[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

I made my avatar Monday night when everyone who signed up for the preview was allowed in, I think, and it hasn't at all taken away from the experience. I don't even notice it actually. So I don't know what the fuss is about.

It froze on me :( I was downloading a movie too (Froze on active downloads)

By all means please sell your Xbox. We don't want people like you infesting Xbox Live and ruining our experience. You're ridiculous.

I rented my first movie from the marketplace very early last morning. I'll be watching Iron Man in HD sometime tomorrow :D

-Spenser

xD same here

Edit: Just unfroze

So far, I'm liking the update. My dislikes for it are pretty nitpicky. I do think the Netflix app, although good for an introduction, needs some work. I shouldn't have to go on a computer and put movies into a queue - which makes two queues now to manage on Netflix. The 360 should be able to just search through whatever movies Netflix has.

And of course, Video Marketplace is so damn crappy. The movie offerings are terrible and it's full of D-rated movies (how many stupid horror movies do we need?). Microsoft really needs to step that portion up.

edit: Why doesn't my avatar show in my signature?

I have one MINOR complaint with the new dash.

Why does it have to start up to the SPOTLIGHT..

Why can't we make it start up to the MY XBOX thing? :(

AGREED.

Spotlight is just advertising basically. I don't want to see that every time I start up.

I thought you can change the startup item? Go into settings and you can turn off the welcome section (I believe is Spotlight).

No, the welcome section and spotlight are two different things.

Okay here's my experiences after using this:

1.Very messy and hard to navigate. For example:

- Where do I load the game disc? On almost every blade (except MarketPlace) I could load the game).

- How do I know which "card" is selected? No outlining to identify currently-selected item.

- Where's the option to go back to the old blade system. Not many people like instant drastic changes, including me. Then when I'm ready I could go back to the new one. This is like forcing everyone to buy Vista just because MS is locking out downloads for XP.

- What do the friends icon change. Yeah I can see offline friends are just standing there and sleeping but things around their characters keeps changing. What do those means?

2. Why change? What's wrong with the blade system? They should have at least improved on it. Now they will have to spend more time working out how to design the next xbox. This should be reserved for the next xbox, not have 1 xbox have more then 1 design.

Though I have some good points about this:

- Detailed gaming information about me.

- Case shots for fast identification of games.

- Aviators makes paying for game aviators pointless.

-

- Where do I load the game disc? On almost every blade (except MarketPlace) I could load the game).

- How do I know which "card" is selected? No outlining to identify currently-selected item.

- Where's the option to go back to the old blade system. Not many people like instant drastic changes, including me. Then when I'm ready I could go back to the new one. This is like forcing everyone to buy Vista just because MS is locking out downloads for XP.

- First card under My Xbox

- Furthest to the left, or furthest card forward

- Push the Xbox Guide Button

Aviators?

Okay here's my experiences after using this:

1.Very messy and hard to navigate. For example:

My Games, or hit the Guide button and hit Play Game

The most prominent card is always the one selected.

Imagine how difficult it would be for them to support two separate dashboards, each with their own Live integration, at the same time. It's a bit much to ask

- What do the friends icon change. Yeah I can see offline friends are just standing there and sleeping but things around their characters keeps changing. What do those means?

The environments around your friends are part of your currently selected theme. I have a GoW2 theme so mine show up as different vehicles or building from GoW2

2. Why change? What's wrong with the blade system? They should have at least improved on it. Now they will have to spend more time working out how to design the next xbox. This should be reserved for the next xbox, not have 1 xbox have more then 1 design.

Next Xbox won't likely be out for another two or three years, and if you seriously think they haven't been planning and working on the next Xbox since this one came out, I'd advise you to think again.

Though I have some good points about this:

- Detailed gaming information about me.

- Case shots for fast identification of games.

-

-Spenser

You mean Avatars?

I prefer the new interface. It is much cleaner and doesn't display those annoying XBOX Live ads all over the place. The Guide button menu is terrific! It is intuitive and I can access anything from that menu. (Y)

Avatar concept is really nice. I think they are as fun as playing a game.

Blah, for some reason my avatar isn't populating at all. I can see it on xbox.com and the picture shows up on mygamertag under my profile but it won't show on the actual signature graphic.

I understand and I apologise if my comments above are a bit negative. I just didn't like drastic changes forced upon me. This should be a optional update. I really do like the avatars, though.

I understand and I apologise if my comments above are a bit negative. I just didn't like drastic changes forced upon me. This should be a optional update. I really do like the avatars, though.

While I understand some people dont like change much, so of the earlier comments, just sounded like you are not used to it yet, I got a little confused at first where I was. I think that will go once I use it more.

We cannot compare this to forcing Vista. In the PC market there are so many options of manufacturers, and configurations, even for OS. Here we have a closed system, made by microsoft, running microsoft OS, they are changing this for the better basically, and its a complete system, so running multiple versions of the dashboard with multiple backends will never happen. Its a closed system to stop modifying and cheating, among other things.

Glad you like the avatars, alot of people that didnt want the new version also didnt want Avatars.

Well, that post was written hours ago. I appreciate the link though.

A lot of people on neowin have their avatars showing properly so it has to be something else other than a path change.

But the Avatar in my sig, is not what I look like now, I changed it last night, and it has not refreshed, so something is going on.

Anyone had any joy getting the new 1680 x 1050 resolution working please? I'm using an LG 22" monitor/TV connected via HDMI, but can't see the option anywhere.

You'll only get that option via a VGA cable. When you're using HDMI you'll only get 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p options.

I use component on my 19" hdtv and the picture quality is great. Tried using VGA and 1440*900 and the picture was a lot more detailed, but more bland, so to say.

Not sure what i'd rather use :(