9 Days Left?

havent these scientests read or watched "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" i mean its pretty obvious that the world was built by people, and the meaning of life is the number 42.

just dont forget your towel guys...

And crowbar, you've got to be prepared.

Awwh man, life is finally going well, I'm doing well in Uni, I'm playing games more than ever, and I'm getting laid regularly, and now someone is going to destroy the planet!

Great!

I haven't even seen all the Original Star Trek Episodes yet either.

:p

Maybe thats why i feel so incredibly indifferent about the idea. I havent gotten any for a few months. That as opposed to the fact that ive always had a passing interest in Star Trek but never gotten around to making the commitment to watching much. hmmmm

hey! did you guys know that not even light can escape a blackhole?!

Yep :D

hey! did you guys know that not even light can escape a blackhole?!

true, but i bet if the world is destroyed, the only things left will be Michael Jaksons nose and every copy of Postal the "movie"

I guess the Mayan's were close in the 2012 Dec. 12th prediction of all time ends on that day.

They were off by a few years. but close. Damn. A day after Apple announce maybe a new macbook pro! lol

Pascal would suggest that we believe nothing bad will happen.

1. If nothing happens, we can say we were correct.

2. If the Earth is destroyed, nobody can say we were wrong.

It's a win-win situation...

How can that be true? Just because no one says that nothing "bad" happened, does not mean that nothing occurred, just that no one stated that it occurred.

How can that be true? Just because no one says that nothing "bad" happened, does not mean that nothing occurred, just that no one stated that it occurred.

And hence the inherent flaw of Pascal's wager becomes apparent. ;)

actually... according to the discovery channel, which is simply a guess, but an educated one I'd imagine, being sucked into a black hole is quite devastating. You don't just die... you break down on a cellular level until nothing is left but your atoms. Quite horrendous if you ask me... but what do scientists know? We have lived and only continue to live as long as we have because of science...

I'm fine with throwing the switch. I'm pretty happy with my life right now :p

I think some people are just being ridiculous. The world's not going to end. Sure there are some unknowns about what could/will happen, and sure, destroying the world is probably somewhere on that list, but it seems pretty ridiculous to think that that's the likeliest outcome of the LHC. After all, there are a lot of things the guys who designed/built this thing do know about what they're doing.

-Spenser

After all, there are a lot of things the guys who designed/built this thing do know about what they're doing.

It's the things they don't know that we should be concerned about.

actually... according to the discovery channel, which is simply a guess, but an educated one I'd imagine, being sucked into a black hole is quite devastating. You don't just die... you break down on a cellular level until nothing is left but your atoms. Quite horrendous if you ask me... b

soooooo like a teleporter that isn't working like it's supposed too. Beam me up snotty...Lawl.

we will probably look like Wolverine in the end of x-men 3 when he's trying to walk up to the phoenix and she's slowly disintegrating him. LOL

I guess the Mayan's were close in the 2012 Dec. 12th prediction of all time ends on that day.

They were off by a few years. but close. Damn. A day after Apple announce maybe a new macbook pro! lol

If only the Mayans actually predicted anything like that (Think of it as new years on a calendar, it doesn't mean the world is ending, it just means it's the start of a new time period)

actually... according to the discovery channel, which is simply a guess, but an educated one I'd imagine, being sucked into a black hole is quite devastating. You don't just die... you break down on a cellular level until nothing is left but your atoms. Quite horrendous if you ask me... but what do scientists know? We have lived and only continue to live as long as we have because of science...

So not that much different than what happens when you get buried?

Some of these so called experts that have been trying to block these experiments are no better than the creationists having a go at evolution. Same groups, backers and beliefs. If it was up to them the earth would still be flat, at the centre of the universe and 6000 years old. For some reason they didn't study history or science and believe basically there were 2 great periods in history, biblical and american.

They seem afraid that we are trying to unlock gods secrets, not in what has been officially released to the press / courts but this has been going on for years and you can find many statements backing this up. The argument that this happens naturally, micro blackholes or wormholes, holds up they just cant be predicted or monitored so we have to create giant experiments to replicate nature.

I dont think we are putting the planet in any more risk than it is now, The Doomsday Clock is at 11.55 and has been counting upto 12.00 for the past few years. I would rather the world was destroyed by mankind trying to advance than some dumb religious fundamentalist (christian, muslim, jew or whatever) trying to bring on the Rapture, destroy the west or capture gods lands.

To try and fail is better than not trying at all.

All hail the new god of SCIENCE! :rolleyes: - Dumb

All hail the new god of SCIENCE! :rolleyes: - Dumb

Nobody says science is the new god, although the higgs boson particle is sometimes called the god particle. Science is about explaining the world around us and utilising that knowledge in advancing the human race, nobody worships science blindly.

If only the Mayans actually predicted anything like that (Think of it as new years on a calendar, it doesn't mean the world is ending, it just means it's the start of a new time period)

So not that much different than what happens when you get buried?

Quite a bit different, I would imagine that you'd be alive when it begins to happen and you'd violently break-down - They said the cells would 'split in half' constantly until you were in the simplest form possible... atoms. Not sure I ever want to experience being 'split in half'

of course, this is all an educated guess... but I think we should at least attempt to understand how this world works. Think of all the time we've lost due to religion... Not that I'm not a religious person, just saying that we can't avoid something because we're scared to die.