[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

I've got my 360 running NXE now, I don't hate it as much as I though I did. It's ok, but I still have a few issues with it though. The picture seems to be been degraded, everything is all fuzzy and not clear.

Same here, I switch ed to VGA and although the NXE is still a bit blurry, as in not sharp, the game graphics are a lot clearer :p

Just signed up for a Netflix account. I've been thinking about it for the last year or so and this was just the nudging I needed to subscribe. Smart move on Netflix's part; I'm sure they'll get a ton new of customers out of this.

Overall, I'm very pleased with NXE. I couldn't be more happy to be an Xbox360 owner at the moment.

+1

Since I have owned my xbox (Got it in 2007) I have never seen it crash on me. Never seen it freeze or corrupt. However soon as this update was put on, Fable 2 froze during play, the Marketplace froze for 10 minutes before springing to life and finally tonight, Saints Row 2 froze without warning. So I'm pretty ****ed off so far tbh.

i'm having similar issues but with different games [c&c3:kanes wrath, COD4&5] its also kicking me out of parties and causing me to get booted out of online games when i'm looking at my friends list after a couple of seconds of freezing and i put it down to a glitch when i first updated but its becoming very often its happening.

Sweet - I downloaded the GOW2 Last Day theme when it was free as a standard dashboard theme, and now l;ook online and see I can re-download it and it will appear as a premium NXE theme with the custom Friends list backgrounds!

p.s. UNO is the best game out on Xbox 360 right now, wow, just wow...

Face Off: Wii Miis vs. 360 Avatars

Do Microsoft's Xbox 360 Avatars take Nintendo's Miis to the next level?

All said and done, we prefer the make-up of Nintendo's simpler Miis to Microsoft's more customized Avatars mostly because we've been able to more accurately recreate ourselves with the Big N's toolset. That being true, the Avatars show a lot of potential. Where community is concerned, Microsoft's character caricatures are already eclipsing Nintendo's, and we only expect the gap to widen.

face-off-wii-miis-vs-360-avatars-20081120051529073-000.jpg

Read the full article: http://wii.ign.com/articles/932/932455p1.html

that's what I've said all along! the wii has a more robust avatar customization system

Facially yes, because they allow you to manipulate things more. We need to be able to shrink eyes, noses, lips and move them about.

However below the head, obviously NXE wins :p

Facially yes, because they allow you to manipulate things more. We need to be able to shrink eyes, noses, lips and move them about.

However below the head, obviously NXE wins :p

honestly, it really doesn't really matter below the neck. just look around neowin. how many avatar twins do you see?

honestly, it really doesn't really matter below the neck. just look around neowin. how many avatar twins do you see?

Quite a few, think I have some stalkers :shiftyninja:

Needs the facial modifying so that even when people do pick the same eyes, or same nose/hair/etc, they can be individually tweaked to look "different".

MS aren't going to charge for eyes and noses, so they have nothing to lose with making the system more robust. Money is to be made from accessories and clothes.

I'd argue below the neck is quite important, people who'll get invested in and enjoy using avatars will no doubt also want to express their dress sense/colours they like, etc.

None tbh

Haven't seen any twins either. Yes, there are a few avatars looking somewhat similar but not really. Despite the lacking customizing abilities, each avatar does look very unique.

I also think Microsoft did a great job compared to the Wii considering how new the system is, I'd like to see that comparison in a few months :)

Guys don't forget they will most definitely be adding even more stuff such as clothing and other accessories. I also wouldn't be surprised if they add more facial features.

No doubt :yes:

And don't forget, they'll almost certainly be charging for it =)

It'll be like gamerpics today, there'll be plenty of "free" stuff, but quite a bit of purchased stuff as well.

Hopefully, developers will be happy to make "XXXXXX game t-shirts" and give them away for free to help advertise the games as opposed to making you pay like 80 points for them.

I think they will definitely be watching what Sony offer in terms of premium and free content for Home when it comes to customizing and they'll match it.

And if Sony watch MS to see what they are doing we haev a stalemate with no content :( Always look at the bright side :p

I am sure alot more is headed this way for the avatars tbh

I have a very close friend of my family who works with Microsoft (he's in management.. not sure where) but I asked him if could pass an idea on I had, and he said he'd see what he could do.

My idea was to allow items for your avatar be unlocked with certain achievements.

Say like 1,000,000 kills in Halo 3 would get you a Spartan Armor (ie: Master Chief style) helmet for your avatar.. etc.

He thought it was a brilliant idea and said he'd see if he could pass it on.

I'm hoping he wasn't just being nice... :D

None tbh

:p

balubear.png

audioboxer.png

neoKushan.png

ThatDudeReeg.png

I have a very close friend of my family who works with Microsoft (he's in management.. not sure where) but I asked him if could pass an idea on I had, and he said he'd see what he could do.

My idea was to allow items for your avatar be unlocked with certain achievements.

Say like 1,000,000 kills in Halo 3 would get you a Spartan Armor (ie: Master Chief style) helmet for your avatar.. etc.

I am so down with this idea but I think they'd rather sell it

And if Sony watch MS to see what they are doing we haev a stalemate with no content :( Always look at the bright side :p

But Sony is already behind, so unless they match 1:1 (unlikely) they'll probably try to 1-up Microsoft and we'll see how Microsoft responds ...

I don't want to virtually walk somewhere to see a game trailer or to play a game with friends. I don't want to make conversations with people that don't have a headset. I don't want to do the robot with chicks who are really dudes.

By the way, I'm not a hater...I'm taking the plunge on ps3 in dec.

I am so down with this idea but I think they'd rather sell it

Actually, this idea was already talked about when news of Avatars and their customizations first started appearing. I also wouldn't doubt that they'll do it, it'd essentially be Microsoft's answer to Sony's Home Trophies (whenever that actually rolls out).

I know for a fact that there will be game-specific accessories for your Avatar, but I'm not sure if those will be 'unlockable' or sold. I would tend to say both as Gamerpics were as well (I remember PDZ had unlockable Gamerpics). I think all you had to do to unlock them was play the game, but still, it could easily be expanded to incorporate achievement getting.

I think gamerscore/achievements to unlock clothing is a better idea. It'd still encourage people to spend money (buying games) but without the feeling that they were wasting money (like on paid gamerpics and themes).