Development Team

So if all of this goes through, I can see this game picking up the pace to be a solid Socom entry, as opposed to a poor-mediocre one.

1UP re-reviewed the game after patch 1.20, and increased their score from C+, to B+ - http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170791&p=37

ugh, socom did it to me again. no left hand configuration, and the stupid thing won't even let me customize the one control i want to change. now i gotta search to see if i can find a customizable controller so i can play socom. :(

Remembered you complaining about left hand configuration.

Seems like I posted above, patch 1.30 will have this :)

* Adding support for lefty control configuration (analog stick functions swapped)

Thanks AB, looks like the game is slowly turning out to be a decent, stable game. Think I might go buy it now!

Now I just need to find my Component cables for the PS3 ... :blink:

YES!!!! :drool: Finally

yay now i don't have to use the bulky phoenix revolution controller anymore! can't wait!! lol

What the hell, why is the US Store so much faster? That has to be one of the few times my download speeds are maxed, 35% in less than 6 minutes of an almost 3GB Download - Awesome (Y)

Yeah I think the game is definitely in a playable state right now, but there still are some issues, it is definitely not perfect by any means, and honestly it is not even very good. It is okay. But I did indeed play a good 90 minutes with no issues.

I would say though keep in mind, if it has not been released in the EU yet, you guys might only have the option to play on US only servers, so that very well could mean your connection might not be ideal and you might have way more issues than normal. Just wanted to throw that out there. Not sure if it would cause an issue or not. :huh:

And the headset is nice. Comfortable, but the sound of other people still is not ideal, it does not fix that. I am convinced either people just do not know how to use their mics/headsets and/or the PSN just does not have the best VO capabilities. Not really sure, but a lot of Echoing and static when other people talk. But it is a nice headset overall.

Haven't they got all those different rooms for each region up, like the Beta? As long as I don't get the Red-X freezes every 2 minutes, I will be happy (Y)

As for the headset, you gotta remember Larry, Playstation 3 allows users to use all sorts of headsets due to the more 'open' standard. This means everything from cheap tacky Bluetooth headsets to some old musty USB headset, couple that with the fact they are using a bandwidth-easy audio codec, meaning there is a pretty high chance other peoples voice will be absolutely terrible. Only a small handful of people actually buy some decent headsets and the quality is certainly thereafter.

Hopefully my new USB headset will also work with the PS3 http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/e...ets/gamecom-777

Haven't they got all those different rooms for each region up, like the Beta? As long as I don't get the Red-X freezes every 2 minutes, I will be happy (Y)

As for the headset, you gotta remember Larry, Playstation 3 allows users to use all sorts of headsets due to the more 'open' standard. This means everything from cheap tacky Bluetooth headsets to some old musty USB headset, couple that with the fact they are using a bandwidth-easy audio codec, meaning there is a pretty high chance other peoples voice will be absolutely terrible. Only a small handful of people actually buy some decent headsets and the quality is certainly thereafter.

Hopefully my new USB headset will also work with the PS3 http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/e...ets/gamecom-777

Yep thats right, I am pretty sure I did see all regions set up. Doh.

Also very good point about the headsets, never really saw it that way.

And nice Plantronics headset. What I was looking for a keyboard I knew definitely worked with the PS3, I just Googled the name of the keyboard and PS3 and found plenty of posts all over if they did work, so maybe try doing that for the headset just to verify they do definitely work.

Yeah I tried looking but it's a fairly new Headset, plus most PS3 users doesn't seem to know you can in fact use standard USB Soundcard based headsets or else they say it just won't work.

But I am fairly certain it'll work, now I just need to update the game before I try. So are you up for a match some day Larry? Not many other Neowin Socom players around.

What the hell, why is the US Store so much faster? That has to be one of the few times my download speeds are maxed, 35% in less than 6 minutes of an almost 3GB Download - Awesome (Y)

You are a lucky man. I never download anything that fast from PSN.

So I finally had my first decent match tonight and suffice to say, game is crap.

They finally fixed the various issues plaguing the Beta except the constant, tiny freezes. This can really get annoying during combat and really offset the outcome of a fight.

Now I just encountered a really annoying bug 5-6 times, stuck on reloading. Either that or the reload sequence keeps 'restarting' without me doing anything. I had snuck behind three enemies in a destroyed building and started to follow them. Ended up in a long firefight and proceeded to chase them, during this chase I had to reload and was JUST behind a sniper who had been camping for the entire match ... I was still reloading. Almost 25 seconds since I pressed the damn reload button, he was still reloading without me interrupting it. So I tried knifing him and nothing happened ... He turned around with no HP left and knifed me while his friend was shooting at me.

So I threw the controller through the room ... Suffice to say my DS3 is now broken.

Not to mention the fact absolutely no-one is playing elimination and like 70% of the servers are playing Crossroads?! A map we've played for well over a month in the beta, how about we try some of the other maps?! Textbook example of why matchmaking is the future on Consoles at least, proper map rotation - Not this pathetic crap where every server is playing the same map. Plus you don't have to spend an entire evening looking for the game-mode you like, just click & go.

But really, this game can go suck donkey dick.

So I threw the controller through the room ... Suffice to say my DS3 is now broken.

Anger management classes? :laugh:

Not great impressions, which is sad to see, but I'm still keen to give it try once I have it.

Maybe patch 1.3 will be out before I even get the game, seeing as it's coming from USA.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally received this today, like a MONTH after ordering from movietyme :no:

I'll be sticking to videogamesplus, who got me a copy of R2 here in a week.

Charging up headset now, looks good. Only minus is the charging cable they give you with it is VERY short.

Preparing for the onslaught of patches :laugh:

Hope 1.3 is out really soon, it seems to fix a ton, add a lot of stuff, and trophies are in.

yeah, i hate how short the cable is as well, but you can always get a usb extension cable.

yep, this is gonna be a really good patch. haven't played socom with a standard controller since socom 2

Just played this for about 2 hours.

Hardly any Europeans about :p

Much better than the beta, hardly had any lag at all and I was playing with Americans most of the time.

I'm not that great at the game, but I think I'll dedicate some time over xmas to getting better :)

What do you make of the headset, AB? I was thinking of getting one as they can be had for around ?20.

Looks good and has decent build quality.

Much better than 3rd parties.

However I think mine might be faulty://

When it's in my ear it pops/crackles a lot, even when no one is speaking.