[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

You'll only get that option via a VGA cable. When you're using HDMI you'll only get 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p options.

No way! That's so disappointing since a VGA cable isn't really an option (I use my TV as a second monitor, connected via VGA)

Microsoft said this at the start...

New display support. Because you asked for it, we are adding 16X10 over VGA or HDMI, and support for 1440x900 or 1680x1050.

So do you think there's a chance it'll be released at a later date?

Thanks

I use component on my 19" hdtv and the picture quality is great. Tried using VGA and 1440*900 and the picture was a lot more detailed, but more bland, so to say.

Not sure what i'd rather use :(

Your TV should allow for different color settings depending on source, so I would suggest trying it with VGA and adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc. to get something that looks really good.

Your TV should allow for different color settings depending on source, so I would suggest trying it with VGA and adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc. to get something that looks really good.
Remember to try 'expanded' reference mode Brad.

Cheers guys, I'll try it out later :)

Where is the normal press report or large change log for this NXE?

I wanna see what Video codecs added/removed etc, and all the little tweaks etc they have done.

I don't think the codecs have changed at all. It still plays the same formats it did before. I did notice that in addition to displaying art for each video it now also displays it as a thumbnail. While a nice feature, on discs with lots of videos it now takes it a few seconds to churn away and load all of those thumbnails, which is not so nice. It's really only a minor issue with discs though. I imagine they load very fast from flash drives. The appearance of the onscreen video controls has been improved also; looks much better now.

I have two small questions.

Is it possible to open the cd tray at a distance using the controller? And is it recommended to clear the cache every now and then or is there no real use, because the 360 manages it itself?

Is it possible to open the cd tray at a distance using the controller?

Yes... My XBox -- Open Tray.

It's the very first option. You can't miss it. :|

I have two small questions.

Is it possible to open the cd tray at a distance using the controller? And is it recommended to clear the cache every now and then or is there no real use, because the 360 manages it itself?

Clear the cache all you want, but it really wont make a huge difference to anything unless you're experiencing slow performance or constant game updating. No real rule on this, depends how much you play.

Yes... My XBox -- Open Tray.

It's the very first option. You can't miss it. :|

Lol. I'm sorry. I meant while there's a game disc inside, not when the tray is empty. Pressing A will run the game in this case.

I never really understood that option, is it that hard to get up and press eject button yourself?

I bet he's been playing the PS3 for a while! :D I know you can do that there.

I never really understood that option, is it that hard to get up and press eject button yourself?

Yeah, same with the possibility of games on multiple discs, "Oh no, I have to get off my fat ass and change discs, imagine how I could've used those 10 seconds in the game?!"