There is Nothing Wrong with Vista

Don't complicate my life = not complicated (self explanatory)

Reformat HD = complicated

Make up your mind. Reformatting the HD would cause more headaches. If it were that simple, I would've reformatted the HD and install XP instead. But life isn't as simple as that. I've heard horror stories from people who reformatted their HDs.

Reformating is easy unless you are a complete computer noob. All you need is the install media and all the drivers for the devices on your pc. All you do is back up your stuff. Put the install media in your pc and restart it, at the prompt that says press any key to boot from cd you hit a key. It starts the setup, you choose to reformat your driver under the drive options. Next you do the install. After windows starts you install all your programs and device drivers and copy back any info you previously had. I dont even know why I am tell you all this because you obviously dont know enough about computers to even do this let alone give a real opinion about vista. I cant see where anyone who has the specs to run it in 64-bit mode and have all the proper drivers installed would have any problems running vista.

OK, if Vista is so great, then why do many businesses refuse to use it. Where I work, they bought brand new computers and they all came with Vista. Then the IT department reformatted them with XP. Hmm. Why on earth would they remove such a wonderful OS???

Because business IT works differently from consumer IT. Businesses use timed shedules to migrate from system to system. A company doesn't simply modify it's business processes in order to adopt a new operating system.

There is a lot for businesses to get excited about with using Windows Vista. Bitlocker alone would satisfy the legal department as leaking becomes nearly impossible.

However .. every corporation should evaluate for their own sake. Most larger-businesses use a 4 ~ 6 year migration path.

Often every 5 years they buy new hardware and assess different options to run on it. Most companies had a migration in 2004 / 2005 and won't be considering upgrading untill 2009.

Of course you can't just run a vanilla OS (RTM builds) and companies often tend to wait out the first wave of software. This is true with nearly all software out there.

If you saw your IT department throw away Vista either 2 things could have happened:

A - They don't see the value of Vista over XP and have discarded it for business use. They go by the very bitter statement "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", often believing Vista offers nothing new.

B - They evaluated their current scenario and decided the time isn't ripe for their business to move to the new system. In that case it's easier and often mandatory to only use one set of tools (i.e.: Windows XP)

Most businesses don't like mixed up their worktools so they choose to wait untill the whole department/location/corporation is ready to make the move.

These days, however, I see more bitterness in IT pros and it's a real shame they can't look at new tech and new software with a fresh view.

Again .. we understand your view but we ask you not to reply without thinking your answers trough. This is normal IT in a business setting.. you should know about it.

I think it makes a lot of sense that many businesses haven't updated to Vista yet. XP took a while to mature, actually, it kinda sucked up until SP2 was released, and even after that, many businesses waited before they took the leap and updated to it. Now, a couple years later, Vista is here, and it will be the same wait and see game.

Watch, people will be pointing out how Windows 7 must suck because businesses aren't updating to it. The failure of course, is erroneously making the judgment that "because this software is not yet cost-effective, and has been released out of sync with the glacial update cycle of typical large corporations, that it is not suitable for my own needs."

But with Windows, you MUST have that or else your computer is going to get attacked real fast.

I just have the Windows Firewall enabled, no AV, and no UTM appliances. No malware on my machines.

And my machines are connected to the internet btw.

That, I agree on. But this guy is claiming that I can have Vista without any anti-virus software whatsoever.

BTW I use Vista. Heck Ive even used it with UAC disabled and Defender removed.

You dont need to be paranoid about security.

That, I agree on. But this guy is claiming that I can have Vista without any anti-virus software whatsoever.
I just have the Windows Firewall enabled, no AV, and no UTM appliances. No malware on my machines.

And my machines are connected to the internet btw.

BTW I use Vista. Heck Ive even used it with UAC disabled and Defender removed.

You dont need to be paranoid about security.

This.

I can understand AV was essential in the days of XP, where every last bit including your warez (:rofl:) ran with administrator privileges. We're in two-thousand-freaking-eight now, MS realized their dumb mistakes of the past, now you can expect less of these drive-by attacks the first minute you connect to the 'Net.

As for the 'why are businesses wiping off Vista and installing XP' comment, that's been discussed to death already...

Let me try asking this again because maybe people aren't seeing it as I'm not getting an answer. What version of Vista are you people using? I use Premium and so do my friends and family. Maybe it's just Premium that has problems.

Let me try asking this again because maybe people aren't seeing it as I'm not getting an answer. What version of Vista are you people using? I use Premium and so do my friends and family. Maybe it's just Premium that has problems.

I am using premium... It works perfectly. You issues do not look like the fault of vista it looks like a driver/hardware issues.

I am using premium... It works perfectly. You issues do not look like the fault of vista it looks like a driver/hardware issues.

Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but the only problem I have now is AutoPlay not working and shutdown freezing sometimes (I may have fixed the shutdown problem as it seems to be ok now, but I can't be too sure). ALL other issues I had were resolved, but it took a lot of time and patience to fix. If anyone can find out what the hell is causing my AutoPlay to not function, then I'll worship Vista. Yes, I have it enabled and everything. It just stopped working out of the blue and I haven't installed anything to cause any problems. I may start another thread on this issue because this problem is driving me crazy.

Reformatting the HD would cause more headaches. If it were that simple, I would've reformatted the HD and install XP instead. But life isn't as simple as that. I've heard horror stories from people who reformatted their HDs.
Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but the only problem I have now is AutoPlay not working and shutdown freezing sometimes (I may have fixed the shutdown problem as it seems to be ok now, but I can't be too sure). ALL other issues I had were resolved, but it took a lot of time and patience to fix. If anyone can find out what the hell is causing my AutoPlay to not function, then I'll worship Vista. Yes, I have it enabled and everything. It just stopped working out of the blue and I haven't installed anything to cause any problems. I may start another thread on this issue because this problem is driving me crazy.

Based on your posts, I think you need to really think about the way you use a computer. No offense :p

Don't complicate my life = not complicated (self explanatory)

Reformat HD = complicated

Make up your mind. Reformatting the HD would cause more headaches. If it were that simple, I would've reformatted the HD and install XP instead. But life isn't as simple as that. I've heard horror stories from people who reformatted their HDs.

Oh knock it off. My 10 year old knows how to format a PC. If he can do it, so can you. Its not rocket science and whoever told you that formatting a HD is hard and would cause more headaches is a complete moron. Formatting the HD and reinstalling Vista is the best thing to do. I did it. The installation of Vista you got from teh factory has outdated drivers. I guarantee it.

sounds like a driver issue as home premium and ultimate are not that different except for a few features.have you applied sp1?what are your specs?have you checked for malware with malwarebytes?

I can understand AV was essential in the days of XP, where every last bit including your warez ( :rofl: ) ran with administrator privileges. We're in two-thousand-freaking-eight now, MS realized their dumb mistakes of the past, now you can expect less of these drive-by attacks the first minute you connect to the 'Net.

The "runas" command has been around since Windows 2000. I've never had a problem with creating a normal desktop account that is a member only of the "users" group. Use "runas" to install software and system controls and the average Windows 2000 Pro/XP Pro user could be as safe as a typical Linux desktop user. Unfortunately, for standalones PCs with local accounts that were not part of domains, using the user accounts in Windows appropriately never caught on with end users.

The version of Vista you're using makes no difference in speed, performance and stability. Windows uses the same set of tools and installing a "better" version of Vista just simply unlocks more features. Not all features of course are installed when using a more basic version however, again, this has no impact into what issues you're having.

Again, please refrain from bashing the product in this thread if you having (in my opinion very minor) problems with it without you having taken the proper steps to fix them. If you really want them fixed, start a new thread clearly explaining what's not working, what you already attempted to do to fix it and what hardware/software you are using.

Computer don't magicly work .. far from it. Even the closed-loop system of Mac OS X isn't problemfree. Using a computer requires you to analyse the problem and take proper action. It won't just fix itself.

Just like cars .. if changing gears is really hard or the windscreenwipers keep getting stuck, you can't just go around and talk bad about who made the car. It's your car so you need to fix it. Educate yourself and take proper action. If you don't wish to get your hands dirty, or don't know where to start, just hire an expert or take it to the shop. People who use these products and fix these kinds of problems usually know within minutes whats wrong with it. But I'm guessing you don't drive cars...

You have the advantage to go online, start a thread on a forum with well-educated people and ask for help FOR FREE. It disgusts me to see people are too lazy to write up their problems and ask for free help.

Just like cars .. if changing gears is really hard or the windscreenwipers keep getting stuck, you can't just go around and talk bad about who made the car.

Of course you can if there is a manufacturing flaw in the car. Then the manufacturer will fix it. Difference with Windows is that the flaws usually won't get fixed or if they'll do, it happens in the next version of Windows which you'll have to pay for.

It's your car so you need to fix it. Educate yourself and take proper action.

Proper action - don't buy broken products. I won't. <snipped>

Edited by PureLegend

Oh knock it off. My 10 year old knows how to format a PC. If he can do it, so can you. Its not rocket science and whoever told you that formatting a HD is hard and would cause more headaches is a complete moron. Formatting the HD and reinstalling Vista is the best thing to do. I did it. The installation of Vista you got from teh factory has outdated drivers. I guarantee it.

Exactly. Learning to do this is the best thing you can do. It means you are free from having to pay someone else to fix your pc issues. I have pretty much built all the pcs I have used for home use. On my latest system vista installed perfectly with no issues. Once you get good at this you can move on to more advanced stuff like customized installs with answer files that fill in all your personal info for that pc, in addition to that with vista its very easy to integrate all your drivers so that you can install vista and not have to worry about loading drivers later. If you get really good at it then you can pre-load all your software like all the manufacturers do and make your own image. So when you do a reinstall it only takes like 20 minutes tops and you are back to where you were. Its so worth it.

Again, please refrain from bashing the product in this thread if you having (in my opinion very minor) problems with it without you having taken the proper steps to fix them. If you really want them fixed, start a new thread clearly explaining what's not working, what you already attempted to do to fix it and what hardware/software you are using.

But you don't understand. When I had XP, NOTHING had to be fixed. Now I have Vista, I have to fix these issues because I have "crappy hardware/drivers" and stuff. This proves that Vista has a problem with certain hardware. XP never had hardware/driver issues like this. Even when I had a pre-installed XP computer, nothing had to be reformatted. Yes, these problems on Vista can be fixed. No doubt about it, but the fact that Vista is so sensitive that every little thing I do causes problems just proves that Vista isn't very stable. I repeat, I rarely had problems on XP.

Well, wasn't DOS really a pirated version of Unix that Gates sold to IBM 30 years ago? :whistle:

No it wasn't. I think your are getting your stories crossed. BASIC was a programming language that Bill Gates bought, and later re-distributed.

Now I have Vista, I have to fix these issues because I have "crappy hardware/drivers

The manufacturer is the one to provide drivers for your hardware. Dont blame Vista for it.

This proves that Vista has a problem with certain hardware. XP never had hardware/driver issues like this.

An OS needs drivers to interact with hardware. See my first comment.

The manufacturer is the one to provide drivers for your hardware. Dont blame Vista for it.

An OS needs drivers to interact with hardware. See my first comment.

You must all get some kind of commission from Bill Gates for every good comment you say about Vista. Because the responses here are extremely biased. I have problems with Vista and millions of other people do too. This is why Microsoft is letting Dell sell computers with Vista BONUS (which has XP pre-installed). Millions of people are having problems including me. So either you people are getting paid by Bill Gates, or you are all Bill Gates with multiple accounts.

You guys have nothing to worry. Vista ain't going anywhere on my computer. Microsoft forced me to use it and I'm forced to deal with. I can't use Linux as I need Windows for my job. So, don't worry. I'll be using Vista for a long time. But it won't change the fact that it's a pain in my tush.

You must all get some kind of commission from Bill Gates for every good comment you say about Vista. Because the responses here are extremely biased. I have problems with Vista and millions of other people do too. This is why Microsoft is letting Dell sell computers with Vista BONUS (which has XP pre-installed). Millions of people are having problems including me. So either you people are getting paid by Bill Gates, or you are all Bill Gates with multiple accounts.

Why is that people cannot like a product without being accused of being paid parrots from Apple/Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/whatever-tech-company? :rolleyes:

Oh and if you still insist on mixing problems with Microsoft to Bill Gates: NEWSFLASH. It's 2008 and Mr. Gates has for the most part stepped down from the company. Pin the blame on Ballmer instead. :p

edit: One more point, Dell I believe sells Vista PRELOADED, XP's the bonus. Vista Business has downgrade rights for XP Pro allowing anyone to switch between both OSes at will.

Edited by rm20010

You guys have nothing to worry. Vista ain't going anywhere on my computer. Microsoft forced me to use it and I'm forced to deal with. I can't use Linux as I need Windows for my job. So, don't worry. I'll be using Vista for a long time. But it won't change the fact that it's a pain in my tush.

I wish I was getting paid but really no problems here using Vista. I could use the money.