There is Nothing Wrong with Vista

There is nothing wrong with Vista (and coming from my mouth, that's a lot to say). I used to hate Vista, now I like it a lot. Yes, it had its flaws just like Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP when they were just released but a lot of those flaws have been corrected through Windows Update and SP1. Vista isn't perfect, but what in this world of ours is?

If you want Vista to work for you, you MUST have the correct hardware and latest drivers. If you see my specs, I don't have the fastest, greatest or most expensive computer in the world. hell I don't even think Gateway is a great brand, but that doesn't mean you can't make it better. When I first bought this PC it came with an integrated Nvidia video card which I immediately replaced with an 8800GT that cost me $149.00. Now, if you want Vista to run like it should, you need to update ALL your drivers to the latest and most recent versions, especially the chipset drivers. believe it or not, most people don't bother updating the chipset drivers. They just use the generic ones that Vista installs or the ones that come with the mobo CD which is most likely an outdated driver since they are updated quite often. In my case, I was making the mistake of not updating the chipset drivers - I found out the hard way - plus I only had 3 GB of memory (2.5GB in reality since the hardware uses .5 of that 3GB) so I just recently upgraded the memory to 4GB and now instead of 2.5GB I have 3.5GB to play with. 1 more GB can make a difference since the OS is memory hungry. It doesn't do you any good to have a car if you don't have the wheels to move it with. By this I mean that your CPU might be a Quadcore Intel 3GHz but if you have only 1GB of memory and using an internal video card with outdated drivers, the Intel CPU is not going to do you any good.

Give Vista a chance. Take it from me - I know. Upgrade your memory to 4GB if you are using the 32 bit version, upgrade your video card to something with power and make sure you update ALL your drivers and you will see how that sucker runs.

Vista isn't as good as it could have been. From the solid gold DVD case to the 3D projected interface a la Minority Report...nothing but broken hopes come release day.

Vista isn't as good as it could have been. From the solid gold DVD case to the 3D projected interface a la Minority Report...nothing but broken hopes come release day.

Was the first release of XP any different?

Are we guinea pigs?

Microsoft always does it, they just release an OS that is not fully functional, and then keep patching it whenever something pops up.

It's like a medicine company releasing a drug, and if someone kills from it, they modify it, if someone else becomes paralized, they modify it again.. I wonder how many people lost their data, etc because it took years for MS to release SP 1, 2, 3...

The difference is that upgrading to XP felt like a huge upgrade when you did it.. while upgrading to Vista doesnt feel that big or 'needed' as XP is seen to do everything you need from a OS.

Yes, Vista does the majority (if not all?) things XP does better or smoother and has more features.. its just the main problem is XP is good enough to warrent not rushing to upgrade.

and the other difference is that alot of customers brought 'Vista Ready' computers, only to find that Vista ran like complete crap on them.. hence they are right in saying that XP runs faster for them and they saw it from experience. It doesnt matter if Vista runs faster when you have the right harder, its just the fact that they were told they have the right harder (Vista Ready) and it ran like crap.

Are we guinea pigs?

Microsoft always does it, they just release an OS that is not fully functional, and then keep patching it whenever something pops up.

It's like a medicine company releasing a drug, and if someone kills from it, they modify it, if someone else becomes paralized, they modify it again.. I wonder how many people lost their data, etc because it took years for MS to release SP 1, 2, 3...

You boys are about to get flamed (and not by me!). Resistance is futile....

The difference is that upgrading to XP felt like a huge upgrade when you did it.. while upgrading to Vista doesnt feel that big or 'needed' as XP is seen to do everything you need from a OS.

Yes, Vista does the majority (if not all?) things XP does better or smoother and has more features.. its just the main problem is XP is good enough to warrent not rushing to upgrade.

Upgrading from what, XP Professional to Vista Home Basic?

For me, at least, Vista was a huge improvement when I went from XP Tablet Edition to Vista Ultimate (or Home Premium, as most people would be installing. It's only missing a few administrator-oriented features that home users wouldn't be utilizing anyway). Vista runs faster, it has much better support for my hardware, it's much easier to use, and it sure looks nicer than XP's "Fisher Price" interface.

no shizzle captain obvious?

like 3rd post saying the same damn thing today, its getting annoying.

Edited by Matan Mates

Wow, I feel put out. My copy of Vista came in a plastic case and doesn't do "3D projections." You must've gotten a brochure for Windows 9000 that fell back in time.

Are we guinea pigs?

Find me a company who doesn't have the same issues/fixes for their OS. :)

Off-off-topic: This isn't really a Vista support issue...

The one thing I absolutely hated about XP was that ridiculous Start button. It was too big.

Wow, I feel put out. My copy of Vista came in a plastic case and doesn't do "3D projections." You must've gotten a brochure for Windows 9000 that fell back in time.

LOL :laugh:

One thing i love about XP is that it flys, ive even formatted my new vista laptops and installed xp, its so much smoother. sure the OS is a little old now but i cant see anything that benefits me apart from the fancy graphics which can easily be emulated. I'm sure windows 7 will be a lot more impressive

i dont hate vista but i feel why change something if its (near enough) perfect

yet another vista praise post. :sleep:

hmm

soo you rather vista bushing thread just like the majority , it sound more fun this way :shifty:

For me the biggest improvement in vista is the UI responsiveness. Just try using XP and Vista as power users would do (open multiple windows, browse in IE, carry file copy operations, open/close various programs) then u will notice that XP just freezes for most part while vista appears more smooth. Vista is now come to almost an acceptable level.

My major issue is with GUI inconsistencies (which everyone knows). I hope the UI is unified throughout in windows 7. Also, the WMP 11 cannot handle large music library without crashing every 3rd day. By default some services like tablet pc input are running which have no use for 90% users.

I think Vista is awesome.. when it first came out.. I bought it first day.. and found myself putting it on the self to collect dust because it was horrible.. But now with the SP's and such.. Its amazing.. Plays games great now, and works great..

But as far as being "faster than XP" I disagree entirely.. XP is still faster than Vista.. But I love Vista more

I just installed Windows 2000 on another machine, it is faster than XP and maybe twice as faster than Vista..

Everytime a new OS comes, it comes with bunch of stuff tacked on to it, making it slower, so it is no surprise older OSs are faster on today's hardware.. Remember, your cellphone's configuration probably equals to the technology on the system boards they used to send man to the moon... So I don't really compare OS's on same machine that is meant to run OS like Vista (bunch of crap that people never really use).. Otherwise, I don't mind either one.. Vista, XP, etc.. It is OK.

If you use an OS long enough, you get used to it anyway.