There is Nothing Wrong with Vista

Can you believe it? Ever since I reformatted my computer, Vista is shutting down much faster than before. It used to take a while to shut down and sometimes it would freeze. I guess I had some bloatware running and Vista sometimes struggled to shut it down.

We told you xraffle!. The secret to a fast OS is to do a clean format. Good job!!!!

We told you xraffle!. The secret to a fast OS is to do a clean format. Good job!!!!

Yeah, I should've listened to you guys. And you people are right about XP being outdated. When I formatted my HD, I first tried installing XP before I re-installed Vista, but it didn't work out because my wireless and sound card wasn't compatible and XP didn't support my 1440x900 screen resolution. Everything came out so stretched and blurry and I went to the properties to try and change it to its proper resolution, but it wasn't supported. I mean, come on. It can't even support that resolution. Yeah, XP is getting pretty old.

Looks like I'm the next Scorbing. :D Ever since I reformatted, I'm starting to like Vista. So far, so good. Hopefully, these problems won't re-occur. But as long as I'm careful with what I install, I should be ok.

Edited by xraffle

XP was garbage at a time too, but as Microsoft rolled out service packs it became better and better to the point where people absolutely loved it. I think Vista is the same thing, yeah Microsoft likes to roll out there operating systems in a rush, but they do end up patching them and they usually turn out just fine.

I've used XP Home and Pro in the past and have had absolutely no problems. I'm currently running a Macintosh but as a couple of programs I need are not supported I will be installing Windows on it in the next few days. I'm just deciding between XP Pro and Vista... most likely I will go for the latter.

Most of the new laptops and desktops that are being sold right now are "made for Vista" so when you try to install XP on them, you're going to have some difficulty getting supported drivers from what I've heard. Most of the people who have issues with Vista are usually experiencing some sort of hardware issues, its not really Vista itself.

From my experience OS X is easier to use, but with Windows if your computer literate, you have much more control over everything that goes on the computer. With a Mac there's not alot you have to do, some people like an experience like that, but I prefer the experience where I'm controlling pretty much everything to do with my system.

But Vista is definitely not as bad as people say, yes it was crap when it first came out, but its much better now. :)

Most of the people who have issues with Vista are usually experiencing some sort of hardware issues, its not really Vista itself.

I don't think that's what's causing the issues. Ever since I reformatted my computer, everything is running fine. I think the issues are due to incompatible drivers or software. This is why you have to be careful with what you install.

I think the reason why most people who hate Vista (and there i mean the mainstream, ignorant ect) is because of their computers being OEM.. Full of crap software, and just overbloated. And then theres UAC (no one really likes it) which can be disabled but most people dont know that.. I havent used an OEM windows for ages, i always nLite/vLite my windowses then install them :D so non-bloated.

So, because Linux is much more flexible in configuring, allowing a user to downsize his or her OS resource footprint, you think it should not even be used to feature compare?

How about the other way? Wouldn't it be nice if Vista allowed users to elect a UI that consumed half the resources? Sort of like a Home Basic, but trimming the UI a bit more without the other limitations Microsoft plants into HB to make it less appealing, feature-wise. This isn't saying that Microsoft should open up its software to third parties or be Open Source. Just an alternative "low resource" option provided by Microsoft at no penalty of removing other features.

Linux leverages good ideas from Microsoft and Apple. Why can't Microsoft leverage this good idea from Linux? Certainly they can (and do) leverage other good ideas from each other already. ;)

Actually, it does. It's called "Windows Classic". (Not the XP UI, but the "Windows 2000 Professional" UI. It's listed in Appearance options, below Vista Basic.).

However, the only real reason to select this UI is if you are GPU-challenged (Radeon 7xxx/nV FX series or worse, or onboard equivalent). In most cases, even for integrated/onboard graphics, Vista Basic is not that bad performance-wise; to run Vista Aero, you only need Radeon 9xxx (9600 PRO or better) or nV 6 Series or better (Intel's GMA x3100, AMD 780G, and nV current-generation 7xxx/630i nForce will also work). Unlike Linux, Solaris, or even OS X, Windows' UI tricks are entirely GPU-driven, and require little to no extra CPU horsepower. (I run Vista Aero on my own P4 Northwood-C; the only reason Mom is dialed down to Vista Basic on her Northwood-B is because of her graphics; a mere Radeon 7500, as opposed to my 1650PRO, both AGP.)

Actually, it does. It's called "Windows Classic". (Not the XP UI, but the "Windows 2000 Professional" UI. It's listed in Appearance options, below Vista Basic.).

I was talking about more than just "Aero or Classic". The windowing system could be made a totally replaceable module, and could be replaced with something even more minimal. Say, like a Microsoft-written bb4win, as a standard option.

As for Aero on integrated graphics, it does perform surprisingly well on my wife's Dell laptop with X3100 integrated graphics. :yes: